Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 301.2/212.4/135

Height: 4'11

Default potato bread?

Is potato bread betterthen wheat bread? Or is it just as bad as white bread
babygurl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You keep asking a lot of very general questions about whether foods are "good" or "bad"...the answers really depend on what sort of plan you're following and what your goals are.

Potato bread is about equivalent, in terms of whole grain content, to white bread. 100% whole wheat bread is made with whole wheat grains, so it is likely to have more fiber and nutrients. They'll probably all weigh in about the same number of calories.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

In potato bread, some of the flour is replaced with potatoes. Wheat bread is healthier for us than white bread because of the additional fiber and nutrients. It is possible to get a healthier than normal potato bread if it is a wheat potato bread. But by and large potato bread is not better for you then 100% whole wheat bread.

Btw, if a "wheat" bread doesn't list "100% whole wheat" then it could have very little true wheat flour, be darkened artificially, and not be much healthier than regular white bread. I've found that high fiber content is a decent indicator of how good the bread is for me.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #4  

Well excuse me for asking to much but i don't know okt. I never heard of my potato bread so I ask. I'm on s low calorie diet. I thought this website suppose to help ppl I didn't kno it was certain things I culd asks. My bad I won't ask nothing else no more. I'll just read and reply to posts. Thanks for the help anyway.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renwomin View Post
In potato bread, some of the flour is replaced with potatoes. Wheat bread is healthier for us than white bread because of the additional fiber and nutrients. It is possible to get a healthier than normal potato bread if it is a wheat potato bread. But by and large potato bread is not better for you then 100% whole wheat bread.

Btw, if a "wheat" bread doesn't list "100% whole wheat" then it could have very little true wheat flour, be darkened artificially, and not be much healthier than regular white bread. I've found that high fiber content is a decent indicator of how good the bread is for me.
Thank you so much
Old 12-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm so sorry if the way I responded came across as offensive! Here's the point I was trying to get across:

Let's say there are 3 people doing 3 different plans.

Person 1 is calorie counting. To that person, white bread and wheat bread have about the same number of calories, so they'd both be fine for a calorie-counting diet so long as they fit into your calorie allowance.

Person 2 is on a Paleo or low carb plan. To that person, NONE of these breads would be "better" than any other...they'd all be off limits on their plan.

Person 3 is following a more whole-foods or glycemic-based plan. To that person, the wheat bread, being from a whole grain, would be a better choice than white or potato bread.

I was just trying to point out that without knowing what plan you're on, it's hard to give you good advice! Please don't stop asking questions - but you might want to move your posts to the "Calorie Counters" forum, so you'll know that the answers you get will be from other calorie counters, not from someone who'd give you the answer for a low-carb plan or some other answer that doesn't apply to your situation!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Hey babygurl! Just to echo what mandalinn said, one of the reasons dieting is so confusing is because different foods are "good" and "bad" based on what plan you are on. There is so much conflicting information about food and nutrition that it's difficult to say which foods are universally "good" or "bad."

For example, I don't eat processed foods but I do eat natural sugar, so fruit is always "good" for me. Some people think sugar is the worst thing we can put in our bodies and think fruit is only sometimes "good," depending on the quantities and type of fruit. Who is right? Unfortunately it's unclear- there's a lot of evidence for and against each argument

Calorie counters usually don't think of food in terms of "good" and "bad" but high calorie and low calorie. This is the nature of calorie counting-- everything is okay as long as it fits within your calorie count.

I hope this helps. 3FC is a wonderful resource- I think many of us (myself included) came here with little knowledge and have learned a great deal from others on the board. I do hope you stick around and ask more questions so we can all learn from each other
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygurl12 View Post
Well excuse me for asking to much but i don't know okt. I never heard of my potato bread so I ask. I'm on s low calorie diet. I thought this website suppose to help ppl I didn't kno it was certain things I culd asks. My bad I won't ask nothing else no more. I'll just read and reply to posts. Thanks for the help anyway.
You need to relax and let people know what plan you're on before asking general questions or stick to the specific forums for each plan. Like mandalinn82 and iniblue said, foods that are good on one plan are bad for another plan. People in each of the forums for all of the plans could better help you if you have questions about certain foods. Everyone here is just trying to help, but the best way for us to do that is if you give us the most information possible.

Is Potato bread better than wheat bread? Well it really depends on what your plan is. Why would you choose potato bread over wheat bread? Are you hoping for something lower-carb, less calories, or neither?

Last edited by sontaikle; 12-19-2011 at 10:46 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I just wanted to chime in:

Potato bread of all sorts is quite popular and yummy here in Germany - whereas in America it doesn't get much attention.

In my opinion, it does keep me satiated as long as other whole grain breads. In other words, it is not processed (at least in my case) as quickly as simple white bread.

In calorie-terms, it is nothing special. It is the same as other breads.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote