Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #1  
Lord of the Jeans

Height: 5'4''

Unhappy Peanut Butter Stress

Hi everyone! So I had some peanut butter on top of banana slices for a snack, and now I'm totally feeling like I shouldn't have because this peanut butter has 15 grams of fat in 2 tablespoons. I'm pretty sure I didn't go over 2 tablespoons, but still, 15 grams of fat?? That seems like a big number. Am I wrong? Am I freaking out over nothing? I mean, 15 grams!!!
leaningonthelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Don't freak out!! Peanut butter is actually pretty nutritious! It's high in protein

Last edited by sontaikle; 12-20-2011 at 01:35 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #3  
Lord of the Jeans

Good point! I'm trying not to freak out too much. That's what I told myself when I decided to have it, that it was high in protein...but it's soooo high in fat!!! Maybe it isn't all bad fat...I didn't get that far down the label. I just saw 15 grams of fat and that was it, I hit the floor lol.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Peanut butter is healthy and satiating. There was actually a study pretty recently that showed people who ate peanut butter tended to eat less overall.

15 g of fat is relative. More and more they are finding that fat is not the evil it was once thought to be either in terms of weight or heart health. In fact LOWFAT might be far more dangerous to your health than high fat. Even saturated fat is being shown to be not as damaging as they thought.

The question is not "should you eat peanut butter?" The question is what would you have eaten if you hadnt eaten peanut butter? Was peanut butter what you wanted? Are you satisfied with what you ate?

Peanut butter is very calorically dense so it is one that is worth measuring until you get a really good feel for what a serving is.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #5  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I had 1 tblsp on oat nut toast and a banana today for breakfast. Don't sweat it. Just because you are on a diet does not mean you should have to exist on fat free, sugar free, broiled only meats and plain veg. A healthy diet incorporates fats into it because your body needs fats to process protein and keep your skin moister and eyes and organs healthy. You didn't eat a jar, you don't eat it every day. You'll be fine.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #6  
Lord of the Jeans

sontaikle, I also have to say you look AWESOME in your pics! What an inspiration! And I totally want your Yoshi shirt!
Old 12-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Peanut butter is nutritious and delicious, particularly the unsweetened kind.

There are about 200 calories for 2T of peanut butter. Don't stress over it! It should tide you over longer than the banana would alone. If it doesn't fit into your plan, next time maybe measure out 1T instead.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

A fair amount of that fat is GOOD fat! I wouldn't sweat it.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #9  
Lord of the Jeans

thanks for the encouragement, everyone! ennay you are right, what would I have eaten had I not eaten peanut butter?
And 124chicksinger that is true, it's not like i eat it every day... it's so easy to freak out when you're dieting! And i've only just started really paying attention hard to what i eat. I SOOOO appreciate everyone's comments!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #10  
Lord of the Jeans

Thank you Munchy and ArtyKay! You guys are so right. I'm glad you all helped me see the GOOD side of my choices! Too often I just mull over the bad side til I get dragged down. So glad I found this forum
Old 12-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaningonthelord View Post
And i've only just started really paying attention hard to what i eat.
Paying attention is 80% of it. Honestly I have never not lost weight when religiously paying attention, even when what I paid attention to was a binge or a party.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #12  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Yes, I agree, don't freak out. I'm sure there are plenty of other things that are WAY WORSE for you that you eat, lol... No worries. PB is good!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaningonthelord View Post
Thank you Munchy and ArtyKay! You guys are so right. I'm glad you all helped me see the GOOD side of my choices! Too often I just mull over the bad side til I get dragged down. So glad I found this forum
It can be hard not to see the bad side.

Fat and carbs can be good...I'm trying more and more to eat mostly good fats and good carbs. Then I can feel good about it after eating it and not give myself a guilt trip.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #14  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

honestly? i didn't start having pb issues until about 185 lbs.

and when i say pb, im talking 6-7-8 tbls, it's not an issue!! just enjoy it, its nut fat, it's good for you
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #15  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

It makes me so mad that people arer afraid of fat. Mad at the media and they crazy anti fat hype they propagated. We need fat people!! And good fats carry nutrients you can't get elsewhere. Same with avocados. Same with egg yolks. Fat is not bad. Just limit meat fat, but hardly anyone needs to worry about fat from vegetable sources.

I eat 3 tablespoons of PB nearly every day with apples and cinnamon. It's my lunch 90% of the time and I've lost 80 pounds this year and lowered my bp and cholesterol too by eating fat!

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 12-20-2011 at 02:58 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote