Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 07:10 AM   #1  
she who must be obeyed

Thumbs down WLS Chat....Week of July 14th

Morning all!!

Hot and humid in the deep south.

Some good ideas thrown out about wls-support groups. Barb I like the idea of the panel......would keep (maybe) the know it all's of the world (one or two at every support group) a little more quiet and give other's a chance to talk.

I'm here to confess.........I had a bad day yesterday. Went to the grocery store in the AM and a Snickers bar JUMPED into my basket. How did that happen, so of course I was forced to eat some of it. If you dump, thank your lucky stars.......I don't dump, but once the sugar high was gone I crashed back to earth with a thud and was useless the rest of the day. It doesn't end there, I than had sugar free cookies...........I KNOW BETTER!! rumble, rumble.....GAS......rumble, rumble. Serves me right! I'm back on track this morning, with lots of water and protein.

For those of you who are pre-op, I hope you realize you have a tool......wls is not the easy way out. Yesterday I did not use my tool.......I abused it.

Not much on the agenda for today. We are still passing cars back and forth since we are down one. Hubby hopes to get authorization from the other woman's insurance company today for a rental car. Cross your fingers that that goes smoothly. Hubby is loading pics of my son's car today, I'll link to them later.

Have a good day all!! I know Hazel is in an all day decorating class today.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:03 AM   #2  

Morning! Debkay!!!

waiting for the little guy's bus to come and dh took the big kid to baseball camp.

going walking this am and running some errands...might even pick up some protein drink "stuff" Do any of you have a favorite?

peach

test
Old 07-14-2003, 09:35 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Ladies,

We had a beautiful weekend, the weather even cooperated for once.

Hope y'all have a wonderful day, Deb, don't go to Walmart w/out me

Hugs and Kisses
Old 07-14-2003, 09:47 AM   #4  

She's going to Wal Mart?

when? where?

Hey! Leens, I think they are putting a wal mart up in Boonton.

how is Gracie?

peach

now I am really scooting out of here.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:35 AM   #5  
she who must be obeyed

Darn peachie......I was just getting ready to pick up the phone and call you, but guess you have scooted out already.

Leenie......no Wal-Mart run today, but soon......I promise! I'll pick you up on the way.

Anyone have any hints on the best way to deal with this woman's insurance. My husband will handle it, but it is driving me crazy......doesn't take much

My husband talked to them last week....according to them, they had until 4pm Friday to call us......well, as you can guess they did not call. Their insured was the cause of the accident, given a ticket for failure to yield. (I have the police report.) My poor son is so upset, afraid they will total his car and afraid they will not. If they don't total it, I'm afraid it will never be the same, but on the other hand, typical for a young man......he just loves his car!!!

Chickadee how is it going on your end, dealing with the insurance company???
Old 07-14-2003, 12:12 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

just a quickie.... debk... think again about that 'you don't dump' line. you felt lousy, right? you crashed, right? you felt icky for the rest of the day, right?

GOTCHA!!!!! just your own personal form of dumping!!!! i get dizzy, as in need to hold up the wall.. it varies from person to person.

more later about yesterday's adventures. in which peachie and her youngest pit finally rescued me.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:34 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

JIFF you'd better get back here and give us the rest of the story, you Tease!
Old 07-14-2003, 01:50 PM   #8  

I find nowdays if I eat sugar of any kind (except the Splenda or NutraSweet stuff), I tend to get the 'shakes,' and I haven't even gone for an initial consultation yet. Go figure.

Hopefully, no one has staples or stiches, because here is a joke of the day:

HOW TO SHOWER LIKE A WOMAN:

1. While shower is warming up (with curtain closed), place dirty clothes in laundry basket/hamper.

2. Wash hair, rinse, apply conditioner.

3. Using bodywash scrubber or washcloth (clean), apply bodywash or soap. Rinse self well.

4. Shave legs and underarms.

5. Douche.

6. Step out of shower, wrapping self well in towel. Apply lotion, deodorant, powder, etc.

7. Wipe out shower stall well and make sure there are no water puddles on floor. Pick up any extra wet towels and put in laundry basket/hamper and put up clean towels.

8. Put on fresh clothing.

9. Turn bathroom over to man (Lord help you).

HOW TO SHOWER LIKE A MAN (Side note to Brian-if you do ANY of this, you are so dead ) :

1. Strip off dirty clothes and leave all over bedroom floor for wife/significant other to pick up while shower is warming up (with curtain open).

2. Walking to bathroom, wiggle 'wiener' at wife/significant other.

3. Wash hair (don't use conditioner). Leave cap off shampoo bottle.

4. Laugh out loud at the sound of your farts in the shower and let go healthy belch while you're at it and laugh at that too.

5. Rub soap all over body (don't use washcloth).

6. Step out of shower, leave wet towels (except one you wrap self in) and water puddles all over the floor for the wife/significant other to clean up, fog up the bathroom with half a can of deodorant spray under the arms (provided you use it in the first place)

7. Leave disgusting hair that fell off you and yet more water puddles in the shower stall. Oh, and the toilet seat up too. That will really get the old lady POed.

8. On way back to bedroom, wiggle wiener at wife/significant other once again.

9. Put on fresh clothing.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:02 PM   #9  
she who must be obeyed

here is the link to pics of my son's car. click on the album "Joe's car" We have the car at our home........ still waiting for "her" insurance company to proceed.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/dtjonesga

you may have to cut and paste

the photos, in my opinion do not show the damage well, we also fear engine damage..

Last edited by debkay; 07-14-2003 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:14 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

Default ok. here's the scoop

short version: i ended up in the ER yesterday [sunday] because of a yellowjacket sting. very allergic. had trouble breathing. when they discharged me, i had no way to get home [my car was parked about a mile away - see long version for details] so i started walking, despite the fact that the doc said i should get a ride. got about 3 blocks away, and realized that this was a bad idea. called peachie, who arrived in minutes with her youngest in the car. his first words to me brought tears to my eyes: 'aunt jiff: are you ok?"

long version [and you'd better sit back and relax for this one!]

set off for a nice two hour hike with maggie the dog , 1/2 gal water, cell phone, and inhaler. drove up to the parking lot at the park, took a hit off the inhaler.... and there was the EMS rig. complete with two sweet young boys having lunch. i walked up to them and told them that they weren't going to have to rescue me because i was prepared! [see above]. they said to be sure to call them if i needed help...

so... off maggie and i went. for about 5 minutes. and then i realized that maggie wasn't around. i turned around and she was fending off yellowjackets!!!! i went back and tried to get them off of her and to move her away from the nest, but she was too upset to move. and besieged. and the longer we stayed there, the more yellowjackets attacked her! I was brushing them off, and one flew down my back, stinging me between the shoulder blades. damn!!!

dragged maggie back down the trail, hoping the ems boys were still there... they were. i told them what had happened, and they hopped right out!!! we went to my car, where i SWORE i had topical benadryl [NO!!!!] and they followed with some other stuff to dab on. and tried to talk me into going to the ER since i KNEW i was allergic to these little buggers and had asthma.

i told them no. one of them looked so hurt!!! such sweet sad eyes... so we compromised. they could follow me home so i could drop off the dog, and then they could follow me to the hospital, and if i ran into any problems, i'd let them know.

off we went. dropped the dog off, and started for the hospital, but after three blocks, i started wheezing, and KNEW this wasn't a good thing. so i got out of the car. they picked me up, loaded me onto the stretcher [with me convinced that i would never fit - after all, the last time i went through this, i weighed 500 pounds!!!]. they gave me oxygen. took a history and called in my impending arrival...

when we got there, i said i would walk in there. the one with the sad eyes said : you want to get seen quickly, don't you? let us wheel you in.

ok. so off we went. with me telling them to be careful and not hurt themselves, they kind of laughed and said that they'd lifted people much heavier than i was... <see? no perspective here!>

SO... into an ER cubby. sweet young nurse. i was a truly irate crank. all i really had planned to do - after 4 loads of laundry and the grocery shopping - was this hike!!!!AND LOOK WHAT HAD HAPPENED!!!!

nice ER doc. very sympathetic. and it was nice to see my friends the respiratory techs, who remembered me and were happy.

nebulizer treatment. huge dose of benadryl and prednisone. and then i could go home... i figured i could walk the mile to my car. after all, it was a nice day and i didn't want to disturb anyone. so, off i went. and got about 3 blocks and realized this was a very bad idea.

so, i called peachie and asked her how much she loved me. her answer: what did you do now? i asked her again. she answered again: what did you do?

i told her. she said to stay right there, and she'd be there in a few minutes.

so there i sat in the shade and waited a whole very few minutes before she showed up. with the little guy. peachie said that she had announced that they had to go rescue auntie jiff, and only one of the boys was interested in helping!!!!! and this little guy was worried about me!!!!! poor little boy..

and then i had to tell peachie the whole story, because she didn't understand why i hadn't called her in the first place. and when i told her i didn't want to bother anyone, she said that it all made sense, in a strange sort of jiffy way...

that was odd, since i thought i'd been very logical. but that's what sisters are for!!!!

so, she dropped me off at my car, and i went home, and she went home.

when i got home, there was poor maggie, with her eye swollen nearly shut and her poor ears swollen too. so, i called the vet on his emergency number. he called back in an hour, a little grouchy at being called. but he softened when he heard what had happened, and all i had really wanted to know was whether i could give poor maggie some benadryl. he said yes. and some low dose aspirin,. and the poor girl just let me shove those pills down her throat.

and i repeated the dose later, and took her to see the vet this morning because her eye was still swollen.

and we both had major benadryl hangovers. but i'm glad to report that we're both fine.

so, that's the story.... peachie saved me.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:23 AM   #11  
she who must be obeyed

Jiff what are we going to do with you Thank God for sister's and the little guys of the world!

Off for an early walk with Hazel, more later.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:57 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

Good Lord, Jiff! It's a wonder they let you out on your own. I'm glad you and Maggie survived. Peachie and the little guy are a mizpah.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:49 AM   #13  
Old Cackler

MITZVAH!!!!!

at least i picked up the epi pen this morning. and i'll get a couple of others to have in strategic places. and i'm shopping for a fanny pack, since i now have to take an epi pen, topical benadryl, and the damn cell phone everywhere i go!!! and a few benadryl caps for the dog.

desensitization is sounding like a good idea right now. better than lugging all that crap!!!!

sooooo. this morning, off we went again! but this time, we went on the trail that DIDN'T have the yellowjackets. a nice time was had by all. maggie came when called, and had several nice dips in the stream. and there were quite a few ripe wild blueberries. and no mosquitos either!

Last edited by jiffypop; 07-15-2003 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:52 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

Mitzvah/mizpah- whatever! (Isn't mizpah a blessing?) Stay out of trouble already!
Old 07-15-2003, 02:06 PM   #15  

Ay caramba, Jiff! Be careful out there. What would I do without your wisdom?
Closed Thread