Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #1  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Default Confession time and why more people should do intermittent fasting

While I might be a relative expert (means I know more than my relatives) on weight loss and exercise I have fallen off the wagon big time.

I'm not looking for advice - I know what I need to do. I just felt like confessing to people who can relate.

I am highly stressed as I have left the world of a steady paycheck to start my own business (insurance agency) and the processed refined crap I used to be able to resist is now finding it's way into my belly. I used to drink very little. Now I am drinking every night and some nights ... a lot.

I used to lift weights three times a week and walk or run daily. Now I am down to lifting 2x a month and running once a week.

I've not gained any weight (actually down 2 lbs) but I've lost muscle and gained fat. My appearance while clothed has not changed but my body looks quite a bit different.

I keep telling myself ... tomorrow ... tomorrow ... tomorrow.

The only thing that has prevented me from blowing up is intermittent fasting. Not eating until the afternoon restricts my intake so even though I can seriously chow down I'm only doing it a couple times a day instead of three.

Thanks for listening.

If this is off topic - feel free to move it.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #2  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

I started IF this week. Tried it last spring and it worked well for me. It's so manageable and flexible. Doing Fast - 5 this week and trying Eat Stop Eat next week to see which one works best for me. It does seem like a sustainable lifestyle, which is what I'm looking for.

I started a 3FC Blog on it this week. Hoping that will help me stay accountable. Having a great experience so far.
Italiannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #3  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Thank you for sharing, John. You know what to do. You know what works. And you WILL DO IT!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Sometimes it's really hard to escale the "all or nothing" mentality. It's almost a culturally ingrained tradition. If we drop one healthy habit, it's like we're conditioned to drop them all.

In my life, the main difference between my previous (unsuccessful) attempts and this one has been my willingness to do what I can, when I can't do everything.

And it's been a surprisingly difficult strategy to learn, because 40 years of cultural conditioning tells me that "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well," and "If you can't do it right, don't do it at all."

Now my motto is "if you can't do it right, do it as best as you can," and "anything worth doing is worth doing poorly, if that's all there's time/energy for," and Doing it half-assed is better than not doing it at all.

I suck at weight loss. I'll never win any awards for speed, perfection, or diligence. More often than not, I miss the mark I set for myself - and I'm still losing weight just by not giving up and doing what I can when I can't do what I want.

I think it's important to remember that we're not juggling one ball with weight loss, we're juggling dozens of them - and dropping one doesn't have to meen dropping them all.

Last edited by kaplods; 12-17-2011 at 03:28 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #5  

Thanks for sharing, JohnP. Actually, I consider you one of a handful of "relative experts" on this forum and always find myself reading your posts with interest. I am sorry you're going through this, and it is a reminder to all of us that no matter how much we logically know what to do, life will get in the way at times.

I tried IF, and I really like the concept. The reason I cannot do it consistently is that too much of my "real" life seems to get into the way. My husband loves breakfast, and at least 2-3 times a week, he likes to go out for breakfast. I don't want to be a killjoy. However, 2-3 days out of the week (usually on days that I'm working late), I'll wait to eat breakfast until 10 - 10:30. That usually means that I just eat a snack in the afternoon and wait to eat dinner. I like when I do that. Even though it may not be technically IFing, it's similar and it's much easier to control my calories this way.

I know you'll get back on track!

Last edited by lin43; 12-17-2011 at 04:56 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I have heard of this method before (IF, I mean); I have some friends that use some form of it in their lives. I even know some folks who only eat one meal a day, others two. They say that if they eat more than that, they gain weight.

There are some different versions. One couple we know do a liquid fast one day a week only, and say that has helped them keep their weight in check (and they do it for spiritual reasons as well). I saw your thread about IF in the Support Groups Forum ...

I am glad for you that you found a way to not regain, after all your hard work. Starting your own business can be very stressful. I'd bet you'll get a handle on things soon enuff. Hope everything works out for you, John ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-17-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Sometimes we just get into seasons of life where weight management, strength training, and overall health and wellness take a back seat to busyness and stress. I know - I was in that strange limbo for the past six months and it took a concerted effort and being well and truly ready to go at it again to make the changes needed to really work on weight loss and wellness.

I am cheering for you (good luck with the business!) to find your new groove. I, myself, am not an IF practicer with any regularity, but like you I have experienced that it helps me manage my caloric intake better when I am stressed, in particular.

Take care, John!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #8  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

John - can you tell me where your IF postings are - I really want to get into this but I've only ever found info on doing it w/ a specific diet that I'm not willing to do.

On the side point, I can relate...while I am working out pretty well my eating is out of control, I used to be so proud to stay away from sweets at work and now I am eating Christmas chocolates/popcorn/anything 4 - 5 times a day...I keep wondering where the heck my will power has gone...and the tomorrow tomorrow thing...yea I'm starting to sound like orphan Annie over here...just stay strong & remember why you started - plus abs will look really good come summer!! Good luck w/ the new career choice as well, it's never easy but very brave to branch out on your own.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #9  
... and a piece of toast.

S/C/G: 170 >:(/152/135

Height: 5'2" <-- well, almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
Thanks for sharing, JohnP. Actually, I consider you one of a handful of "relative experts" on this forum and always find myself reading your posts with interest. I am sorry you're going through this, and it is a reminder to all of us that no matter how much we logically know what to do, life will get in the way at times.

I tried IF, and I really like the concept. The reason I cannot do it consistently is that too much of my "real" life seems to get into the way. My husband loves breakfast, and at least 2-3 times a week, he likes to go out for breakfast. I don't want to be a killjoy. However, 2-3 days out of the week (usually on days that I'm working late), I'll wait to eat breakfast until 10 - 10:30. That usually means that I just eat a snack in the afternoon and wait to eat dinner. I like when I do that. Even though it may not be technically IFing, it's similar and it's much easier to control my calories this way.

I know you'll get back on track!
^^ The bolded? I do that on weekends, mostly because I'm not up at 5:30am. I love eating a b-fast that sticks later on in the morning, a light lunch (sometimes, like today, just a balance bar) then an earlish dinner. I usually end up eating less on the weekend . . well, I do if I'm paying attention to what I eat.

John . . . when you fast all morning do you ever get headaches or the shakes? Sometimes I've had this happen and I just can't deal with it. M-F I'm up way earlier than I'd like and often I'm starving by 7 or 7:30 in the morning. Blarg. I usually ignore that and go exercise but by 9am? Gotta eat. How do you go all morning without eating?
loose seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose seal View Post
John . . . when you fast all morning do you ever get headaches or the shakes? Sometimes I've had this happen and I just can't deal with it. M-F I'm up way earlier than I'd like and often I'm starving by 7 or 7:30 in the morning. Blarg. I usually ignore that and go exercise but by 9am? Gotta eat. How do you go all morning without eating?
There are a couple intermittent fasting threads but what it boils down to is it takes time to adjust. The most difficult adjustment is not eating early. So if you have to eat by 9:00 try waiting until 10:00. Then you can keep pushing the time out.

Most people are mostly adjusted within a week and fully adjusted in a month. I never get hungry till noon or later nor headaches due to not eating.

Of course it isn't for everyone. If you're a natural grazer than you might not like it. Check out the IF threads.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #11  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

You know John, it was because of your posts and advice re: IF I decided to try it myself and it has been my way of life since February. But then I went on vacation in September (visit w/parents in Florida) and it threw me into a tailspin. Had breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday for a week. Then when I got home my personal life and work life changed. Even if I wake up the same time each morning and my work day (hours) was virtually the same, I got out of my comfort zone. Just like you I imagine with your work changes. Perhaps that one change snowballed into other changes for you -- such as eating and drinking? That happened to me.

But now that I am more settled I have found my way back "home". As work/life got more predictable then I was able to refocus. I was able to get back into a workout routine again and eat better.

I hope that happens for you too soon. I know it will!

Thanks for all the advice and support you have offered to not only me in the past but everyone else!

Last edited by ShanIAm; 12-17-2011 at 09:28 PM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #12  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Good luck, John! You can do this.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

JohnP: It was because of you that I decided to take a serious look at IF. It has benefitted my energy level substantially.

When I ate anything before 12pm, I would start to feel super draggy in the afternoon, and I would have to deal with TONS of hunger pangs. I don't ever think I was meant for breakfast. And then I stop eating directly after dinner (no snacking, grazing) to allow my food to digest, resulting in better sleep.

Anyway, I wish we could have more discussion on "when life gets in the way" on this site. I know realistically that I am engaged with losing weight right now, but other goals or events in life will, in the future, take up my time and I will lose focus on calorie counting. I feel like I need to start thinking about/ discuss my back up plan! A planB! If, for example, someone close to me were to pass away (a terrible situation, yes, but also an event that everyone faces at some point in time), I will not have the same mindset I have now - that would be a time when my food scale would get dusty.

But, the majority of people on this site are in the "throes of dieting" - gung ho - losing - that they think they will have that mindset forever. So discussing any issue, such as the one you bring up (stressful career change/ working for yourself) is just often responded to with "Yeah JohnP - You can do it! Get back up on that sattle!"

Well, now we know that your committment and belief in IF has helped you.... it is sort of your natural, or auto-pilot eating mode, that keeps your calories down and helps you to maintain your weight, even if you are not counting every bite and lick.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:50 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

I can totally relate. Every time I've lost and regained weight, it has been around a period of major change in my life. I don't do well with change...I can handle it and do super well, fantastic even, but something else in my life is going to suffer...I'll gain weight, start drinking a lot, start smoking again, be mean to my husband...one of these areas will suffer if I don't get real with myself and realize where I've started sliding.

Its hard to give yourself a reality check, and good for you!

I also do IF. On my days off and when I'm on 2nd shift, I wake up at 8 a.m. and don't eat until about 12:00 to 1:00 in the afternoon, and then dinner's at 7 or 8 with snacks in between but not after. On graveyard shift weeks, that's the only time I eat when I wake up around 4-7 p.m. I don't eat again til 3-6 a.m., depending on when I get hungry. there are snacks in between those two meals though. I don't think I could stay under my calories if I ate 3 meals a day. There's no way..
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:19 AM   #15  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Life changes call for adjustments. Take breath, and figure out what is going to work.

But, you're still going to have to "make" it work, if you are serious. Get out your calendar and block off the time for work outs. Track your food. I think you know the drill!

Staying on track, gives you control, in what now seems like an uncontrollable situation. That's what I keep telling myself when ever things seem to go south, it does help.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote