Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 10:23 AM   #1  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Question How many treat themselves with food?

And how far do you go? I treat myself once a week and still lose. However I feel that I go overboard when I do it. I stuffed myself last night and it scares me. I don't want to do that but it seems when it comes to treat night I go way to far. It does not affect my weight loss but I don't like eating that much. I want to try and get out of the habit of eating so much in one setting. So that I don't fall back into doing it every day.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:59 AM   #2  

Me, Me!!!

I have to treat myself sometimes, it's the only way I stay on program and don't feel deprived. I can also go overboard...the time I go most overboard is when I bake. I have no self control with any chocolate baked goods...or any chocolate, for that matter.

I do buy myself one chocolate chip cookie several times a week at lunch at work. Then I have built in portion control.

Shery
Old 07-16-2003, 11:06 AM   #3  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I try to have a day ~ about once every two weeks, where I kind of eat what I want. Trying to do this, so that I don't feel deprived, and I think it kind of helps me to stay on track, having that to look forward to. But, like you, I am having a hard time getting a handle on treating myself with out going overboard.

Welcome ~ glad you have joined us. (I was born and grew up in Ohio ~ my parents, sister and brother are still there.)

Gayle
Old 07-16-2003, 11:11 AM   #4  
Born Loser

Mine usally consist of pizza. However last night I had to stop at the store and pickup a few things. So my pizza night turned into a big hunk of cheese, pizza and icecream bar night. Way to much. I'll work on it though and I will still lose this week. Right back at it that's the key.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:31 AM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I have a small treat a few times a week. Sometimes my treat turns into a binge, it's then I have to figure out why I'm eating & what I could do instead of binging.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:47 AM   #6  
Born Loser

See that's what I'm talking about that is what I did last night. All though it is always contained within one night it still turns into a one night binge. That is what I want to get away from. I want it to be a treat not a mini binge.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:01 PM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Well, I have to employ my friends sometimes. I have a great coworker here who is 5'4" & weights 95# soaking wet. She is the keeper of the Hershey's Kisses. If they were not in her desk drawer, they would be in mine. If they were in mine, they would not live very long. It's completely ridiculous as I'm 3 times her size & could totaly kick her a$$ if I wanted the chocolate bad enough, but she is kind enough to only dole out 2 pieces at a time. At home is another story entirely. I don't usually buy "bad" things, b/c I know it's a recipe for disaster.

My worst times are when I grocery shop while hungry:

"OHHHH! They have Chubby Hubby! I can't find it anywhere else! I HAVE to buy it!"

"Oooooh, they have mini quiches, I've been good all week, I DESERVE some quiches."

It's not til later that I realize no one DESERVES quiches, but someone DOES deserve a kick in the pants. And that the reason I don't buy Chubby Hubby anymore is b/c I can't eat just one serving. I'm used to having the whole pint to myself. Therefore, it can't be in the house til I can control myself around it.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:06 PM   #8  
Losin It For GOOD!

I think a treat now and then is fine, but not if its triggering a binge. If it is, maybe you should lay off the treats, or make a plan ahead of time for exactly what you are going to eat, then only allow yourself to eat that Just my humble advice.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:21 PM   #9  

SAPF - You made me laugh!

Quote:
It's not til later that I realize no one DESERVES quiches, but someone DOES deserve a kick in the pants.
I had never thought about it that way! I guess that is why we treat ourselves...it feels earned, doesn't it?

Howie (that's my DB name too!), I certainly have to fight to keep my "treats" in check. Like some of the others have already indicated, it IS important to treat yourself (in a planned, controlled way) so that you don't feel deprived. I truly believe that you have to pick an eating and living style that you can maintain, even after you have lost the weight. That might not be true for everybody, everyone has their own approach to loosing weight, but I want to re-learn my eating habits and replace them with healthy ones.

You must be doing alright with including the treat night in your eating plan, because you have been VERY successful! Congrats! I believe that having "slip ups" or "binges", or moments of eating that don't go according to plan are part of the learning to eat healthy process. I have had MANY times where I have gone off track - but I believe that I learn from all of them. I do what you are doing with this post and think about why I didn't follow my plan and if my weight loss technique was a good one.

Guess that this is the tricky part about loosing weight...finding the balance between a "treat" and a "binge". I know that I still fight for this balance! V. frustrating.

I once saw an interesting post about what people use to treat themselves. I'll see if I can find it and put up the link.

Kris
261-188-155
Old 07-16-2003, 12:37 PM   #10  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I know what you mean H-man. For me, it's a feeling of "I may never get this again, so I have to eat it all." and sometimes it's self-talk "I already blew it by eating (fill in the blank) so I may as well go ahead and eat everything else I've been missing for the past few days. I try to keep binge foods out of the house. When I want them, I go to a public place and eat them in front of other people. Binges are "secret" things, and I feel like if I eat a binge food in public, and stop at one portion, then I'm just giving myself a treat, not binging. But if I ever bring it home, I'll eat it until its gone. Then beat myself up about for the next 3 day or weeks or months.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:03 PM   #11  
Born Loser

Thanks for the help and info. I guess I just need to be more careful. The pizza was the treat. I added the cheese and ice cream because I thought well it is treat night. Then after I ate it I thought that was stupid. It was treat night not binge night. See when I lost my first 190 I did it by binging every Friday night after weigh in. The thing is this time I don't want to binge. I want to get away from all of my old habits and start new ones.

I think a treat is good and by going over my calories for that day I think it helps in the weight loss. It tells my body I'm not starving it. I think that is why I don't hit to many plateaus. I just need to learn how to treat with out binging

Howie
Old 07-16-2003, 03:29 PM   #12  

Hey H-Man,

Sorry - can't find the link that I mentioned in my e-mail...I'll keep an eye out to see if I can find it...

Kris
Old 07-16-2003, 03:58 PM   #13  

I understand what you are saying, I think, Howie. I also tend to eat the entire top layer of chocolate covered cherries instead of just one or two as a treat. When I eat more than a 'normal' portion of anything it is really a form of self punishment. Not just physically by feeling stuffed but also mentally because I then use that as an excuse to either proclaim myself a failure who has no self control or an excuse to keep eating. Either way that is just punishing me.

I also think you are wise to try to get it in control now because as we get closer to goal it will be harder to keep losing if we make a habit of all those additional calories.

Congratulations on the great job you have done, BTW. You are very inspirational.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:21 PM   #14  

Default D'oh!!! I could write a book

Of course I use food to treat myself. I learned it from Mom and Dad. They would have been great at training seals: Good grades = hot fudge sundae, School's out = steakhouse and desserts, Birthday = cake and ALL the favorites... etc. etc... Food was also used for consolation, pacification and filling in boring spots. Things would have been diferent if the rewards had been raw fish. Hmmmmmmmm

Perhaps I should be glad I'm not more of a blimp.

My program says NO simple sugars or refined carbs for the first 3 weeks. (Seems like forever). Then "dessert" is OK 1x per week.
Sure there's time to feel deprived if you have the instant gratification gene... but you can learn to live with it.

I also discovered when I was a calorie counter that the damage I THOUGHT I had done with binges was usually far far worse than what I had actually done.... Which helped me keep with the program instead of throwing in the towel.

Another thing my program teaches (and re-teaches) is to slow down and SAVOR. In the time I take to have a or whatever, I used to be able to have fries, the shake, the bread sticks, whole bag, and anything cooked but not nailed down etc. etc. etc.

Eating slow allows your stomach to (almost) keep up with your mouth.
Teeth brushing soon after helps, too... Especially if you use one of those Altoid-flavored super mentholated kinds!

I'm going to start a "treat-substitute" list... I started one on a different forum, and can't find it!!
Old 07-16-2003, 10:08 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

i've been watching this thread all day, and it's a great one.

for me, it's portion control. [and let's not go into the sizes of the portions i can manage! you'll all laugh at me for being concerned about it]

but i've also adopted the attitude that if i eat only my portion, then there's some left for another treat on another day. unfortunately, most of the times, things go stale before that hapens.

and i also allow myself a treat sometimes if i've hit my protein, veggie, fruit, and water goals for the day. and i generally don't want anything. i'm finding that if i eat enough protein and a piece of fruit during the day, i don't crave the cookie.

and if i choose the best quality thing at the moment, i don't feel so deprived. so that means a piece of godiva instead of hershey's. or a homemade chocolate chip cookie instead of a piece of store bought cake.

this whole issues ties into the self-care thread. treats are nice things, but we gotta figure out non-food rewards for ourselves.

my office has started a fitness challenge... we're divided into teams and getting points by exercising: 1 point [mile] for every 15 minutes. and the goal is to walk to new orleans [1300 miles] by september.

the reward??? FOOD!!!!! I've been begging for non-food rewards. no luck yet.
Closed Thread