Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 04:05 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Thumbs down Show some skin!

Just wondering with all the barrage of "anti-aging" products on the market and the increased need for sunscreen these days what are you using to take care of your skin, what are your cleansing/pampering routines and what sunscreen products do you currently use?
Old 07-15-2003, 05:34 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Clinque's 3 step:
Soap
Blue Stuff
and Dramatically Different Lotion.

I have super dry skin and I've switched to a million different products so I wouldn't have to pay Clinque prices but I've come back to this each time because it works for me.

I used to never leave the house without SPF 30 on but I can't find the lotion I was using since it was free of all kinds of scents and colors. Now, if I know I'm going to be in the sun (like on the weekends), I wear Bullfrog's Spray-on SPF 45. I've been super pale all my life and I don't plan on changing that.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:12 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

I find that if you just wash your face once a month it doesn't age quite as quickly.

I'm joking!
Old 07-15-2003, 06:14 PM   #4  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

YUP!! The grease build-up protects your skin from the elements!!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 07:18 PM   #5  
Hot Stuff

I've been on a "back to basics" skin care kick for the last year. I got tired of spending mucho money on entire product lines and figured that I know a lot of older women who have fabulous skin and say they never used anything fancy. I'm using liquid Neutrogena to wash, and believe it or not, unscented Vaseline moisturizer for dry, sensitive skin - on my face! Yes, the big bottle of body lotion with the pump....and my skin has never looked better! Usually on Saturdays I'll use a scrub or a mask (Clean and Clear scrub with microbeads or a cucumber peel off mask.)

Very important if you are going to use a scrub not to use one with crushed almonds or something of that sort. It damages your skin.....would you crush an almond and rub the jagged edges into your face? Then why do they put it into a cream and expect us to do it?
Old 07-15-2003, 08:35 PM   #6  

I make my own facial scrub. It's made purely with dried beans. Black, lima, and ummm... two others... I forget which ones. I grind them up really finely and then sieve them and store them in an airtight jar. Just mix a little bit with some water and clean. It smells VERY earthy. And my skin is so soft afterwards. The scrub has lots of protein in it.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:04 AM   #7  
a brave new me...

Talking Ummmm....

Ellis, if your diet is low in fiber you could always scrape the mask off and eat it when you are finished.

I hate the whole skin care regime... I am always constantly battling with my face. Currently I am using some seaweed products from the Body Shop which don't seem to be causing my face to break out/peel/blotch/exude oil/dry out... take your pick.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:13 AM   #8  
a brave new me...

Anyone ever read anything by Paula Begoun? She writes "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me". Check out her website at http://www.cosmeticscop.com ... lots of good skincare tips.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:51 AM   #9  

Yeah Wildfire. And those ones with the ground up apricot kernels do the same thing!

Thanks for the link Sojo!
Old 07-16-2003, 02:38 PM   #10  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I love apricot scrub!

My favorite exfoliator is oatmeal and corn meal, add a little water and viola! Super soft skin.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:44 PM   #11  

Yeah - I used to love that St. Ives apricot facial scrub until my friend the fabulous cosmetician and skin care expert told me that -I had a whole tube of it too! But then he told me that I could use it up by using it on my feet and elbows to get rid of the rough spots
Old 07-17-2003, 06:51 AM   #12  
Searching

Exclamation Okay here I go

Miss Chris was the Queen of Sunscreen. Then she read an article about how the RX of the sun with the chemicals in the creams can have some toxic by-products. This brought back to mind the molecular modeling experiment she did in college. I was to molecular model a compound or group of compunds that would cover the full spectrum of the sun and that were available on the laboratory shelf. Well I started my research with the sunscreen labels. So I start modeling and cross checking, the only things I could find that would block the full spectrum were carcinogenic to humans. So I am back with my big hats, long sleeves, and maintaining my sun exposure to a minimum (3-5 minutes of full exposure time a day for Vitamin D production) Anyone bored yet?

My facial care program includes washing with Neutrogena, a mild toner, and fragrance free Vitamin E lotion. Also getting my make-up off every day. And I still break out like a 12 yr old all summer.

Miss Chris
Old 07-17-2003, 09:13 AM   #13  

Chris, I remember several years ago a study was done on sunscreens in Australia. They discovered that anything over 15 SPF was actually CAUSING cancer.
I try to stay covered up, too. I usually just wear sunscreen on my nose... got a spot there, and I'm anxious for it NOT to turn into skin cancer.

Speaking of which... Ruth? Are you reading this? How is sweet Harry?

We went to LUSH last night. It's so expensive there, but I had to pick up a little something. (I don't get out much) I bought a something or other... for the bath. It smells divine. And a little sparkly gold bath thing for DD. Fifteen bucks. Just so each of us can have ONE bath.
I haven't made bath products in a while... I think that's what everyone is getting for Christmas this year. I'll have to dig out my soup equipment. I REFUSE to pay 12 bucks for a little chunk of soap!!
Do you have LUSH in the States? It's a British company.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:31 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

LUSH? I have a bunch of stuff in a bathroom dresser drawer that I can't figure out. I should take a picture and post it for ID by you trendy chicks.

Ellis, Harry is being very careful in the sun. So far no more suspicious spots on his marble head. It was squamous cell carcinoma, by the way - a **** of a lot better than melanoma!

I am wearing a hat and long sleeved shirt ALL the time in the garden these days.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:23 PM   #15  
Searching

No Lush in Omaha. Do they have a website?

We should get also get a pic of your hat Ruth does it coordinate with your bra?

Miss Chris ;-)
Closed Thread