Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #1  
IR/PCOS

S/C/G: 187lbs/ticker/143

Height: 5' 6.5

Default Shopping Fail

I'm feeling a little down at the moment.
So far in my four month journey, I've avoided clothes shopping. Next week I'm starting a new job and needed new black dress pants to wear. So I was kind of forced into going shopping. At the moment I've lost a little more than 10kg (over 20 pounds), so in my head I figured that I should expect to be down a size. All of my every day clothes are too big. I'm wearing my sister's size 10 shorts (it's summer here). So, I tried on size 12's and 10's, thinking that I'd be closer to size 10 than 12.

Nope.

Size 12 - too big around the bum and waist.
Size 10 - too small around calves (I have massive calves) and thighs.

So, back into the older women's section, I went, for a pair of loose pants. And there I stood in the change room staring at myself, desperately chanting to myself that I had lost weight.

How much weight did you lose before you went down a size?

I didn't think it was possible for me to hate clothes shopping more than I did before.

N/B: I am referring to Australian sizes, so size 10 = size 8 US, size 12 UK.
Meeel4121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I was in an 18 and it took me thirty pounds! How frustrating!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I'm still waiting. I'm almost in the next size down.

I just ordered a pair of somewhat tightish black Miss Sixty pants in a 32. They fit, but they were tighter than anticipated. Of course, I can't just get a bigger size, because they don't make them!

Darn my pear shape! I think if I lose 8-10 lbs, they will look perfect.

Anyway, I tried to look at the situation positively. Had I of not lost any weight, then there is no way I could've pulled up the pants (without damaging them).

I sent them back. I'm going to try again at 148.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Get thee to a tailor! Or try different stores to find a shape of pants that fit and flatter you.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #5  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

I have lost 18 pounds and am down a size, although just.

I am also a pear shape so carry most of my weight in my bum and thighs. I tend to have to buy pants for the size of those, and deal with the gapping waist by buying a belt.

I also agree though about the tailor - I started using them a few years ago to do things like reduce the waist size, lower the hems (everything is too short for me, pretty much) and the sleeves. It's pretty cheap, and makes a HUGE difference in the fit of the item at the end of the day. Although if you are still losing weight, maybe it's better to just stick with a belt in the interim, and wait to see what your finished shape will be like??
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:49 AM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Definitely try a different store and a tailor. Seriously, we have have these problems unfortunately. One pair of pants has to make an assumption about the ratios between waist to hips to thighs to calves and it's never going to get it perfect for everyone. Most stores have different ratios so shop around more and you might find something that works better, good luck!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

runningfromfat said it, you probably need a tailor or to try pants with a different cut. You probably did go down a size, but the pants you tried on weren't cut for a woman of your shape.

When I started out it was about 15-20 pounds before I went down a size (I was a US 14/16). From there on it varied. Sometimes I would have to lose 10, other times 15, sometimes 5...

Right now it seems that I drop a dress size BEFORE losing the weight.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

It isn't you, it's the clothes. My sister gave me 6 pairs of jeans a few weeks ago, all the same size, but different brands. They all fit differently. One pair fits awesome, except for the waist band, which is tighter than all get out.

A taylor is a great idea. A couple of darts in the waist band of the slacks isn't that hard to do. I sew, so for me a few adjustments is a no brainer.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

My waist is very think...such an apple so I've lost 10lbs but I'm still in a size 8 (US). I have a really hard time finding pants that fit.
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #10  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I know.... I feel like I should be going down a size too, or at least the clothes I wear now should be loose. I haven't lost as much as you, but I'm anxious nontheless.

I went down a size right away, but I suppose that's because I was right on the cusp. Since then, I'm waiting until I can wear my smaller versions of size 12, and until my 14s are just too big (they still fit well enough). Maybe another ten pounds will do it.

One thing I think happened with me is I was so bound and determined to not buy the next bigger size, determined I would lose the weight, that I'd squeeze myself in to my clothes for as long as I could. It was a game of denial. I'm not fat if I don't have to buy the next size up..... I'd fight that gain and fight against having to go shopping for so long, that I think I just stretched out my clothes. Now they're big, and I think I can move down a size, but that's not the case. The reality is, now size 12 is fitting just right because they are new and the actual size, not my old, worn out and stretched to the max size 12s.

I think finding a good brand makes a great difference. I found these jeans that are perfect for me, and if I could get slacks, and shorts in the same cut, I would! Then the acceptance that some brands are just ridiculously small is next.

You'll probably surprise yourself the next time you have to buy clothes. The last time I lost weight a few years ago, I was in the same position, where I had to buy. There was no putting it off any longer. I went to get one size, and bought two sizes smaller instead! Very exciting day!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #11  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

I've lost nearly 40lbs and am barely down 2 sizes. The smaller size is a little tight and the bigger one is way to loose, but its only temporary and I know it will go away if I keep working at it. Try not to let it get you down and keep working your butt off like you are. One day you will slip into the size 10 and it will be to big in the waist, thighs and calves!
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeel4121 View Post
I'm feeling a little down at the moment.
So far in my four month journey, I've avoided clothes shopping. Next week I'm starting a new job and needed new black dress pants to wear. So I was kind of forced into going shopping. At the moment I've lost a little more than 10kg (over 20 pounds), so in my head I figured that I should expect to be down a size. All of my every day clothes are too big. I'm wearing my sister's size 10 shorts (it's summer here). So, I tried on size 12's and 10's, thinking that I'd be closer to size 10 than 12.

Nope.

Size 12 - too big around the bum and waist.
Size 10 - too small around calves (I have massive calves) and thighs.

So, back into the older women's section, I went, for a pair of loose pants. And there I stood in the change room staring at myself, desperately chanting to myself that I had lost weight.

How much weight did you lose before you went down a size?

I didn't think it was possible for me to hate clothes shopping more than I did before.

N/B: I am referring to Australian sizes, so size 10 = size 8 US, size 12 UK.
Sounds to me like you need to shop around a little bit for a better style or cut for yourself. The kinds of cuts in a pair of pants is as varied as the women that try them on. Keep shopping around, because I'm sure there is a better style/fabric/designer for you. Good luck!
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #13  

I am the type the sees the glass half full )
I didn't buy anything for the last 6 months. When I went shopping 2 days ago, I took the size that felt just a bit tight on me as I am planning to lose 4 more pounds.
chikittita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

It sounds like a wide leg trouser would be better for you.

Something like this Link or Link
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #15  
IR/PCOS

S/C/G: 187lbs/ticker/143

Height: 5' 6.5

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I would say I'm a pear, but I have a tiny waist, big boobs and I'm broad, so I think I fit somewhere between a pear and a hour glass.

I guess that I was just upset that 10kg down (halfway to my initial goal), and I still can't go shopping mainstream teenage/young women shops.

I ended up getting a wide leg pants, that sit on my hips, which need to be hemmed anyway.

incidentally, I found a pair of old dress pants that I had years ago for my grandfathers funeral (typical, i find them once I buy a new pair). Same brand, same size, and yet this pair is significantly bigger on me. I guess it does come down to sizing differences.
Meeel4121 is offline   Reply With Quote