Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/275/130

Height: 5"5'

Default Day 1 of dieting.. don't know what I'm doing!! Calorie counting?

Okay so today was my first day of dieting and I realized I don't know what I'm doing at all!! I was originally going to do a body type diet and tried that today.. it wasn't to hard but outside of that diet I just don't know what I'm supposed to eat how much of and what not to eat ect.. of course I get a general idea but I see a lot of people talk about calorie counting? Or something that I can work into everyday life? Does anyone wanna explain how this all works to me or is there websites with resources? I wanna do well this time!! But I don't know what I'm doing?? Help?!!
cosmokindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

The only thing that is going to work for you in the long run is something that you can work into everyday life, so its great that that's what you're looking for! You're already headed in the right direction, you just need to decide what's best for you and what you can stick with.

Play around with different things and find out what works for you. This website has a ton of amazing resources, and if you're interested in calorie counting the Calorie Counters forum on the main forum page is amazing. Great people and great resources there. Lots of support in every nook and cranny of this website!

Its definitely something that you could work into everyday life, if it works for you. Some people find it too restrictive, but I personally find that it helps me keep myself accountable and I feel good knowing that I'm being consistent and I have a way of tracking what I'm eating and how much.

Tracking my food intake alongside my weight progress has really helped me form a better understanding of what works for me and what doesn't.

The main advice I have? Don't try and plan everything all at once. Listen to your body and do what's best for it...do this and the weight WILL come off. If you think about sticking to a very specific diet, or think about all the individual pounds all at once it can be very overwhelming. Just take a deep breath and focus on the present.

Welcome to the site, and you can do this!
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Calorie counting works. You will need a good calorie counting book or it can be done online, that is a personal preferance. I like the Calorie King Fat and Carbohydrate Counter, this is a small book with thousands of calorie counts and also calorie counts for fast foods, restauraunts and ethnic food and much more info. Others prefer online calorie counting and there are many of those as well. This is something you can work into everyday life, now and afrer you reach goal.
I plan all meals ahead of time, staying within my calorie allotment.

Last edited by bargoo; 12-15-2011 at 06:39 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm a calorie counter too and got to goal doing it, but what worked for me may not work for you.

Poke around the various forums and look at all of the plans that have worked for people. Find one that you can stick to forever and ask people in those forums for tips and resources. Nobody minds helping someone new and lost out.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

So, what did you eat today? Can you describe it? Did you do an approx. calorie count?
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Size 10-12/Size 8/Size 6

Height: Almost 5'4"

It might be worth exploring how you got to this point. What's your kryptonite? Figuring out why you gained weight in the first place is valuable in figuring out what it's going to take to lose it and keep it off. Think about your mental/emotional health and habits and lifestyle issues.

Use that assessment to pick a couple things to change and start with those. For example, maybe the first week you could give up regular soda and set a goal of 2 hours of exercise for that week. Then each week review your progress and take the next step. By keeping your goals manageable, you'll have a better chance of achieving them. Meeting those small goals will help build your confidence and give you the motivation to stick with it for the long haul. Good luck!
January Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #7  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Bargoo, your weight loss is impressive. May I ask how many calories you consume to maintain? Thanks.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote