Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #1  
Just One Day!

S/C/G: 270/ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

Default Belly Fat Shift? Am I the only one?!

So weird...
so my natural waist is getting smaller (no complaints here) but the fat on my belly has gotten much looser and round.It seems to be shifting south. It was pretty evenly distributed over my whole torso but now I have a pooch under my belly button. I have never had it before....I've been p90xing for 3 days, before that I was doing a few dance videos each week. Does any one have any experience with this?
tavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Unfortunately when you start to lose weight you often look worse before you start looking better.

Also you can count on losing fat last where you want to lose it first and you'll lose it first from the places you're not concerned about.

The bottom line is you can't control where you lose fat from and if you have enough fat to lose in a given area you'll have loose skin issues.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

JohnP: So honest and to the point! I love it. Totally true - I would love to lose weight from my arms, butt, and thighs. I'm a pear. Instead, I keep losing from my torso. My ribs and collarbone are getting more and more apparent - but my thighs aren't budging.

Tavvy: Even though my torso is lean (due to my pear-shape), I still have a small pouch under my belly button. That is completely normal for women. No worries. It will continue to get smaller, but it rarely ever goes away.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

100% normal, unfortunately.

Like John said, we never lose weight where we want to! Right now my weight is coming off my bust/hips/thighs a lot and leaving my waist along, ugh! My waist is precisely where I need to lose the most, sigh...

Also, through diet and exercise you lose visceral fat, leaving behind subcutaneous fat. Subcutaneous fat is that lovely jiggly stuff on your waist (but trust me this is a good thing because it's the visceral fat that leads to disease and basically all the bad stuff from being overweight whereas some studies show that subcutaneous fat could even have a positive effect on your health). The only thing you really can do is further weight loss.

While exercise is GREAT, you can't spot reduce so you basically just have to be patient and wait for the weight to come off. I've actually heard that even after hitting maintenance you can expect your skin to firm up 1-2 years afterwards and that sometimes results on inches lost on your midsection (I'm so hoping this is true!).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #5  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

UGH! The bane of my existence right now is the belly pooch! Sigh...

Ditto to what everyone else said. You can't pick where the weight loss will come from. I, too, am a pear and I am getting sickly-skinny in my arms and chest now, but my thighs and tummy haven't budged. How can you see ribs and then 5 inches below have a spare tire??? So irritating.

At some point (which I haven't totally gotten on board with yet), you, me and everyone else has to decide how far you are willing to go to achieve your version of perfection. Because I'm not sure it exists without torturing yourself. It is becoming obvious with my body that in order to have a flat stomach, I would have to lose much more weight, and then what would I look like? Anorexic??

Long story short, it is a rarity to lose weight and feel perfect. I am trying to love the way my body looks and performs, and realize that one area of "just okay" is awesome!!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I have the same stomach fat issue, but really that even looks so much better than the big round belly so many of us had going on.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Yes! The top of my abdomen has gotten thinner in proportion to the bottom. In part, I think it's due to looser skin (and interior connective tissue) so that the remaining extra "stuff" just droops lower until it piles up on the pelvis.

But I'm happy that the top of my abdomen (where I measure my waist) is thinner and I don't think the bottom has actually gotten bigger, but it simply hasn't shrunk as much as the top.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #8  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Ahhhh I hear ya!!! Me too, my belly is going south! My upper body is thinning out and the fat is moving down! It will eventually go, hang in there!
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote