Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 179/168/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Workout Buddies - do you have one, how did you find her?

Hello,

I've been dabbling in lifting and would like to get more serious. I do best when I have a buddy, at least when starting out on an activity, and I really do need someone to help me with form. I'd like to find a woman to split the cost of some personal training sessions and to meet me regularly at a local lifting gym for workouts.

I've asked my kettlebell trainer (who's a strongman) if he knows any women who might be interested and I've thought about posting on Craigslist (but am a bit uncomfortable with that idea). Does anyone have any other ideas?

Also, do any of you have such a buddy? If so, how did you find each other and how did is it working out?

BTW, I'm in Baltimore, if anyone reading this is local and in a similar frame of mind.
yoyomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #2  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

I know this is not what you're looking for, but I had to give a shout out to my workout buddy. My sister goes with me, and she's a great motivator!
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #3  

I always wished I had a sister. Now I know why. It's nice that you two work out together!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #4  

Hey, if you are still looking for a buddy, check out WannaBuddy.com. The site uses your zip code to connect you with people near you with similar interests. You should be able to find a lifting buddy there.

Good luck!
jhkoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #5  

Great idea! I signed up. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Have you considered semi-private training. This will give you a few workout buddies and reduced cost personal training. Unlike, typical group classes, semi-private training still provides you with individualized programs written just for you and are usually limited to 4-5 trainees per coach, so you still get a lot of individual attention at a reasonable cost.

Call around to see who in your area have these options and check them out.

I'm not from your area, but I do know of Optimum Perfmance Training Institue which I believe is just outside of Baltimore. I know of them because I subscribe to one of their coaches, Neghar Fonooni's blog and her youtube videos.

Here is a link of a video that shows some of the women training at their facility. If it is the type of atmosphere you are looking for, perhaps it is an option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8wD8IMVrF4

Last edited by Depalma; 12-08-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #7  

Exactly my hope. My goal is to find a few people to share semi-private training every 2 weeks and then meet me in between to work out 3x a week at a gym. I got 3 friends to agree - yay! And then 2 backed out - boo!

But at least one is still in. The semi-private training rates start with a 3-person group, so I still need one more.

Actually, I have another post related to this I'm going to make shortly.

Thanks!