Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #1  

Default No more sugar?

I just want to share this with anyone that might be struggling with binging. I've spent my life with binging and mood swings. Recently, I tried for the first time cutting out sugar. It seems a little extreme at first. But I was careful to cut out sugar even from hidden sources, not just obvious ones.

And for the first time I haven't had the urge to over eat. My appetite and moods feel stable. I was in such a cycle of binging that I was desperate enough to try anything, including over hauling my whole diet to eliminate sugar. And so far it worked. I did do some reading on the subject of sugar and its effects on the body and brain before I stopped eating it. And there is quite a bit of evidence supporting the negative effects of sugar.

I am not trying to preach to anyone. Just sharing a something that seems to be working for me, when I felt like nothing would help. Incase anyone reading this is desperate enough to try it.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 11-26-2011 at 08:57 AM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #2  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

When I officially started my journey in January I completely stopped eating carbs and sugar. I detoxed from those two practically entirely. It was not very sustainable for me for very long (about 3 weeks) but I added carbs, but not sugar, back into my diet slowly. I still kept it very low carb tho --- around 100-150g a day. I FELT FANTASTIC! I was always a moody person too but after I eliminated those two things my mood improved. I am sure it was a combination of chemical and mental. My body chemistry stabilized and I finally had control over my cravings for the first time in forever.

The detox was awful but I recommend this practice to anyone who asks me how I finally was able to regain control and lose weight.

A few months ago I went off the wagon and ate way too many carbs. I'm finally back to following my advice and this morning I woke up feeling great again!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I have trouble if I eat any carbs at all. I went completely carb free (other than about 1.25 g per day from the cheese on my burger) a while back and I could not believe how good I felt! My dh was dead set against it (he's was all about that low fat thang), but after a couple of weeks he decided he was wrong because I seemed twenty years younger all of the sudden. Sadly, I haven't had a lot of luck adding stuff back and it is d*mn near impossible to stay zero carb for the long haul. I did do it for like four months, though. And now I'm back on again. It took me 40 years to figure out that I felt great and lost weight eating this way, and I'm hoping that it doesn't take me 40 years to figure out how I can add stuff back in and what stuff to add back in without knocking over my house of cards.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/216/160

Height: 5'8"

I am really curious about this because I've heard a lot of people (mostly on here) talk about how good low carb/sugar free/ no carb makes them feel. I gotta be honest. I have been vegan, vegetarian, low carb, low calorie, low fat at different times in the past many years, and I have never really felt a difference in energy level or health that I would really attribute to food. Yes, when I was watching calories I didn't feel sluggish from over eating, and when I lose weight I do feel more energetic, but it seems like I haven't really noticed much of a difference in how I feel because of WHAT I eat, more like HOW MUCH I eat. I can't really imagine a no- carb diet- it sounds like it would be really hard to get enough fiber! ANd when you say you're sugar-free, do you mean refined sugar, or do you mean ALL sugar- like you don't eat fruit? I'd love to see an example of what you all eat daily. I'm always up for trying something new!
DezziePS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #5  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

For me personally, I've learned that the less sugar I consume, the better I feel and the less I am inclined to overeat. "Sugar begets sugar."

I do eat fruit & don't worry about natural sugars in any foods. But specifically processed foods, be it candies/cakes/cookies or cereals or whatever - those foods make me want more-more-more and in my opinion it DOES LEAD to binge behavior & simple plain'ol over-eating. If I eat a candy bar, I want more candy. If I have a slice of cake with sugary frosting, I want more frosting.

If I stick mostly to fruits & veggies for my sugar needs, I eat less, I weigh less, I feel less gross. For me, sugar is just a drug. I have to really watch the intake, or suffer the consequences of binge-eating, weight gain, & general blah-ness.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezziePS View Post
I can't really imagine a no- carb diet- it sounds like it would be really hard to get enough fiber! ANd when you say you're sugar-free, do you mean refined sugar, or do you mean ALL sugar- like you don't eat fruit? I'd love to see an example of what you all eat daily. I'm always up for trying something new!
I don't get any fiber, AT ALL. And that's fine with me. I have no problem pooping. My digestion is actually so much healthier seeming. When I was eating fiber all the time (and by that I mean my whole life up until this year), I thought it was normal and healthy to fart all the time. When I cut the carbs and fiber and everything else pretty much out of my diet, I would go for weeks at a time without farting. And I wasn't missing it. Also never had heartburn. There are actually a lot of people who believe that fiber is not necessary and can even be damaging (ie, all it does is scrape up your insides all the time leaving you inflamed and constantly in a state of trying to heal but being re-assaulted). You can see some views here, if you're interested (I'm guessing this there are arguments from both sides on this thread).

When I'm doing zero carb I consume only meat, heavy whipping cream (in my coffee and tea), and very limited cheese. Nothing else.

I wonder if you went low enough on your carbs to get into ketosis. I think a lot of the mood/energy benefits come from running on ketones. Some people have to get VERY low to experience it, like 10ish grams a day. Most people probably don't need to go anywhere near that low, though.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #7  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Over the years, I've tried cutting out sugar numerous times. But I find, that once I do, I get lightheaded and can't function. I recently tested this a few weeks ago and a week passed before I felt like I was about to pass out all the time. I still ate the same amount of calories, and had a well balanced diet, with the exception of sugar. Your lucky your body reacts the way it doee. Seems to be essencial for my body and I still lose weight and feel good, so I continue to eat sugar.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #8  

I have to say no sugar and no/low carbs are two VERY different things.
I eat plenty of carbs. I eat Quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, and I make my own whole wheat and rye bread, so there's no added sugar. BeachPatrol said it perfectly that the less sugar, the better.

For me, if I eat Cheerios or whole wheat store bought bread, I don't really notice much of an issue. Both are not sugar free, but a relatively low. Some people may be effected by the low amount. Others may not have problem with sugar at all. For me, it triggers binges, mood swings and such varying, unpredictable energy levels, that I'm pretty miserable.

I personally do not subscribe to no carbs. Low carb can be beneficial for some, in my opinion. For me, I'm a runner, and I need my fuel. I read labels religiously. Some of the foods I used to eat often, like granola bars, are loaded with sugar. I looked for low sugar ones, but just decided it wasn't worth it and stopped eating them.
I haven't added fruit back in yet, but I don't plan on avoiding it forever. I think its about finding what works for my body. I think of it like people that are lactose intolerant. Some can handle a tiny amount of milk for example, but not too much, or not cheese or ice cream. But some people that are lactose intolerant can not have any dairy at all, without getting uncomfortable side effects. And different people will have varying severity of symptoms. I think its similar with sugar.

Also, just like some people can drink and never become alcoholics, while others form an addiction to it, I think its the same with sugar. I didn't just think this up on my own. There are actually is info available out there on the addictive properties of sugar. But that doesn't mean no one should each sugar. But it seems, unfortunately, I am greatly effected by something like cake or cookies.

A few weeks ago, I half @$$ "gave up" sugar. I was eating whole foods, no sugar, then after about a week my husband and I went out to dinner. I order bananas foster for dessert. I had never had it. Its bananas with this liquid brown sugar and rum topping. I figured that I'd earned it. And ate it. FOr the two days following I wanted nothing but candy. And there was plenty haloween candy for me to eat. I got really depressed and didn't even want to get out of bed. I could not believe what I was living. I weaned myself off the sugar by eating pretty much all carbs for a few days, slowly switching from very sugary carbs like granola bars to less sugary carbs. My mood improved and I began wanting to eat normal foods again. Since then I have been terrified to eat anything really sugary, like candy or desserts. I have had one or two yogurts with fruit, and a granola bar, and I did notice my cravings starting but nothing as extreme as after the bananas foster.

I've been thinking of things like wine or cookies, things I don't want to cut out of my life forever. I guess when my want for something out weighs my fear of the consequences, I'll eat it.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

I've been trying to cut out sugar also, I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to it, but I've been doing quite well for the past 2 days. Although I am being realistic and there is no way I can cut down on eating fruit (I LOVE fruit). I've been trying to cut down on jams and using ketchup and sauces like that and just looking at what contains sugar in it. Hopefully it gets easier with time.
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #10  

DezziePS - I used to be vegetarian and vegan too. Yeah I didn't really notice much difference either. This no sugar thing was started when a coworker of my husbands did a seminar on sugar and the effects. He is a doctor. It prompted me to do some more reading, and look up some studies, and I figured what the ****? Why not? I've tried everything under the sun, and all the diets, all the healthy eating, calorie counting, what have you, always fell victim to the eventual binge. Cravings getting the worst around TOM.
The mood swings, I honestly thought were due to my menstrual cycle, stress, and whatever else I could think of. But I started noticing they followed a pattern daily AND that they were relieved by a sugary snack.

I don't eat a wide variety of food. I never have. I'm a creature of habit, I guess. Also I'd always faired better if I eat like every 2 hours. I feel like I'm always eating small meals. I get a little hypoglycemic and this seems to keep my blood sugar stable, and that helps my mood. I'm one of those people that gets so irratable if I'm hungry!
Breakfast, lately has been 2 pience of toast with 1 tsp butter from Olive oil on each piece, glass of water, black coffee.
Lunch was a can of soup, like progresso for a while. Which has sugar in it, but I don't seem to be bothered by it, so I don't mind. A few days ago we bought a panini maker which rocks. So for lunch I'll have a panini with 1 slice cheese and a pile of roasted veggies, eggplant, asparagus, mushrooms, squash, red peppers.

After lunch I feel like I'm eating all after noon. My main snacks are cheerios, plain fat free greek yogurt (I add Truvia to it so it tastes sweet!) cheese sticks, whole wheat crackers (I buy one that only have like 3 ingredients, no sugar) if I have home made bread, some of that with butter, eggs....I'll sometimes have humus with raw broccoli, or cottage cheese.

For dinner it varies. Tonight I had quinoa, with black beans and avocado. I imagine the beans are sugary the way a sweet potato is. I was lazy and didnt look up if beans in their natural form are sugary. But I don't feel awful, so I'm not worried.
Some times I have whole wheat pasta with some sauteed veggies (I use olive oil). And I'll top with ricotta cheese or some other cheese.
If I'm feeling lazy, I'll just have eggs and toast for dinner.
Occasionally I'll have a turkey or ham sandwich, but rarely. I still eat mostly meatless, but I don't consider myself a vegetarian because when I do want some meat, I'll eat it.
If I get to the store before dinner, I'll pick up some fresh fish.
My problem has always been at night, the urge to binge on junk. I've never been one to eat bacon and pancakes for breakfast or a big greasy hamburger for dinner with fries (with the exeption of the most unhealthy parents ever that only offered me the most fattening, unhealthy foods available. ) But as an adult, I've always eaten healthy...until I binge. Even then, I could binge on raisins, fruit, pretzels, yogurt. Enough said.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 11-26-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I have to say no sugar and no/low carbs are two VERY different things.
I eat plenty of carbs. I eat Quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, and I make my own whole wheat and rye bread, so there's no added sugar. BeachPatrol said it perfectly that the less sugar, the better.
I'm sorry! I wasn't trying to change the subject of your thread or hijack it or anything. What I should have said was "I gave up all sugar, but my body didn't really respond until I gave up all the other carbs and then I experienced the same awesome state you're talking about." I do think "sugar" and "carbs" are different things, though all digestible carbs are turned into sugar by your body and once they are, they have the same effects on your body that eating sugar does. For me, the effect of a bowl of quinoa and a big piece of chocolate cake is exactly the same. For others, that may not be true at all.

Last edited by rubidoux; 11-26-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #12  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I'd like to note that I have not "given up" sugar - I have CUT DOWN (way down!) on sugar - specifically processed foods with sugar - as I have learned from previous experience that anytime I completely give up something I love, eventually I will return to it with a vengeance. THAT is how my binge-eating returns & the weight returns & I get all fat & miserable again.

For instance, I really love chocolate. I mean REALLY love it. I have never really liked dark chocolate, but since cutting way down on sugar, I have a new appreciation for dark chocolate, and I find a couple small pieces completely satisfies my chocolate urge.

Even with milk chocolate, I can now SAFELY buy a Hershey bar, or Mr. Goodbar, etc. and take 3 or 4 or more days to eat it...a couple small bites at a time... whereas before, I'd gobble it down in a matter of SECONDS and then of course want more-more-more. This is a HUGE STEP for me.

Simply, the less "sugary laden foods" I consume, the less I want.

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 11-27-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I'm glad you posted this.

I never had a problem with sugary things until I started calorie counting. I can now fit the sugary calories into my budget.

EEK. But, that simply leads to unnecessary hunger pangs - it does have an addictive effect. Anyway, just because I can justify the calories b/c they are within my limit doesn't mean I should be eating so much sugar. It is simply not healthy and can also badly effect moods and hunger.

I'm also going to go sugar free (outside of eating some fruit).
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 254/246/170

Height: 5'2"

I am a total sugar addict !!!
and I'm trying to kick it for what seems like the millionth time.
I welcome any advice, thoughts or suggestions,
Thank you.
SoniaCarrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #15  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

I cut out sugar and high carb foods (like white flour etc) and my binging has slowed quite a bit....I find now when I do binge I'm making healthy choices about what I'm eating even if I am overeating. Binging is a process for me, it's getting fewer in between sessions and what I'm consuming plus the amount are much smaller and better. I still want to kick it though. However if I do eat a cookie or something while I'm in a binge it's hard to break again. Sugar is definitely addictive for me. I have to watch it when I catch myself slipping like this morning putting a teaspoon of sugar in my tea. I know for me just the taste of it will hook me again and a teaspoon can very easily for me turn into 3 then 4 etc. That's how I use to drink my tea! So yeah, sugar is a huge thing for me. I do treat myself with something sweet after meals, like a kashi granola bar etc but with pastries, cakes, cookies etc..I really have to catch myself and eliminate it all together unless special events I'll do it in moderation (like my kids birthday parties last week, I had a sliver of cake)

I know in myself I can't entirely give it up, but I think if I'm on plan with my eating 90% of the time I can then have the things I like in moderation. I want to live and that includes foods I like, but I just won't be eating it as a staple diet now! LOL

The white carbs effect my sugar levels too and make me crave the sweet things. So I have to also stay away from white flour bread/cakes, pastries, pasta (when I do eat pasta it's whole grain) cause my cravings kick in again with white pasta.

Last edited by InsideMe; 11-27-2011 at 04:26 PM.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote