Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #1  
Ready...Set....GO!

S/C/G: 132/120/110

Height: 4'11"

Default 2lb gain in 24 hours?! I'm so discouraged...

yesterday morning, I weighed 125.5lbs. This morning, I weighed 127.5lbs. What the crap?

Could it all be water weight I'm holding on to? it isn't my TOM, and I didn't eat particularly salty yesterday, either. It's just so frustrating....I worked out 2 different times yesterday for about 20 minutes each, and did pretty well with my eating. I didn't, however, drink much water. I didn't drink much of anything.

Do you think that is my accurate weight? SO discouraging....
Emerald Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey... Don't worry, it's probably water weight (because you can't put on 2 pounds of fat in 24 hours). And the reason is because you didn't drink water. It sounds wrong, but the fact is that if you don't drink enough water, your body holds onto it. So drink that water!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Do you think you binged around 7000+ calories yesterday? If not, there is your answer. Remember, weight is just a number on the scale affected by water retention, the fluids you take in, the crap you take in the morning, sodium, etc.

If you can't deal with these daily trends (some can, some can't - that's for you to decide) then I suggest weekly or even monthly weighing.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #4  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

Unless you ate in excess of 7000 calories, then you did not gain 2lb in 2 days. Your body fluctuates daily; don't be discouraged by the normal weight fluctuations.

One thing that helped me get a better perspective on this was to weigh in daily (there is a daily weigh-in thread each month at 3FC) and to chart weight loss/gain. I found that I lose weight pre- and during my cycle, don't lose a single ounce between my period and ovulation, gain at ovulation (water retention), then drop weight almost daily after ovulation.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #5  
Ready...Set....GO!

S/C/G: 132/120/110

Height: 4'11"

thanks everybody! I know in my head that i couldn't have gained 2lbs in 24 hours, but it's still a shock and discouragement to work so hard and see an increase in numbers...

I'm going to pour myself a big glass of ice water. *grumble*

It's nice not to be alone.
charting may be a very good idea for me... Thanks again.
Emerald Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

The problem with daily weighing is that your weight fill fluctuate. It might be a good idea if you're set on daily weighing to record each day's weigh ins; this way you'll be able to see patterns and will not be so surprised when you miraculously "gain" two pounds.

I've been recording my weigh-ins since I was 192 pounds. I've since noticed patterns in how I retain water and how I lose weight. Sometimes I can correctly guess if I'm going to be down or up in weight because I'm so tuned into my body's fluctuations.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #7  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Fluctuations in weight is normal. I weigh myself every day, so I see this type of jump in weight all the time.

Since you didn't drink much water yesterday, and because you exercised, you're probably just retaining.

Possibly you ate something a little saltier than you realize, or maybe you ate something more sugary than you realize..... Or sometimes there's no explanation.....

Drink lots of water, watch what you eat, and that weight will be gone in the next couple of days.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #8  

It sounds like you need to weigh just once a week because you don't handle daily fluctuations well.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #9  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

I wouldn't give that a second thought. Its totally normal to fluctuate a couple pounds from day to day. For example, yesterday I weighed in at 140.2, this morning I am 141.2. I had a great day yesterday, ran for over an hr, kept my calories on track, didn't have much salt and yet here I am up a whole pound! You will probably drop those extra pounds in a day or two! Don't let it get you down
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Totally normal. I weigh every day - yesterday I was 131.2, today I'm 133.4. Just how our bodies work - there's multiple reasons for very normal fluctuations.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #11  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
It sounds like you need to weigh just once a week because you don't handle daily fluctuations well.
Better still, learn about fluctuations and understand them and get comfortable with them, even if you decide to weigh once a week. You need to develop this understanding because fluctuations can easily mask a week or two's worth of fat loss - you can still see weight gains that don't correspond to actual fat gain even if you weigh once a week.

To the OP, the others have set you on the right track - daily fluctuations in weight happen for a variety of reasons, most of which are not within your control. Sticking to your plan will cause you to lose weight over time, but you can't expect to see your weight march cooperatively downward day after day, because (as nice as it would be) the body doesn't work that way.

Just keep in mind that the most important question in evaluating your success is not whether you weigh less today than yesterday. It's not even whether you weigh less today than you did a week ago. What matters is whether you weigh less today than you did a month, or two, or three ago.

Last edited by carter; 11-18-2011 at 12:20 PM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #12  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

I can really relate to your pain - because 5 days ago I gained SIX pounds overnight, and I'm still carrying around 4 of them. Effectively erasing my whole month's work so far, or so it feels anyway.

Just don't do what I did and go completely off plan (yesterday). I woke up this morning feeling rotten, but the good part was that it stiffened my resolve to continue on with my plan, regardless of horrendous fluctuations. It's just not worth it to go back to waking up and feeling mad at myself and hopeless. Plus, the candy gave me a wicked dry mouth.

I still am going to continue with daily weighing, because for me the payoffs of pounds lost (when they happen) trump the days when the scale goes up... but you'll have to figure out what works for you.

Keep it up and GL!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #13  
Sufferer of abibliophobia

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

2lbs is nothing. I can easily fluctuate 8-9lbs in a day.
pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 168/148/135

Height: 5'8"

I had a bad Halloween weekend, lotssss of treats and going out to eat, and that Monday I'd gained FIVE pounds! But I was back to my current weight by the next day. So I wouldn't worry.
lissvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 150/140/135 150/137/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Eyes View Post
yesterday morning, I weighed 125.5lbs. This morning, I weighed 127.5lbs. What the crap?

Could it all be water weight I'm holding on to? it isn't my TOM, and I didn't eat particularly salty yesterday, either. It's just so frustrating....I worked out 2 different times yesterday for about 20 minutes each, and did pretty well with my eating. I didn't, however, drink much water. I didn't drink much of anything.

Do you think that is my accurate weight? SO discouraging....
muscle weighs more than fat. is it possible you have better muscle tone?
teagal is offline   Reply With Quote