Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #1  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Default Do you find your taste buds have changed?

It's the strangest thing. My GF and I were out for dinner, I had a salad with chicken and she had a burger with onion rings. Onion rings use to be my FAVOURITE! I stole one and bit into it and it had this goopy, fatty gross feeling in my mouth, almost like I could taste the pasty fat. I couldn't even eat it! What is that all about?

Also we had a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese for both my boys, I had a bite of birthday cake (I was going to eat the whole slice) but it was super super sweet and pasty. I didn't like the texture or how sweet it was at all! Cake use to be another downfall of mine!

So what gives? Can your tast buds change?

Anybody else experience this? I'd love to hear your stories.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: W=241, J3fc=229/Siggy!!/150

Height: 5'6"

I believe they do!! I've ate meat before, and not paid attention to it really, and it had a little bit more fat on it then i thought.....I though i was gonna barf right then and there....on the other end, I'm eating more and more veggies! I crave them!! used to HATE veggie soup....its now the best thing sliced bread!! LOL!
KaeLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Yes, they can and mine have too!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #4  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

A lot of people report this sort of thing, but I have to admit it's never happened for me. I think it's because I was never a big greasy fast-food sort of eater anyhow - I got fat mostly on good food, real food, just far too much of it. And so I enjoy excellent food as much as I ever have; my tastes haven't changed one iota.

I'd take it as a blessing, if it happened to me - it could be nice to find your former downfalls less tempting.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I was never a big sweets person, but I find that even more now I can't handle them (except good quality chocolate, none of that cheap stuff). My family makes fun of me and says I'm getting old (lol! at 23, apparently!) but I really just can't have sweet things anymore!

In my defense this happened before I started losing weight, but began when I started eating healthier foods.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #6  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
A lot of people report this sort of thing, but I have to admit it's never happened for me. I think it's because I was never a big greasy fast-food sort of eater anyhow - I got fat mostly on good food, real food, just far too much of it. And so I enjoy excellent food as much as I ever have; my tastes haven't changed one iota.

I'd take it as a blessing, if it happened to me - it could be nice to find your former downfalls less tempting.

I could have written this, all of it!

So nope, I still love all my old downfalls: great cheese from around the world, European chocolate, fresh bread, homemade cookies... I had better stop before I make myself hungry!

That's great though that you no longer like your old nemesis - that's gotta make it easier!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #7  
Sarcastic Non-Chick Chick

S/C/G: 360/192/150

Height: 5'7"

To some extent. A while back, I had a couple of cookies--store bought fudge stripes--which were totally within my budget for the day's calories. They were ridiculously sweet, though. I couldn't taste the cookie or the fudge as anything more than just a sugar overload.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post

This is me, too, for the most part. I've been sort of a "foodie" for years. For instance, my husband sometimes likes to have what I consider "crap" cookies in the house, like Chips Ahoy. I buy with and have them around with no problem because they definitely don't tempt me---and this was true even before I started watching my weight back in June.

However, I did and do indulge in some not-so-gourmet treats, such as the pastries at Starbuck's. I have found, though, that my tastes have evolved concerning their pastries (or else they've changed their pastries). I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of their Christimas gingerbread. It finally came in last week, and I ordered a slice. It was so super sweet! (And this is coming from someone with a major sweet tooth). I am not even tempted to order it again. The same thing happened with one of their chocolate chunk cookies. Ordered it, tasted it, and realized it was overly sweet.

So, for most foods, my tastebuds are the same, but for some sweet treats, my taste has changed.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #9  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

I have noticed a change in what I like, I used to LOVE cheese burgers and ice cream! Loved them so much I ate them 5 days out of the week, sometimes in the same night. The last time I tried eating a cheese burger from a restaurant I couldn't do it. The grease made my mouth feel fuzzy and it was not pleasant. I only ended up eating my side salad and taking the burger home for my dog. Same goes for the ice cream I tried to eat before it was so sweet, it actually made my teeth ache.

I would much rather eat a chicken or turkey burger and maybe some frozen yogurt now for my treats.
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Taste buds and taste prefrences are very adaptable, and mine have changed alot over the years, but not always in the way I would have predicted.

For me, it's been more of a widening of food preferences, than a dwindling one (even though I've never been a picky eater). There are a few foods that don't taste as good anymore, but more dramatic is my taste for foods that I didn't like in the past and now love.

I've never been much of a junk food fan, though. Growing up, there was usually only homemade food on the table, dessert was a rarity, and going out to eat was even rarer. It kind of freaks me out sometimes that my mother's eating habits have changed more than mine have (as she's getting older, she's relying more on processed foods, because they're easier - although she has maintained most of her 60 lb Weight Watchers loss, she's not eating as healthfully).

When I was living on my own, I did go out to eat more, but more on ethnic and gourmet food than junk food... and foods with starch and "hidden" sugars. My weaknesses weren't sweet desserts (except for a not-too-sweet cheesecake), or even deep fried foods, but foods like pulled pork barbecue, fried rice, pasta, stuffed baked potatoes, meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

They all still taste great to me, although when I eat them, I don't feel well.

Although I think they always made me feel like crap, I just felt like crap all the time so I never noticed.

So for me, it's more physical symptoms that have improved than "bad foods" no longer tasting good. I sleep better, I don't get as many skin problems, my IBS is better, my sinus and respiratory issues including asthma and chronic bronchitis have virtually disappeared (I still have scarring on my lungs, but that may be permanent).

It's still hard to avoid all the foods that I know do make me sick, because most of them are foods that are "social foods," food that everyone, even dear old grannies "push" on people they love.

"Oh, just have one bit, I went to all this trouble..."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #11  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Yes. I've lost a lot of the cravings I used to get for junk food, too.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #12  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I feel like most of my old favorite foods are just "eh" now. It's like nothing tastes as good as I remember, so when I have the occasional treat, i usually don't indulge as much as I had "planned" b/c it never ends up living up the hype in my mind.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote