Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Egg and cheese breakfast sandwich - ideas to add some pizzaz?

I read another post about the pre-made egg white patties and thought "Hmmmm, I can do this myself". I took the rest of my carton of egg beaters and my silicone egg ring and made five egg white patties.

I put the egg whites on sandwich thins or bagel thins bread with a slice of non fat cheese (and add a splash of light mayo and hot sauce).

YUM.

As it stands, this is the calorie (and PP) breakdown

thin bagel or whole wheat sandwich thin - 100 kcal / 3 PP
nonfat cheese - 25 kcal / 1 PP
2 egg whites (shaped in a nice circle) - 45 kcal / 1 PP
< TBSP light mayo - 20 kcal / 1PP
hot sauce - N/A

190 kcal / 6 PP

Does anyone have any low cal (or low PP for those that are doing WW) YUMMY ideas that I can add to this to add some variety to my breakfast sandwich?
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Crumbled bacon? I know a lot of people freak out at "bacon", lol, but one piece (or even half) will go a long way flavor-wise. Try the "cook this, not that" books, they have some awesome breakfast ideas.
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #3  

I get something similar at Subway once in a while. It includes a very thin slice of "Black Forest" ham, and I have them toss in a few spinach leaves. It gets heated to melt the cheese, the English muffin is toasted. I add hot sauce also, and eat grape tomatoes alongside - love veggies at every meal

You could also pre-make the eggs with other vegetables like roasted red peppers, mushroom, spinach etc.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #4  

Spinach is a great idea.

I'm gonna try spinach and a slice of sandwich meat and then spinach and a piece of bacon (I don't freak out at bacon - bacon makes everything better LOL)
Old 12-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Third on the spinach! Or other veggies - you can even scramble them into your egg white patties when you make them, then have a variety sitting ready to go. I like broccoli and bell pepper a lot in my eggs.

I also love bacon, and just a little goes a long way, or you can put a small amount of turkey sausage or etc in.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #6  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Walmart now has precooked turkey sausage patties only 2PP. Yummy! I add grilled, (in cooking spray) onions.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 206.5/173/173

Height: 5'3"

Roasted red or orange bell peppers.
Leftover cooked greens.
Thin slices of avocado (or thicker ones and no cheese) and thinly sliced scallion
oven-roasted tomatoes (you can even make them from canned)
Pickled peppers (like sandwich hots)
fresh herbs (mint, holy basil, etc), sliced raw jalapeno and pickled carrot and daikon (kind of a banh mi)
Olive tapanade instead of the cheese, or just chunks of olives layered in.
Enchilada sauce (or other chili-based sauce) - this is good with some homemade "refried" beans - I just cook beans down with onions and chipotle in adobo, then mash them.
A smear of mayo and mustard, then lettuce and tomato makes it kind of like an egg-salad sandwich.
flourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I love spreading on a little sofrito, neufchatel or goat cheese (or a combo of them) onto my egg sandwiches. I always cook my egg whites with a lot of baby spinach. Sometimes I make a simple cheese sauce for my daughter (she loves macaroni and cheese) but I use a combo of 2% Mexican cheese blend and gorgonzola. When it's refrigerated, it sets and becomes spreadable. Yum!

A little turkey bacon or turkey sausage is a great addition too, and you can even add in some maple syrup into the sausage to get the savory/sweet, or even spread some jam onto it.

For the past week, I've been pan-searing deli-sliced chicken breast (3 slices for 50 calories) and adding it to my egg white/spinach with swiss on a high fiber English muffin.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

I add whatever I have in the fridge. Bits of bacon, sausage are always good and add lots of flavor for minimal calories. I also like to add onions, jalapenos, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach into my egg sandwiches.
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #10  

Vegetable pizza? Yes !
stan255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

a teaspoon of pesto
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #12  

I love pesto!!

I've been making egg white patties with mushroom and spinach. Piling that up on 1/2 a bagel thin with 2 thick slices of tomato, whatever meat I have in the fridge (usually lowfat turkey), fat free american cheese, a spread of fat free cream cheese, salt and pepper. VERY yummy.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

I like splashing in a little Worcestershire sauce when I'm scrambling eggs for a breakfast sandwich or burrito. It fills that meating/umami craving when I don't want the calories or hassle of bacon or sausage.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 457/see sig/200(or size18)

Height: 5ft9

The Sofrito sounds absolutely yummy.. I am going to have to do some hunting for that around our area ( one bad thing about living in the "boonies" *lol*) I will also have to try the Worcestershire trick.

I preprep what I just call veg to add to my eggs in the morning.. I usually cut up an onion, celery heart, several carrots, green and red peppers.. I saute these. It reduces in size drastically. Once it has cooled I put it in Sandwich Zippy Bags so that it is about 1/4 an inch thick when patted out flat. Then freeze it. This makes it easy to grab it from the freezer and snap off a portion when I am in a hurry in the morning. Best part 1/4c only adds about 30 calories (depending on what veggies you put in) which adds a lot of tummy filling flavor.

I also do my eggs in the microwave in a wide coffee cup.. they turn out texturally pretty nice and the coffee cup is the perfect size for my english muffin.

Why not a little A1?
qtkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 307/301.6/200

Height: 5'6

I use frozen chopped spinach in just about everything, scrambled eggs, egg patties, meatloaf, pasta sauce, etc...Sauteed with a little bit of olive oil (I use my pump your own spray bottle) and onions would add a lot of flavor, some extra fiber and as I understand it on the new PP no extra points =] (or does the mist of olive oil do something to the PP value?)

Green peppers, red peppers, garlic, etc...Sooo many ideas to change it up!
Jesseka is offline   Reply With Quote