Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 01:10 PM   #1  

Question Exercise......advice pretty please

How do you start and stay started? I walked two nights in a row. the first night I felt positive, empowered and hopeful. The second night I felt tired, blistered and like I had my a** kicked. The first night I walked 45 minutes and the second night I think I might have walked 20. I feel like such a baby. I know that the only way out of where I am now is exercise....
Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 07-20-2003, 02:36 PM   #2  

Coleen, I think that the secret is that you have to do it, even when you don't want to. You have to force yourself until it becomes a habit. After 7 months of regular exercise, I still don't like it and I still don't look forward to it most days. It's become a habit though, and I fell too guilty if I don't do it, so I make sure to do it.

Even if you cut your exercise short on the second day, that's okay, just go again the next day and aim for your whole time. Remember too that it's okay to start off slow and work your way up. Go every other day, or go for shorter amounts of time until you build your stamina up. Doing anything at all is better than doing nothing.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:55 PM   #3  
Student of the Hoof

It also helps if you either find something you really enjoy (some people love to ride bikes, some love to run, kickbox, horseback ride, swim, rollerblade, etc.) OR if you find something that makes something not so enjoyable a pleasant thing. I put on headphones when I use the treadmill and that becomes my music time. I don't get much of a chance to listen to the music I really enjoy, so it makes it something I can really look forward to. Since I'm trying to change my whole life, not just "diet," it has become very important to me to make sure that this will be something I do for the duration. Besides, it's so much more fun when you're having fun!
Old 07-20-2003, 05:33 PM   #4  

Default How to start?

When I started with WW I was over 400 pounds. I've since lost just shy of 75 pounds so I am still over 300 pounds. I just tried to think of what someone my size could do to begin an exercise program. I can walk so I started the Walk Away the Pounds videos and now do that 3 times a week. Then I added Curves and do that 3 to 4 times a week. I try not to miss a day doing something because I like the way it makes me feel. Exercise has also kept my asthma in check (believe it or not).

I did start using the Body Flex System today -- great resistance training. I was shocked that the claims made on the infomercial were true regarding the resistance. It is a very easy system -- from what I've seen today.

So, basically, I just wanted to start moving and really enjoy all three things so far.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by LighterLisa; 07-20-2003 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:08 PM   #5  

Coleen, maybe you started out a little strong for the first day. If you arent used to exercise, start out a little slower. Walking 20 minutes every day for a week would be better for you than walking a long 45 min one day, 20 the next and none the rest because you're sore or too tired or overwhelmed or whatever. I started at 1 mile a day and it took awhile to go that far. I now walk 4 miles in an hour. Raven's music suggestion is great....put on headphones and it passes so much faster!! The biggest thing is find something and stick to it...I've been at a plateau for many weeks now and get really frustrated but I keep telling myself just dont give up and eventually the weight has just got to start coming off again! Good luck and come to 3FC anytime you get discouraged...that always helps me the most

Miki
Old 07-20-2003, 10:26 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

i'm with miki... start with 15 minutes or so and increase it gradually. the key is consistency. a little every day.

remember: most people walk a mile in 15 minutes, so even that little bit of time is worth a lot!

it DOES work. i started out counting paces... first 20, then 30, then 40 [it was 40 paces to the end of the driveway, and 100 to the neighbor's driveway!], then down the block. and then down the block and around the corner..

and now, yesterday, i hiked for 2 hours!

Last edited by jiffypop; 07-21-2003 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:55 PM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Yep, that's what I say, too--start out 15 min at a time, then work your way up. Consistency is key.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:21 PM   #8  

You just have to keep at it until it forms a habit. And just a little bit at a time definetly counts. Do what you have to, but get it done. My little trick is that I borrow books on tape from the library and only listen to them while walking. Getting lost in an excellent story really helps to pass the time.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:33 PM   #9  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Another thing that helps for me is to incorporate more activity in my daily life, as well as "excercise" time. Those extra little bits really add up. Taking the stairs once or twice a day, parking a little farther away, getting off Metro one stop early and walking the rest of the way, taking a break from my computer during the day and walking the hallways.

That way, if I've at least MOVED for 15 minutes a day, I don't wallow in guilt at missing a half-hour Tae Bo session or something.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:25 AM   #10  

Angry

Thank you all VERY much!! I feel better just reading your encouraging messages. You are all a bunch of losers ( the good kind). Wow! I'm impressed at the losses and how well you have done. I'm going to start out a little slower this time around. I think I was too gung-ho. When I have walked, I have walked outside in the evening ( which I like). One of my goals is to work toward walking in the morning. I am going to be going to visit a family member for a week soon and she lives in the desert. I know I won't be walking outside there. But, she has a treadmill and I will try that ( even though I also have a treadmill and don't like it ). I'm going to make exercise a habit!!!
Old 07-28-2003, 09:14 AM   #11  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Another thing that helps me is to think about my excuses ahead of time, and come up with strategies to deal with them.

I'm too tired -- you'll feel better after you exercise

I don't have time -- then just do five minutes. you can always stop (but I usually don't)

I can't exercise when there are toys all over the room, or the carpet hasn't been vacuumed (I exercise barefooted, so this stuff really bothers me) -- plan ahead and clean, or do something that doesn't use that space, like taking a walk or working in the garden.
Closed Thread