Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/121/112

Height: 5"2

Unhappy So scared of regaining

Hey all,

I am really having a hard time at the moment sticking to a diet... no idea why and I'm so scared that I will regain all the weight I've lost. It would be such a waste of so much hard work!! With xmas coming up I keep telling myself that I will get back on track after it but inside I'm so worried that I wont be able to!!

Please help!! How can I get my motivation back???
prillabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #2  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I will keep track what I eat. Everything! I might gain a few pounds over the holidays but if I track it will be easier to keep the eating in check.
I also signed up for a fitness class in January which will be very demanding. So I have to keep working out over the holidays to make sure I am at least somewhat prepared for that.
And that will burn lots of calories to counter the cookies :-)

Last edited by josey; 12-12-2011 at 04:15 PM.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #3  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

I know I will eat more, and definitely drink more the next few weeks, so I'll be exercising more, at a higher intensity to combat the food & drink. I want to be able to enjoy myself but I know there is a price so I'm working on off-setting it - it's not easy though! Every morning I wake up and wonder if I did something that will make my clothes tighter...
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I have maintained for 8 years. I know that if I do not keep an eye on portions/calories, I *WILL* regain. That's the only thing that goes through my mind, each day, of these 8 years. There is really no alternative as most long-term maintainers will say. Instead of thinking you can't get "back" on track, it's best to stay on track. Use portion sizing (ie grains the size of a tennis ball, meat the size of a palm). I understand particularly in the US that Christmas is associated with food binging (not so much where I am) but that mentality, for someone who has had weight issues, is really something that needs to be broken.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #5  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

My plan is to stay on track most of this month and treat it like any other month. I don't see this month different then any other month and if I give myself permission to over eat just because its "December" then when January comes around I may use the same excuse. December is a busy month but I don't have family gatherings every single night, so why should I be over eating every night?

There are 3 days I have given myself permission to have a little fun but in moderation, Christmas eve (family gathering), Christmas day and New years eve (boyfriends birthday). I will enjoy the truly important dates but all the other days in December are just like any other day of any other month
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #6  

I'm allowing myself some special treats, but they will be in moderation & I will work them into my calories (I'm on maintenance). I am also cycling my calories so that I will have some "room" during my high days.

Rather than planning to gain, why don't you figure out what your maintenance calories would be for your goal weight and eat at that level for the rest of the month? That way, you won't gain, but you'll have more calories for when you need them.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #7  
Happy Member

I think that those of us who have reached our goal are afraid that we will regain the weight we lost. And statistics tell us that most individuals who have lost a sizable amount of weight do regain it.

I've maintained my weight loss for several years now. My most useful tool to maintain my weight loss is my scale. I weigh myself every morning!!! I don't miss a day. Therefore I can see for myself if and when the lbs. start to creep back onto me, and I can do something about it immediately.

Yes, I plan to enjoy Christmas. There will be goodies that I will sample that are not on my maintenance plan. But I will be a bit cautious so that I will find myself in 2012 without a lot of unwanted weight to get rid of.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #8  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoJo2 View Post
My most useful tool to maintain my weight loss is my scale. I weigh myself every morning!!! I don't miss a day. Therefore I can see for myself if and when the lbs. start to creep back onto me, and I can do something about it immediately.
Agree 100%! The day I stopped weighing myself daily is the day I buried my head in the sand. Now I am here in the process of re-losing those same 10 pounds I worked so hard to get off.

I also agree with the others when they say to allow yourself "breathing room" from your diet but make up for it in other ways. Increase your workouts, watch what you eat the days leading up to a big eating day and get back on track the very next day. Last week we had an office party so I zig zagged my calories days before and days after the party. I did not lose that week but I didn't gain either so to me -- SUCCESS!

Don't worry, you got this! You are recognizing your fear now so you are more likely to keep them in check later.

Last edited by ShanIAm; 12-12-2011 at 08:07 PM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote