Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #1  

Default I just want my body back

I do realize that I am not heavy. I do realize also that posting this may make me sound like "ridiculous" in the sense that there are a lot of people "worse" off than me BUT everyone is different and this is the weight(s) I usually circle around so please bear with me.*

I currently eat like how I use to eat which is pretty much healthy for last 18 Days, but I am curious about work out (calories) with my RMR or RMR SEDENTARY... that's what I need answered.

I want, well I'd prefer, to weigh 105 pounds to 107 pounds on the scale again. I recently became very depressed and I put on 10 or 11 Pounds in 12 Weeks. Its really affecting my social life as I am a bit "anal" about how i look to others or well i guess how i look to myself. I am 22 years old, 5'2, & I would just like a little help.*

My RMR tells me that: 105 Pounds= e.g.

Your RMR is : 1,169.440 Calories Your RMR (Sedentary) is : 1403.328 Calories

Now, when i work out, and burn 300 Calories, do i add that to my RMR or RMR SEDENTARY?*

I ask because for awhile now i have been maintaining on my own & its rough because i think i may be wrong. Weight should not be that difficult to maintain. Please help me out here with what my NET Calories should be!!?!?!?!*

Thanks in advance
Lovelyminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

You don't add in your exercise calories. Some people do this but most people are not good at estimating - it takes a LOT to burn 300 calories at your size. Since you are striving to a goal that is almost underweight you may want to consider focusing on body composition through exercise/strength training rather than the scale.

I won't laugh at you - I too would just like to be as "before" (my baby) even though I am perfectly healthy weight right now. That is natural. But sometimes the scale, especially when we are not 'big', is not the best indication - body composition is.

Sorry, weight IS difficult to maintain though! I've done it for 8 years and holy moly, it is harder than losing! We're not getting any younger and that doesn't help. Your body/weight does change with time and it's harder to maintain as you age.

1400 without subtracting exercise calories sounds about right - try it for a good month or two and evaluate from there. You will nto lose rapidly at this size anyways, if you want to maintain your health.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #3  

Yeah I'd just like to know when I burn 300 to add it to RMR or RMR sedentary. It obviously works for me adding it to my RMR when i was 105 Pounds for mostly all my life.

Thanks anyway.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Do you mean BMR? I don't know what RMR is (BMR is basal metabolic rate)
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

If you're going to disregard sound and thoughtful advice, why bother posting for advice...?

What Sacha says is true. Calorie estimates from exercise are a complete crapshoot - you don't know how many calories you've burned. It varies drastically from person to person and even very tiny differences in effort level can produce wide variations in the amount burned.

Often calorie counts for exercises are showing only the total amount burned - NOT the net difference in burn. It includes calories that you would have burned anyway just from being alive, when what you want to add to your food count is only the additional calories burned. Unless you're exercising in a lab hooked up to a bunch of machines, you just don't know what that is anyway. You're just as well off using trial-and-error and going off how your body feels and responds than trying to crunch it out mathematically.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 168/148/135

Height: 5'8"

While it's impossible to know exactly how many calories exercise burns, I still think estimates on the low end are a useful tool in weightloss.

For example, when I work out I enter my weight about 10lbs lower than I actually am. Then, I subtract 50-100 calories (depending on how long the workout is) from whatever the machine says. I add those to my daily allotment of 1500 calories. So, a lot of times I eat over 1500 calories, but when I include what I've burned I still create a deficit. I've lost 15 pounds doing this. I initially figured out my calorie allotment based on "lightly active", because aside from my time at the gym, I'm usually very busy/running around most days.

Also, when I'm tracking foods, I always over estimate the calorie count as well.

It's important not to OVER estimate how much you're burning. But as long as you're UNDER estimating I think it's useful to track approximately how much you're burning and figure it in with your daily intake.

Last edited by lissvarna; 12-24-2011 at 02:39 PM.
lissvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:02 AM   #7  

Sacha,

I do not use BMR. RMR Is what I use as through research I understand that BMR Is an overestimate of what the body burns.

The Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) is an estimate of how many calories you would burn if you did nothing but rest for 24 hours.

The RMR (Sedentary) is a more reasonable estimate of how many calories you would burn on an average day, with little to no exercise and having a desk job.

Last edited by Lovelyminnie; 12-25-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:06 AM   #8  

Chill out xpunge. You don't have to be so bold and nasty with your comments. Who are you to say that I did not take into consideration what Sacha said, are you a bloody mind reader?

Last edited by Lovelyminnie; 12-25-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:18 AM   #9  

Lissvarna,

Wow; yes this makes sense. I too try tO go on the low end. It's better to underestimate than overestimate... Thank you so much.

When I work out I actually subtract only 20 Calories hahaha As I go super hard on the bike -near 5 mph and burning over 300 Calories on bike in less than an hour ... I figure after reading your reply that I guess I am ok because typically you would burn around 220 on bike going at average speed you know? I don't however want to subtract 100 Calories after working out so hard ..make sense?-As I do not think that would be helpful. Perhaps I'll try -30 Calories from my hard short workouts. Net Calories are important to me so I deff want "help" In that area. I think I'll continue to use what the exercise bikes say in regards to calories burned while subtracting the 20 but I do agree with you on Over estimating and tracking. Thanks.

To Sacha,

Thank you so much because this gives me a different perspective about weight. You state that you have more "weight" on the scale yet you are thinner looking than ever. That is great and no we are not getting any younger so those numbers on the scale cannot stay the same. Thank you kindly. This is my first ever diet forum online thing that I have joined and wow what great help thus far. I wanted to get some opinions on weight -overall and specific and I think I'll be ok btw With myself.

Question, light weights add more weight on scale right? Lol how much weight do I pick up here anyway???! I was always scared of weights and resistance ...
Old 12-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyminnie View Post
I do not use BMR. RMR Is what I use as through research I understand that BMR Is an overestimate of what the body burns.
You need to do a bit more research.

BMR and RMR are very similar - BMR is measured under more strict conditions.

Regardless - I'll repeat what has been stated more than once on this thread.

All formulas be they BMR or RMR are estimates only and may or may not represent what you actually burn. This is because people vary a bit. If you look at the data from which the forumlas were created you would see how true this is. The only way to know for sure is meticulous tracking over time.

As for actual advice - based on your stated goals I'd try to lose 1/2 a lb a week which would mean eating about 1100-1200 calories a day. Unless you actually are burning 300 calories a day in which case I'd eat around 1400 calories per day. In my opinion, trying to lose weight any faster at your size would be counter productive.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:31 AM   #11  

Thanks JohnP
Old 12-25-2011, 02:35 AM   #12  

All such great advice. Really
Old 12-25-2011, 02:59 AM   #13  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I don't count my work outs, I don't even try to figure that out. I do it, because I found a workout program I like, and look forward to doing. It makes me feel good.

I track my eating, the workouts are bonus!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:17 AM   #14  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I would like to have the body I had at your age. Not gonna happen. Twin babies that weighed over 6 pounds each.

It is what it is.

At 52, I am honestly so happy with my body it's nuts. Stretch marks, some still hanging on cellulite, a totally flat behind. Among other things. But, I'm rocking what I have. My hub is still chasing me around! He thinks I'm the hottest thing ever!

For my age and what I've been through, I think I look pretty good. I'm not into the whole math thing.

Eat clean most of the time. Indulge with planning. Exercise a reasonable amount.

The biggest thing is LEARN your body.

No human body is the same as the one standing next to you.

BMR's, RMR's, RHR, BP, whatever. It's all relative to what works for you. All those statistics, are nothing more than averages. All that does is gives you a base line to start with, and the rest is up to the individual, to figure out what works for them.

Merry Christmas!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #15  

I do eat clean again; back to normal eating basically for me. It's just that 12 weeks ago I wasn't

Thanks for response.
Merry Xmas!