Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 07:40 AM   #1  

Default Tuesday....july 15!

Good morning! I woke at 4:00 and couldn't get back to sleep! Darn, darn, darn! And this week DH has off so we can sleep in! Am so disappointed! We went to the Milwaukee Zoo yesterday and had made reservations at a motel that advertised recliner chairs in each room. Well we got to the motel and what they call a recliner was an upright chair with no head rest and a foot stool. For those who doen't know me, I can't sleep for many hours in a bed. Anyway, we can home! We had planned on going to the Milwaukee Museum today.
Oh, about the South Beach Diet. There is a lot of information in the Low Carb forums about it and also at prevention.com and ediets.com. You gotta look around. Am still waiting on the book.
They had be had used on Amazon.
tomorrow night we're going to the local tavern where we know EVERYONE and they are all related to each other. My DD is going to do kareoke. Her DH is going to be there too so it's a family affair. Leens...BF will be there! (Old joke!) I know he will be there cause he and I have to talk about the usher issue at church. (Do you get the idea that this is a small community!?)

See you all later...
Old 07-15-2003, 08:16 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Morning Tip and everyone to come,

Its a beautiful sunny morning

Tip those reclining chairs, was it in hillbilly country
Nothing much new today, I'm here at work and thats about it.

Will pop in later to check on y'all !!

Hugs, Leenie
Old 07-15-2003, 10:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Tippy and Leenie! so good to see you guys! always!

Sure was nice to see a lot of posts yesterday! I love it when everybody is talking. Still miss LindaT and Sweetpea tho*sigh*

Liz, sounds like a fun day yesterday! I would be soooooo sunburnt! are you? good for you with your healthy picnic lunch - you go girl!

I'm gonna go walking at noon again. Can I take a minute to get something off my chest please ..... I am being as good as I know to be.... doing everything I know to do.... doing the best I can and my scale just keeps creeping up and up and up. I could just cry or scream or something. You know when I started chatting at 3fatchicks years ago, I came here because I weighed 180 lbs and needed to lose 30 lbs. This morning my scale says 206 and I really could just cry! What am I doing wrong?????? why can't I lose any weight???? why am I this size???? wahhhhhhhh

ok that being said - I don't think I feel any better for venting - sorry for the ranting!

I hope somebody is losing some weight out there!

group hug,
Cathy
Old 07-15-2003, 11:39 AM   #4  

Talking Howdy!

((((((((((Cathy)))))))))))).............that is tough.....hang in there~

I am not sunburnt but my kids are.......which I feel terrible about.......I slathered on the sun screen.....hubby thinks maybe it is old and no longer working.......feel bad though.......have never let my kids burn before........

We are going to the local outdoor pool with some other family that wanted to hook up today......and it will be new sunscreen, hats and t-shirts for everyone!

I have to clean my house this morning before we go though.........housekeeper is coming tomorrow

We sold our denali.....we had it for a year and a half and got $500 less than what we paid for it......so that was awesome. We are going to buy a van, jeep or something of the like.

I might as well get it out..........my weight is the worst it has ever been........I have to get on top of things....I think that it is great for those of you that are losing........I really am going to focus on getting in shape over the next few months...I think I will start a thread here.

Have a great day everyone!

Eliz
Old 07-15-2003, 12:09 PM   #5  

I just have a second here, but I wanted to tell Cathy that you have to probably be on a thyroid medication in order to lose weight. My DD is on one and still has to watch her diet, but she looks pretty good!
Old 07-15-2003, 12:25 PM   #6  

Tip - my dear sweet tip - I do wish you were my doctor! I agree with ya, I think I need a thyroid med too, but still, something ought to give - maybe I can spend some time and money (someday soon) and find a doc that agrees with me huh! :-)
Old 07-15-2003, 12:31 PM   #7  

Default Cathy

It is a very easy condition to diagnose......a blood test that your doc should be running annually......do you have yearly physical?

Eliz

My hubby has hypothryroid and is on the medication and he could walk 25 miles a day and watch what he eats and doesn't lose a pound.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:13 PM   #8  

Cathy I am sorry to hear you so upset. I know I had to go to another doc just so that they would run the test. My first doc said i didn't "LOOK" like I had a problem. Carzy woman, hwo can you tell from the way soemone looks?

I am still trudging along with this plan and all I know is that I am eating lots fiber. I am not supposed to get on the scale so i have been avoiding it. I am scared to get on it b/c if it doesn't move I might get off of the plan. I don't want that!

Liz I wish I could hit the pool. I am really missing the sun right now. I just told the big man that I am going to Florida agian and he took it pretty well. Surprised me totally. I thought he would be upset but I guess him just getting back from vacation helped cushion the blow.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:28 PM   #9  

Good morning ladies

I am feeling much better today.....it is a beautiful day here today....was on the deck earlier ro have my coffee.

Cathy.....I know how you feel....I have been up & down with my weight over the years....am the heaviest I have ever been.
Last year I lost 12 pounds doing WW...at the beginning of last December....my old doctor doubled the antidepressant....since then I gained about 16 pounds....have been off the antidepressant for 12 days now....have lost 4 lbs. since going off it.
It seems to be a never ending struggle....the losing & gaining.....I have been in tears myself on & off about this struggle.

Liz......we are all in the same boat....it is very frustrating....this struggle.

Tippy.....it isn't good to be on Thyroid medication just to lose weight....it can do damage to the body....to take it for that....a THS bloodwork would have to show that you are hypothyroid....to be on Thyroid medication.
I had cancer of the thyroid 8 years ago....had my thyroid gland removed....so I take thyroid medication every day....once a year...I have a THS blood test done.

JudoMom.....I am glad you got a new doctor finally. My old doctor once told me that no one else can make you depressed....in other words....only you can make you depressed....what a crock....what about genetics.....chemical imbalance in the brain....I know that enviornment has something to do with it also....there are other things....like S.A.D......it doesn't matter what causes the depression.....it has to be treated.

On a lighter note.....I have had asthma....had it as a teenager & in my 20's.....it came back about 8 years ago....but it was mainly coughing spells....especially during the night....when I went off the Effexor....had trouble sleeping...so took Benadyl.....an hour or so before going to bed...it's an antihistamine....but it can make you drowsy.
I started taking it last weekend....what has happened is....the coughing spells have stopped.....my old doctor didn't say to do anything about these coughing spells....he just said take the Ventolin puff....I think my old doctor just thought of me as another overweight woman.....to him....that's all I was.....I went 22 years not knowing that I had S.A.D......I know it can be treated....I know what to do now to treat it....like using the light box from October to April...well he is gone now!!!!

I am rambling here....better stop.

April

Last edited by april99; 07-15-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:39 PM   #10  

hey there gang - yall are all so sweet to me!

Liz - I do see my gynecologist once a year. They do bloodwork and I also request full bloodwork where they check out everything. Last time I went was Sept 02, so it is just about time for me to go again.

Last year (as in most years) my thyroid numbers are like the lowest number they can be and still be in the normal range. The problem is from everything that I have read that the blood test can be misleading and that if you have a lot of the symptons of low thyroid you may have a thyroid problem even if it doesn't show up in the blood work. In my professional opinion if I have most of the symptons of low thyroid (which I do) and the numbers from the bloodwork are the lowest they can be and still be considered "normal", then more then likely I DO have a thyroid problem.

Also my mom has grave's disease which is a thyroid problem and my oldest son also has a low thyroid problem. It is definitely running in my family.

The thing is my gynocologist is really funny about meds (and alternative medicine) and will not prescribe a thryoid med unless the numbers show it.

I just need to get to a doctor that agrees that I have a low thyroid and get the meds. There have been 2 times in my life when a diet doctor did prescribe armour thyroid for me and I was able to lose "some" weight while on them and the Good Lord knows I felt better.

I just have been so busy with doctors and meds for my oldest son that I have not tended to me like I should I guess.

I'm gonna put it towards the top of my list of things to do.

Liz? even on the thyroid meds your hubby has trouble losing weight?

Kemp? I would love to see a sample of what you are eating on BodyRX. Do you post your food journal anywhere? just wondering.

April, you are so right! it's an ongoing struggle. I'm sorry that you and I and everybody here has to struggle with their weight! I really am! Oh I just wanted to clarify something - Tippy and I have been knowing each other for years now on here! We have become great friends. She knows my symptons and my history well and that is why she said I probably need to be on a thyroid med - I don't think she was talking about people in general being on it to lose weight - but ME because I have a low thyroid. Just wanted to clarify - she and I have talked about this lots and lots and she knows how I struggle and how much I am like her daughter who has a low thyroid.

thanks for any and all input guys!
ya'll are THE BEST!!!!!

group hug,
cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 07-15-2003 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:59 PM   #11  

Cathy....I think I remember seeing or hearing something about that ....the blood work can be at the low end of normal....& one can have the symptoms of being hypothyroid.....or you might not have any symptoms except for weight gain....I will have to look that up later on Google.

April
Old 07-15-2003, 03:02 PM   #12  

okie dokie - thanks
if you find anything interesting, I would love to read it.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:05 PM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hey Cathy, I remember when you started here. I recall the both of us were 180 lbs when we started, now I'm WAY over 200 lbs WAY WAY WAY over. I know just how you feel.

You know some times stress can make us eat and we don't even realize what we are doing. Part of my reason for gaining is depression, yes, but the major part was I just gave up on myself, I just wanted to eat and be left alone, I was tired of dieting.

Sit back, write down everything you are eating... write it down here and lets all analyze it. Don't be embarassed because we all have the same problem.

I've noticed writing down what I eat and I dreaded this for YEARS is helping me alot.

Give it a try and let us help you.

I wish I could give you a big hug, you were always there for me w/kind words and I appreciate it... now let us be there for you.

Smoooch !
Old 07-15-2003, 04:22 PM   #14  

Hey Leenie - like I said yall are just too sweet! I just know I'm gonna cry before today is over and no it is not that "time of the month". Yall are just such good buddies. I hate being negative and dishing out my negative feelings, but dad gum it some days they are just there and I have to let them out.

I have been journaling everything I put in my mouth, thinking that would help, and I've also posted a food and exercise journal on a family website that I am a member of. I will copy it here and would appreciate any opinions and/or insights anybody has. I am definitely not being perfect, and yall will see that, but maybe yall will see something that I am not seeing.

And yes girlie, I remember when we both started here too - I can just barely remember what 180 feels like you - how bout you?

I know you are right about depression and stress!. And I know also that the past 3 years have been really hard for me and my family, really stressful, bec of dealing with our oldest son's chemical imbalance. It has been the most stressful thing we have ever been thru, but now that he is doing better it makes the accomplishments HUGE blessings! But I agree the stress has probably taken its toll on me more then I want to admit.

Ok I will bite the bullet and post my food journal here and wait to hear what yall see.

thanks again you guys!

another group hug,
Cathy
Old 07-15-2003, 04:33 PM   #15  

I have gained lots of weight since the 1st time I became depressed after my mother died in 1980....about 50 lbs.....I think a lot of the reasons I ate enough to gain all this weight....was the depression.

Then with gaining all this weight.....came tears about gaining this weight....so I was depressed for whatever reason....so I ate....then I got more depressed because of the weight....it has been like a visious circle.

Leenie....that is another thing....after so many years of dieting....you get tired of it....you do it for a while....then you get tired of measuring & weighing your food....then you say why me....why do I have to have this problem. I think that is why....especially women......are trying to do this repeatedly....year after year.....lots of women are struggling with this problem.

Well today is another day....I only know what I am doing today....& today I am still trying to do my eating plan.

Cathy......can we post our food journal right here on the depression thread?....I haven't seen anyone do that....I would like to do that if is okay.

April

Last edited by april99; 07-15-2003 at 04:36 PM.
Closed Thread