General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-29-2011, 04:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

Default Where did you take your honeymoon??

I've posted here quite abit about my boyfriend, my anxieties, marriage, etc.

Well, life continues. We have both decided that marriage is definitely the way to go, due to extenuating circumstances!! Just kidding. We still love each other and spend all our time together, after almost 3 years. I think that is a pretty darn good indicator of the future.

So, since I am not into spending all my money on a big wedding (which has never been a childhood dream of mine - the white dress thing never interested me), we are simply going to go to the courthouse.

But, we are definitely going to use the saved money for an amazing honeymoon - and traveling IS important to both of us.

I was first thinking Santorini, Greece - but, this doesn't appeal to my German boyfriend at the moment. Greece just doesn't have the same "romantic" connotations to the northern Europeans as it does the Americans. They just see it as the country that retires super early and doesn't repair anything (just a stereotype, I don't mean to offend anyone!).

So, then, together, we were thinking Iceland. We both like active vacations - we could leisurely ride bikes around the volcanoes, go jogging, go to the hot springs, ride ponies, etc. We are still unsure.

I really want to know: How did you spend you honeymoon? What were the highlights? What was your favorite thing about your honeymoon?
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Iceland sounds amazing. I've been married once but didn't have the opportunity for a nice honeymoon (both military at the time).

That said, I know you're asking for experience, but In my defense, I have some great ideas That i would like to do eventually LOL.

Peru - mainly because I want to tour machu picchu

Galapagos islands - gorgeous
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #3  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I went to Oahu... It was beautiful and amazing. Most everything is so pretty it looks fake, lol. I would however, reccomend going more off the beaten path and less touristy. We rented a house off vrbo.com, staying oceanfront in a small town towards the North Shore. It was just us 2, this beautiful view and a rental car with unlimited miles! We explored a LOT and had a GREAT time. We will go back!

Pick someplace that is interesting to you both, but is someplace that you wouldn't dream of going to alone or with family.

Good luck! (And CONGRATS!) lol..
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Ok, I didn't get married yet so I can't give you advice on a honeymoon, but I just wanted to say CONGRATS on the upcoming nuptials !!

Also I am jealous you are going the courthouse route. I would love to be able to do that. For family reasons, I really shouldn't though and my fiancée really wants the party.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I am married, and we didn't really have a honeymoon due to financial issues. But, I have been to Santorini and all over Greece during my time studying abroad, and I will tell you that it is amazing. If it doesn't appeal to your b/f, that's fine but OHMYGOODNESS it is beautiful out there. There are volcano tours and hot springs and plenty of neat places to see; beaches, the beautiful architecture, an d the dream like landscape. It is totally cool.

I am not really certain about where you should go but Iceland sounds really fun as well. Good luck, and have a wonderful marriage!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #6  

Home to bed

Quote:
They just see it as the country that retires super early and doesn't repair anything
This almost made me spew Sunkist all over my keyboard!!

I guess it's hard for me to come up with a good idea, because anywhere the two of you are TOGETHER is going to be fun.

But, with your marriage anxieties and how you're afraid it will affect your relationship--don't look at it as a "honeymoon," because then you may be faced with "well-now-the-honeymoon-is-over" syndrome (?). Just look at it as a fun, fantastic trip that the two of you will have memories of Forever, forever, forever..........

P.S. For what it's worth--Iceland sounds great to me!

Last edited by 4myloves; 12-29-2011 at 09:28 AM.
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #7  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

We did a small destination wedding on one of the San Juan islands in Washington state (Orcas Island) with about 25 or 30 people, then spent our honeymoon in Seattle. Having it locally seemed to come with a lot of.... expectations about who should be invited, and we really didn't want the big blowout. But we also felt strongly about at least having our close family and friends there. So we got to have it somewhere beautiful, perfect weather with a fantastic water view in front of us, and keep it small without hurting anyone's feelings. It also helped that our family is pretty spread out so many were going to have to travel no matter what.

We live in IL and actually drove the whole thing so it was kind of fun to do the whole cross country drive. Though by the end I was so ready to get out of the car.

The whole family being spread out all over thing means our travel money/time usually goes into seeing family, but the next time we have the time/$$ to travel and nothing planned, I would love to do one of REI's travel vacations. Either a hiking one or one of the multisport ones with a little hiking, kayaking/rafting, maybe some cycling. (Insert wistful sigh here.) Not really picky about where!

Btw congrats!! Hope you find something wonderful.

Last edited by Somni; 12-29-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I really appreciate everyone's contribution. I also just love reading other people's stories!!

4myloves: great point - I do need to plan the trip "lightly" and not bring any anxiety into the mix.

I think because everything is old here, the old doesn't have the same appeal or effect that it has for Americans.

Somni: Last year, we actually spent 2 weeks in the Seattle area - we also went to the main national parks in Washington and of course the beach..... it was amazingly beautiful and one of the best trips we've taken as a couple together.

fatferretfanatic: Thanks for letting me know Santorini is fantastic - I'll definitely keep it in mind. Greece isn't out of the picture just yet. Trips to Greece at the moment are actually quite affordable right now due to the financial crisis.

kateleestar: I have always wanted to go to Hawaii. I think it might be a bit too far away for this trip, but it is definitely on our "to-go" list.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

I'm a simple girl....My husband rented a GORGEOUS, fully-stocked, very modern wood cabin/condo/loft in the middle of nowhere with absolutely EVERYTHING we could ever need (jacuzzi, etc.). We live busy lives and we didn't have a phone or a tv (LOVED IT!!!!). The cabin looked like something on the cover of a magazine. My husband decorated the cabin in white lights (on the inside). It had an old book collection with amazing old poems that we read near the fireplace. Amazing trip, amazing experience!!!
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #10  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

I kind of had two although neither were right after we got married. We did 10 days on Oahu in 2009 and a week in Curacao this past summer. Both are beautiful and we had a really good time. Did the shark cage thing in Hawaii and spent the day on a deserted private island snorkeling and hanging out in Curacao.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

We haven't had one (poor planning/timing of baby!) but we are considering Greece as well or the south of France. We have also been to Seattle a few times (originally from 2 hours north of there).

If I could do it all over again, just the two of us and not care about being back home for our child, I think we'd go to Australia. It's one of those places you probably won't go back when you start a family, not for a good 10-15+ years (due to such a horrendously long flight), I would love to go.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #12  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

We did a road trip for our honeymoon, with the destination being seeing my family in California (we live in Alaska - flew down to Seattle and then drove to a bunch of hotels and b&bs on our way down the coast).

I'm not sure I'd have done it the same way again. Something closer to home and less event-driven. Finding a nice hotel or bed and breakfast and sleeping in, watching movies a few days, then maybe some hiking and such, that would be my ideal in hindsight. Less complicated, less stuff, more time enjoying one another's company and relaxing.

Iceland is pretty. New Zealand is, too.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unna View Post
I've posted here quite abit about my boyfriend, my anxieties, marriage, etc.

Well, life continues. We have both decided that marriage is definitely the way to go, due to extenuating circumstances!! Just kidding. We still love each other and spend all our time together, after almost 3 years. I think that is a pretty darn good indicator of the future.

So, since I am not into spending all my money on a big wedding (which has never been a childhood dream of mine - the white dress thing never interested me), we are simply going to go to the courthouse.

But, we are definitely going to use the saved money for an amazing honeymoon - and traveling IS important to both of us.

I was first thinking Santorini, Greece - but, this doesn't appeal to my German boyfriend at the moment. Greece just doesn't have the same "romantic" connotations to the northern Europeans as it does the Americans. They just see it as the country that retires super early and doesn't repair anything (just a stereotype, I don't mean to offend anyone!).

So, then, together, we were thinking Iceland. We both like active vacations - we could leisurely ride bikes around the volcanoes, go jogging, go to the hot springs, ride ponies, etc. We are still unsure.

I really want to know: How did you spend you honeymoon? What were the highlights? What was your favorite thing about your honeymoon?
iceland is a great idea! anywhere in northern europe or scandinavia would be amazing. me and my bf plan to go on a tour of all the summer metal festivals of europe for our honeymoon or if we do that before we get married we will probably honeymoon in scandinavia regardless. my bf wants to go to germany but im part german and have been with a german man before so its nothing new to me where as helsinki would be amazzinggg. i think iceland is a great choice i warn you though they do eat sheep face. it looks terrifying loll but of course every culture has weird foods. we eat that here too in newfoundland. you dont have to eat sheeps face of course lmao but just letting you know so youre not surprised to see a sheeps head on a plate (is that how they prepare it in iceland, no idea but here yea lol)

Last edited by CherryQuinn; 12-30-2011 at 02:59 AM.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

We did a bit of a destination wedding, as I was in the US, he was in the UK and I was living in the northeast with my folks to save money to move over to the UK and save up for the wedding.

We were married in FL on the beach, one that we both had good memories of, and spent a few days there frequenting our old haunts, and then flew up to the Maryland/PA area to have a wedding party so that those who couldn't make it to our wedding could see us and say congrats. It also gave me the chance to say good-bye to loads of friends and family because I'd spent a good deal of time abroad already with my new hubby, buy I also knew that I wouldn't be seeing them for a least another year or two, so it was nice to be able to sort of close that chapter of my life.

My favourite thing about my honeymoon was the chance to sort out loose ends in the US and say good-bye - not a very fun notion, but something I appreciated because I knew how long trips back to the US could take due to work commitments and money.

We didn't really do a traditional honeymoon as you can kind of tell, but we did have a laugh seeing different parts of MD and PA, with loads of mini road-trips to museums, wineries, and national parks in between seeing relatives, as well as quite a bit of shopping for electronics and clothes.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #15  

Koh Samui, Thailand! Fantastic but too short-only 8 days but loved it!
Bijoux00 is offline   Reply With Quote