Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-26-2011, 01:04 AM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Societal mixed messages

I'm feeling a bit cranky tonight, trying not to binge so please don't judge me for this mini-rant.

I am so tired of looking everywhere (t.v., magazines, websites, etc.) and I see one image of a skinny woman or discussions of how to drop weight and the very next image is one of some tempting desert or meal or something that sets of a message to my brain that says: consume me, you can't live without me! You need this now!

I know it all comes down to money. Sex sells, image sells and people also are tempted by the images of food since that is what the primitive, impulsive part of our brain seeks out.

I'm just really tired of it. I want to do this. I've reached goal and have gained some recently, so I"m struggling and so far not getting too far off track, but it's with my claws out and gritted teeth. It's not easy. I'm not saying it would be easy without all these conflicting messages. I just want to vent. I'm bloated, tired and just wish it were a bit easier sometimes.

Thanks so much for listening. I really love this group.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #2  
Vegetarian college girl

S/C/G: 185/157/140

Height: 5'9"

Oh gosh yes. Not sure if this is a savvy consolation but you're not alone if you feel like marketing schemes are conspicuously sending conflicting messages. Marketing and media is all madness. I think we're lucky to have an online social group where all that mess can be clarified and/or debunked where needed. It's nice
wtfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:27 AM   #3  
onedayatatimer

That's true wtfudge (love your name, btw!). I do feel every so grateful to this site...it's such a nice respite from what we are bombarded with on a regular basis.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

Yeah! the messages are really confusing our:

immediate desires
long-term goals

I find this problem often when looking at pinterest - some people post pictures of the fittest women you've ever seen, while others post pics of the most delicious, interesting recipes you've ever seen! My mouth is salivating and stomach is growling, at the same time I'm making resolutions to limit all my sweets to fruits only, eat more salad, and do more weight training.

Ack - i'm SO conflicted! My poor little brain is all over the place!

Last edited by Unna; 12-26-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/235/130

Height: 5'2"

this is so true! you can't go anywhere without seeing all of this plastered everywhere. I stopped buying magazines for this very reason..every time seeing these perfect looking women I know are photo shopped with wild abandon but still I think that must be the ideal..then comes the whipped cream and chocolate pudding ad on the next page. Uff! it's tough..
Karig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #6  

And that's what sells the magazines - skinny people eat too.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #7  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Advertisements are made to sell things, and manufacturers, vendors, and advertisers don't care about you or have your best interests in mind.

If seeing advertisements makes your life more difficult, try to minimize your contact with them.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #8  
onedayatatimer

I appreciate all of the responses....just knowing that I'm not the only one who feels this way provides some comfort. I have been trying to limit my exposure, that's for sure, but it ain't easy. I'm feeling a whole lot better today so it doesn't seem like as much of a problem as when I posted originally.