Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Default After reaching goal, regained 15 lbs.

I was at goal for about 5 months, but it was not easy. It was actually a constant struggle. I was thrilled with my appearance but was binge eating on a regular basis and working out to exhaustion trying to avoid gaining. Over the last 3-4 weeks, the weight started creeping up and then about 2 weeks ago, I threw in the towel and just started binge eating all day long. Full force. It was like I was on a mission to regain all of my weight. I was feeling sick all day from the binge eating and I got stuck in a viscous cycle where I felt horrible so I ate horribly to try to make myself feel better at least temporarily.

Well today, I decided to face the scale and I weighed myself. I was up 15 lbs. Actually, maybe even more because I did get to 146 lbs. but I'm just not going to worry about that....I know that my body feels much better when I'm at 150 or below. The high end of my semi-comfortable weight is 155 so I really want to lose 10 lbs. so that I can fit into more clothes.

I worked out this morning (at 5:30 a.m.) for the first time in a long time and have kept very active all day long, logging my food intake and just staying on track. I'm not going to let the holidays derail me. I must get back on track.

I've been at this crossroad before and I have gained back as much as 70 lbs. I absolutely must lose and get back to where I feel best. I just wanted to post this because I'm hoping that it not only helps someone else who might be either going through it or at risk of going through it and I also hope that it will be more real and more tangible.

Thanks for letting me post this and for reading.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Good job getting back on track after noticing a gain. You know that you can lose the 10-15lbs so get to work girl!!!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #3  

It takes some courage to face the scale when you know that it's not going to be good, so good for you for doing it! You're back on track now & you can nip this in the bud.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #4  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I'm glad you posted this.

Do you remember during the weight loss phase how we told ourselves -- "After this, maintenence is going to be SOOOO easy!".

Yeah, well, I guess the joke is on us, huh? LOL I used to go to the maintenance section of this board and I just couldn't wrap my mind around why it was difficult to maintain. Well, 10 pounds heavier now than I was a few short months ago, I have a new found apprecation. I am NOT invincible. You are not invincible.

So if gaining *only* 10 pounds for me and *only* 15 for you is the way we had to learn that lesson then so be it.

You are different this time around. You did NOT gain back all the weight you lost and you stopped yourself before it got worse. You still have that motivation!! And when you get back down to the weight you were a few months ago you will remember this moment and think twice and three times before you hurl yourself off the wagon.

And yeah, it sucks to have to re-lose the weight we worked so hard to get off the first time but this time, I appreciate it so much more!

Hugs to you sweetie. You are NOT alone!!

Last edited by ShanIAm; 12-12-2011 at 07:54 PM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #5  

Nice post, ShanIam. I needed that.
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #6  
Run, run, run!

S/C/G: 204/160/???

Height: 5'4"

Oooooh I'm going through this right now. I lost 20lbs really quickly (in 6 weeks from Mid Sept-end of Oct), I'd like 30lbs previously, but that 30lbs took almost a year to lose. I've gained by 9lbs of the 20lbs in the last 6 weeks.

The good news is we've caught this early!

I know that if I get back on track I can be 10lbs lighter in about a month. I know how to do it, I know what works for me so I just need to regroup and get myself back into the great healthy eating and exercise routine that I had in the fall. I can do it. You can do it too!
PrairieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:23 AM   #7  
onedayatatimer

Thanks so much ladies for posting. It really means a lot to know that there are some kind souls out there who truly *get* what I'm going through. When I vent to friends about this, they just don't get why I am even struggling with this after reaching goal. I guess all the shows on t.v. only show people hitting goal but they rarely go into the details of the regain. Thanks so much!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #8  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

I'm also proud that you posted this!! It shows you are responsible and you take pride in yourself. That's what maintenance is, finding what works and what doesn't and I now assume you know that binging doesn't help hehe.

Hang in there, soon you will wave away to the last 10 pounds
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

Being a similar height as you, I know how easy it is to jump back up to 160 - 170. It seems to be the "moderate" weight for our height - although we definitely feel and look our best around 150 (lean, but not too lean). You wouldn't think 10lbs makes that much of a difference, but it totally does (to us, not so much to others).

The binge eating concerns me - reminds me of the men in the "Minnesota Starvation Experiment." Further intense calorie restriction may just lead to more binging in the future, undoing your efforts.

Despite the fact that many talk about weight loss as purely a matter of discipline, it is certainly not. Our physiological drives can really kick in and kick "our Disciplines' butt".

I'm not trying to discourage you from your goal at all (I also have a similar goal), but you may need a new plan. You may need to exercise and feed your body in a more effective way that still results in weight loss (slow), or you will be back in a binge cycle before you know it. For example, doing super low carb and exercising intensely is a recipe for disaster (just an example, I have no idea what your diet plan is)

This has nothing to do with weakness of the will, it is simply what happens. One should never discount the strong bodily drive aimed towards self-preservation.

In my opinion, we need to work to find a balance between what we want and what our body tends towards. I'm also currently having trouble with this idea, but it seems to be the only way.

Last edited by Unna; 12-13-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

Good for you for catching it so quickly and halting the progress of those pounds coming back! Glad to hear you are back on track.. keep up the good work!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 161/157/135

Height: 5'5.5"

Yup, I am there too at the moment. I finally worked up the courage to step on the scale for the first time in a year (feeling fear about getting on the scale should have been my first clue, eh?) and I've discovered that I'm up 20 pounds from my absolute lowest two years ago. I'm frustrated at losing all that hard work, but I'm happy that I am getting realistic about this before it completely spirals out of control.

Accepting where you are is the first step!
Dianeofnka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #12  
onedayatatimer

Well I'm certainly not alone....this is all much appreciated. I am a calorie counter. My desire to stop binging is very strong but I have not been able to stop overall. I can hold off for a while, but then it returns and I sometimes don't know if I"ll ever be able to stop. I have tried lots of different methods and lots of different diets but at the end of the day, my brain just doesn't have a normal relationship with food. I SO wish that I could because it would make things a whole bunch easier. When I reached goal, I knew I had my work cut out for me and I knew I had to continue what I had done to lose weight but I tried to eat like a normal person (still counting calories, but adding back a bit)....but the nut job in me just couldn't handle it. I have an all or nothing mentality and can't comfortably exist in comfort, if that makes any sense at all.

It is quite amazing to me how drastically my body seems to have changed with this extra poundage. It really makes a huge difference! I would say that I now look fairly average, whereas at 149 I appeared to be of a very healthy weight. It's just kind of amazing how quickly a body can change and of course that goes the other way too....I can make positive changes and feel better soon....this is just not an ideal time to be going through this with the holidays, but I"m pretty sure it's a common time to have this issue. I wish you all the best in your journey toward goal and maintenance of goal.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #13  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

Wishing you strength as you work through the issues that are leading you to eat in a way that you're unhappy with. Have you read the Beck books? They were a tremendous help to me, and it really helped me focus on the "when's", "how's", and "why's" of eating.

One of my favorite quotes, that I've often repeated to myself over the course of my weight loss journey, is this:

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. ~ Confucius

You're back on track, and you can and will get back to where you were before. (another good quote is in my signature- If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution- very helpful for me as one who battled the demons of binge/emotional eating)
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote