Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/TICKER/150

Height: 5'10

Default So excited/confused at the same time!

Good Morning All~

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week-its almost the weekend! I am writing this because I am very confused about my recent weight loss. On Sunday, I began my weight loss journey after so many failed attempts. After finding this site, I am certain there will be no more "starting over" and I will be able to commit to this lifestyle change. I not only want to lose weight, but I want to become more healthy as well. I am 5'10 and weighed 197 on Sunday. My goal weight would be somewhere between 150-160. I have a medium to large frame so anything smaller then this would to be way to small. My eating habits in the past have been ATROCIOUS to say the least. I am a chipotle ADDICT and could find myself in that restaurant at least 2-3 times a week, getting extra everything. I can shamefully say, I was consuming at least 4000 calories daily (probably more then that). I am addicted to Cherry Pepsi-I could go through a 2 liter in a day. I can go on and on about my horrible eating habits but I'm sure everyone gets the picture I've committed myself to not eating more than 1200-1350 calories, no sodas or juices (only water). I am not really exercising to much at the moment. I do plan on purchasing an elliptical this weekend, and getting on it in the mornings. Soooo to my question. I weighed myself this morning (even though I swore up and down I would do it weekly). I am already down 8 lbs! It's only been 4 days! Even though I am excited about the weight loss, aren't I losing weight to fast? Could this be water weight? Or simply a shock to my system after the horrible eating I've experienced in the past?

Thank you all for your input. I am so happy I found this site. Good luck to all of you and thank you for the support!
dazzlemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #2  

I forgot to add-I am inquiring about this because I am very worried about yo yo dieting, and gaining all that weight back in the event that I binge...Thanks!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations on a great start !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #4  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I recommend adding more calories to your plan too. I started off the same way you did. Overeating at McDonald's, thousands and thousands of calories a day, cans of coke, etc. I severely restricted the first few weeks as a way to "detox" but it was not sustainable at all for me. I joined a gym, added in more calories and felt so much better!

If you restrict calories now to 1200-1300 you will undoubtedly lose weight but what's going to happen when you reach that inevitable plateau where many have to decrease their calories to get over that stall? Then you'll be looking at 1100 calories. Maybe 1000? Then you are just going to be miserable and unhealthy.

I recommend starting at maybe 1500. You will still lose weight with this number but when you start slowing down or stall completely then you can go to 1400. See what I'm saying? But if you start out low...well....you may regret it later.

And don't put off exercising. Get that elliptical and have fun! I have one at home too and I love getting in a good morning cardio workout while watching the morning news.

I also recommend reading some posts over on the "Chicks in Control" board. Wonderful ladies there.

Last edited by ShanIAm; 11-17-2011 at 08:50 AM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

High amounts of sugar and salt can make us retain large amounts of water. So a lot of your loss is probably water (but that is also good, no worries, less bloating!).

I think it sounds like you are doing a great job. And this website is super good for learning how to avoid yo-yo dieting.

Some people will tell you to increase your calories because you are very tall. Others will tell you to cut out carbs. But this is your journey and your body. Just remember that everyone is unique. We find what works the best for us.

For example, I run 4 x's a week and have an active walking lifestyle here is Europe. If I cut out the carbs or were to eat 1300, I would not last long.

However, someone who is diabetic and homebound may find they have excellent results on a 1200 cal. low-carb diet.

So, just tweak your plan along the way, as you find how you feel optimal.

I was also very excited to find this website!
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 259/227/175

Height: 5"10

Wow 8lbs is brill! Well done. I always find that first *whoosh* of losing the bloat gives more energy and focus. You must be chuffed x
chazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

It will all even out, keep going!
NoMoreKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

Restaurant food and soda pop have tons of sodium in it so cutting that stuff out will cause you to drop a lot of water weight, which is perfectly fine. I agree about going up to about 1500 calories a day or so, especially when you start working out. There are some great caloric needs calculators online. I like to see what a few say and then go for an average of the results.
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #9  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Great job recognizing and admitting that your calorie consumption was out of control...that was very hard for me.

Just one piece of advice: if the scale stops moving, you keep moving! 3 weeks in I stalled and was very frustrated, but thanks to the advice I saw on 3FC I kept counting and moving, eventually the weight loss started right back up again!

I also like shaniam's advice. Don't start off so low, give yourself some wiggle room.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

If you were really eating 4000 calories a day than it is no surprise you've dropped 8 lbs so fast.

As you're eating healthy you need to begin educating yourself and your lesson for today is learning the difference between weight and fat.

What you want to lose is fat.

You've lost 8 lbs of weight. How much of this is fat? Who knows? Assuming your maintinence is around 2500-3000 calories and you've been consuming 1200-1500 calories you've probably lost more than 1 lb of fat but less than 2.

As to whether or not you should increase calories - it depends.

Do you feel you're suffering on your current calories? How hungry are you?

What kind of food are you eating? A variety including plenty of veggies? Are you getting enough protein.

By careful where you get your information. I like Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, and Liegh Peele.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #11  

Thank you all for the responses! I'm very excited to see progress so quicky, but do dread the idea of plateuing early on...
@ShanIam That sounds like a great idea. I'm going to up my calorie intake slightly starting next week and go from there. I'm so excited to get my eliptical, so I will definitly be incorporating that into my routine. Congrats on your weightloss, you look amazing!
@Unna Thanks for the info! I'm very excited that I found this site. Everyone seems so supportive! I was actually tempted to binge last night, but after reading various posts, that idea went completly out the window!
@ John I'm actually not hungry at all. I've never been a fan of beef, pork, etc so eat chicken daily. I'm not a huge fish person, but for variety I may through that in there once in a while. My meals so far have been as follows:
Breakfast: Yougurt (light) mixed with granola and/or oatmeal
Cup of orange juice
Lunch: I've been eating Smart One's for lunch and/or lean cusine
Dinner: Whatever I cook for dinner for the kids, but in moderation. For the last few day's i've mainly been eating salad w/ chicken breast and a light dressing.

I never binge out of hunger. It's always out of boredom or because it's there. After looking through many of the posts i've come up with other ways to combat my binges reading, etc.

Thanks again and you all are truely an inspiration to me!