Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #1  

Default Loose 1 pound daily

I was wondering if someone can give me some advice.

I am 327 pounds and i am suppose to be eating 3400 calories to maintain weight. The last week if I am lucky I eat 400-500 due to my anxiety acting up.
I am loosing 1 pound a day would that be right cause 3200 calories is 1 pounds I am only eating 400-500 I know it aint healthy but nothing i can do cause my anxiety.

Would my body loose that much from being so big not eating really anything. Today I ate 2 hotdogs no buns one handful fries cooked in oven and well thats it. and just weight myself and down 1 pound. Now I am not trying to just wondering if any1 knows about maintenance weight and calories.

Thanks
canadacatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #2  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

I am on a program which my calorie intake is about 800-900 cals a day. I am losing an average of 2.7lbs a week. If you don't enough your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to your fat not letting you lose anything. The program I am on is Ideal Protein, so I eat protein and 4cups of veggies and a LOT of water!!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Not recommended. Why don't you talk to a nutritionist or your doctor?
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #4  

I talked to him and he is checking my thyroid. Cause if it is overactive you do not eat and lose weight.
Thanks
Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #5  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Well with a little activity, the numbers add up so sounds about right to me. What doesn't sound right is the LOW number of calories you're taking in. Very low calorie diets can be dangerous and normally the ones that are doctor monitored are balanced to meet your protein needs so you don't lose muscle. Losing muscle, specifically things like heart muscle is a concern. Going too low on the carbs can affect serotonin levels. I feel for you on the anxiety but yo-yoing is not going to help it, only make it worse. Have one of these . I hope you can get to feeling better so you can lose weight in a healthier way.

Last edited by 4star; 12-09-2011 at 08:43 PM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #6  

I hope so too. When I do not eat and loose a pound a day it makes my anxiety worse then next day i eat less cause of it.

I made 3 meals for tomorrow all 600 calories or so see if it is from me not eating or maybe it is my thyroid.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #7  
On a Mission

I bet you do feel yucky. Taking in that little calories runs down your blood sugars too and that will make you feel anxious and crappy in itself. It also makes you prone to overeat when you do start taking in food b/c it messes with your insulin response. There are many reasons to take in enough food but not too much for your health, it's way beyond just dieting to lose weight.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #8  

I have been dieting for 5 months and now that i lost 45 pounds got anxiety and maybe thyroid problems and stopped eating well almost and the weight is falling off averaging 1 pound a day. Again today if I was lucky maybe 300 calories. 2 hot dogs handful of fries cooked in the oven 1 bite of chicken. I think maybe less then 300.

I got 1800 calories of food cooked for tomorrow if I eat them all hopefully I do not loose one pound. And hopefully when I start eating I do not over due it.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #9  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 206.5/173/173

Height: 5'3"

It sounds like you're letting how little you're eating be one more thing to be anxious about.

Don't weigh yourself in the morning. Heck, don't weigh yourself for a week. Don't count your calories. Get your anxiety back under control, then think about what you're eating.

And I'd suggest that you come up with a way to monitor/improve what you eat without counting calories, which seems to contribute to your anxiety. Maybe count "servings" of fruit/veg/protein/etc, or try "eat one plateful" - experiment a little and see what makes you feel stressed or anxious, and what doesn't.
flourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #10  

That is great advice. Thanks
Old 12-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

I completely agree with flourless.

I also have the unfortunate problem of not eating when I have a ton of stress or anxiety. The problem is, sometimes the stress or anxiety can last a long time. Also, the "not wanting to eat" contributes to insomnia - which then creates more stress.

So, your anxiety which started because of another reason will continue to multiple when you stop eating, and then stop sleeping. It is a vicious circle.

Last time I went through an episode such as the one you are describing, I had to go to a psychiatrist. First, he gave me sleeping pills to regulate my sleep again. That made me feel instantly better. Then we decided how I should handle the situation giving me stress (what changes I should make).

I made the changes we talked about and started to eventually regain my appetite.

I know a lot of people think "WOW! I wish I would lose my appetite when I am stressed!" But, it is simply not that easy and only leads to things spiraling more out of control.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Physically, eating that little will make the anxiety much worse and completely mess up your sleep. Psychologically, it messes with your head, even if the appetite loss is purely physical in origin. I'm not blaming you for a second here, but it does help to know how this works.

Get to a good doctor immediately, and if it's not one who already knows you, you will probably have to bring proof that you are eating that little and losing weight that fast, in case they assume that someone that overweight can't be having this sort of problem. It may be a good idea to bring a friend with you for support, both to help you through this (no one enjoys anything with this level of anxiety, let alone something as stressful as a medical visit) and to back you up when you explain that you're not eating.

Meanwhile, eat whatever you can. Protein shakes can be good for this sort of thing, and personally I find that fresh, sweet foods such as cherries, satsumas, or various veg you can dip in houmous (carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, sugar snaps which I think are the thicker variety of snow pea in American) work the best when I sometimes lose my appetite.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

First of all I highly second the idea of seeing a medical professional asap.

Second, one thing you don't have to worry about is your fat loss stalling due to starvation mode. The true meaning of starvation mode is when your body starts to shut down non essential funcions and catabolizes muscle to meet your bodies energy requirements. Anyone who thinks weight and fat loss will stall due to ingesting too few calories is quite mistaken.

There are two things that you do need to be concerned about. First is getting the essential vitamins and minerals into your diet. Second is getting enough protein because without adequate protein you're going to lose muscle quickly when calories are so low.

Thus - the best suggestion you've gotten is to drink protein shakes. If your anxienty is making it difficult to eat you can drink your calories. Just about every place sells protein powder these days. So go buy some and take a multi vitamin along with your protein shakes until you can get this medcial problem sorted out.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #14  

The medical is sorted I have chronic anxiety but will not take pills which I think will soon have to change. Loosing this much weight can not be good for my body. I do not like eating for some reason now although today I had 3 smaller meals maybe 1200 calories.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #15  
On a Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadacatman View Post
The medical is sorted I have chronic anxiety but will not take pills which I think will soon have to change. Loosing this much weight can not be good for my body. I do not like eating for some reason now although today I had 3 smaller meals maybe 1200 calories.

Thanks
No one can really give you medical advice except a doc but you've got to be willing to take their advice. I just checked this thread again after lastnight's posts and many people who've been there have given you some good advice on getting enough to eat and what they did to help themselves in similar situations, please consider what they've posted.