General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/213/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Slim Fast Alternative?

Hello! I'm just starting my weight loss journey so perhaps I should preface my question by saying if my thought process is off the rocker please let me know!

After working out and moreso at breakfast I'm noticing that it's a stretch for me to eat. Usually I'm just not hungry at the time but I know I should be having something to make sure I'm not OMG hungry by the next meal.

I was thinking that maybe something like a Slim Fast at breakfast or after workouts would help (and making sure my blood sugar remains level). My one huge hurtle is I'm dairy intolerent and can't have any pre-made shakes like slimfast. I haven't tried any dairy based powder mixes, however, if possible I'd like to stay away from them.

Is there a dairy free "slim fast like" powder out there that I could use a meal replacer but wouldn't completely derail my weight loss plans?

Just as an example I went to Trader Joe's today and they had a Hemp based meal replacement powder but it said on the bottle not intended for weight reduction.

Last edited by justdazed; 09-29-2011 at 05:30 PM.
justdazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdazed View Post
Is there a dairy free "slim fast like" powder out there that I could use a meal replacer but wouldn't completely derail my weight loss plans?

Just as an example I went to Trader Joe's today and they had a Hemp based meal replacement powder but it said on the bottle not intended for weight reduction.

"Not intended for weight reduction," doesn't mean that the product can't be used for weight reduction. The product will not prevent weight loss (only excess calories can do that).

It's just a disclaimer companies use to mean "don't sue us if you don't lose weight, we never said you would."

I learned that there is often very little difference between weight control shakes (like Slim Fast and others like it) and weight GAIN shakes (like Ensure and some of the body building supplements like Muscle Milk).

Check it out for yourself. Read the ingredients and calorie, fat, carb, fiber, and protein counts on weight loss shakes and weight gain shakes, read the ingredient lists, and you'll see how similar the weight gain and weight loss products are. Sometimes the weight gain shakes will have a little more fat or sugar, but even so you will find weight loss shakes with very similar nutritional profiles.

Sometimes you'll find them identical, except for the name on the label. I've found this in many store brands especially (stores like Walgreen's, K-Mart, Walmart, ShopKo, Target, IGA, Kroger...).

Not only was the calorie count the same on the weight loss and gain products, so were ALL of the nutrition stats and the ingredient list (down to the order of the ingredients). When made by the same company, what's happening is that they're changing the can and the box, but not the formula going into those cans.

The weight loss shake and the weight gain shake are the same shake, only the label is different, and the instructions (use in place of a meal, or in addition to a meal).

The difference is in how they're used (as meals, or in addition to meals).

In other words, you get to decide how to use them. If you're using them and reducing your calorie intake, you will lose weight. If you're using them and are increasing your calorie intake, you will gain weight.

You get to decide whether they're intended for weight loss or weight gain.

They won't "make" you lose or gain weight either way - it's the calorie intake (and expenditure) that will determine weight gain or loss.

After all any calorie-dense food can be a weight loss food or a weight gain food, depending on your calorie intake.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I once lost 30 lbs using Slim Fast. That said, nowadays I look at the ingredients and cringe. WAY too much sugar. If you need pre-packaged, look at some of the other ones out there and compare sugar and protein contents.

I prefer to make my own protein shakes, it takes about a minute for me to dump in the water, dump in the powder, mix, pour, drink, wash out the mixer. It's the protein that fills you up and keeps you full, and many protein powders also have vitamins and minerals the same as Slim Fast.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 09-29-2011 at 06:06 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 232/213/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Check it out for yourself. Read the ingredients and calorie, fat, carb, fiber, and protein counts on weight loss shakes and weight gain shakes, read the ingredient lists, and you'll see how similar the weight gain and weight loss products are. Sometimes the weight gain shakes will have a little more fat or sugar, but even so you will find weight loss shakes with very similar nutritional profiles.
Thank you! You articulated pretty much the core of my question, I didn't think to compare the nutritional value and go from there. There are a couple of vegan powders I liked and will compare. I would like to stay away from high sugar and higher carbs.
justdazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

You don't have to eat breakfast. I don't like eating in the morning. Yes, I'm hungry by my first meal, usually at 1 or 1:30 PM, but isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

It's called intermittent fasting (IF). I was introduced to it on this board. There are tons of great resources here and elsewhere. Studies are showing more and more that eating fewer times a day, during a smaller "window" of time throughout the day, delivers a great deal of positive health benefits.

Plus, more calories to "spend" on bigger lunches and dinners ^_^

Sorry, this didn't address your question of an alternative to slim fast- just wanted to share!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #6  
Re-losing found weight

S/C/G: 259/241/175

Height: 5'8"

Having had weight loss surgery years ago, one of the biggest concerns for any post-op person is what is the best tasting protein and it can be a real challenge. I have learned a lot about the various options by my own experience but even more by reading others posting about their success (and failure) in finding something that is good for them AND is edible LOL! Lactose is a huge issue too so there are many options that don't contain milk products AND that you can mix with either milk or water.

Since you are lactose intolerant a couple of options come to mind. You can get a whey or soy protein powder that can mix smoothly in water with little fuss. You can put 1-2 scoops times however many servings you want to have into little baggies and mix your protein on the run. They have the usual flavors (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, mocha, cappuccino, chicken soup flavor and an unflavored one that is called "natural" that doesn't have a taste and is meant to be mixed into any food or drink and it shouldn't be noticeable. These all come to mind plus I am sure by now there are many others.)

Another option is a thinner type protein drink that has a taste and consistency of kool-aid and comes in more fruity flavors. Also, there are protein "shots" that you just down quickly.

I would suggest going to a health food store such as GNC or any place where they have a good variety. Take some time and compare what is there as far as calories, protein grams and sugar. Most powders and mixes I have mentioned are very low sugar or no sugar. If the salesperson is knowledgeable then maybe see what they have heard or if they have used them. With the thin drinks that are like kool-aid, perhaps buy one or two and see how you like them.

You can also look up low sugar protein powders/drinks and find companies that sell a variety pack of samples. I know Unjury does and I am SURE other places do too so that should help too. Once you settle on some that you like then you can order in a bigger bulk and comparison shop online and in actual stores including warehouse stores and places like wally world!

If you prefer a protein bar you can do the same type of reseach. For that I went to health food stores and to wally world and I bought multiple types until I found what was good to me. Many but not all of them have low sugar and low carbs but others have very high in calories and carbs so you will definitely need to read the labels there.

Hope this helps and if you have more questions be sure to ask.

Take care,
Kellye
red65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #7  

Make your own smoothie. Just a banana, cup of berries of your choice (I use frozen berries to make the smoothie cold) and just enough water so it blends to a nice smooth consistency (no dairy required). Protein powder optional. Tastes good and can be filling plus you aren't filling yourself with mystery ingredients in pre-made products.
TheCuriosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:14 AM   #8  
it's always something

There is a ready to drink product called Svelte that is dairy free and doesn't contain a lot of sugar. Each 16oz serving contains 260 cal. It contains a variety of sweeteners (only 9g sugar) including a touch of stevia. You should be able to find it in a local natural food store. If you like it, Amazon has it at a much better price than offered by the Svelte website.

http://sveltebrand.com/products/
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #9  

Default Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuriosity View Post
Make your own smoothie. Just a banana, cup of berries of your choice (I use frozen berries to make the smoothie cold) and just enough water so it blends to a nice smooth consistency (no dairy required). Protein powder optional. Tastes good and can be filling plus you aren't filling yourself with mystery ingredients in pre-made products.
thanks so much my head was spinning with all the suggestions. If my blender still works I can do this
rev.robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 249/242.6/140

Default Soylent?

If anyone stumbles on this still looking, I wanted to add that there's a company that makes a vegan meal replacement called Soylent that you can order from their site or from amazon. It comes as a powder mix or ready to drink bottles. A whole bottle is 400 calories but it keeps for a couple of days after opening if you only want to drink half. I personally find it very bland and inoffensive; there aren't many protein drinks that I like. They designed it so 2000 calories of the highly processed stuff has complete nutrition for a day so it's fairly balanced.
Isana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #11  

Thank you!
Molly Larkins is offline   Reply With Quote