Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 05:50 AM   #1  
Meg

Talking LWL #111 -- Week Of July 14, 2003

Good morning, ladies who lift!

It’s a new week and I woke up knowing that today will be a great day! Maybe it even won’t rain here in Pittsburgh for a change! All this water has been great for my herb garden but the weeds are going crazy this year, too. So I spent yesterday outside, pulling weeds, sweeping the driveway, cleaning the grill etc. I had on a pair of jeans and my tankini top (straps pulled down) since I was trying to even out my (slight) tan. Along waddles my (obese) neighbor and her (also obese) dog, who looks at me and sniffs — in a snotty voice — “still going to the gym, I see — you’re getting awfully muscular”. Do you know what? It didn’t even bother me in the slightest! There was a time when I would have felt self-conscious or questioned what I was doing or been embarrassed, but no more — I LIKE my muscles. And I sure am happier now with muscles than when I was overweight and out of shape.

So — lifting my coffee cup high — here’s to the ladies who lift and who have muscles and are proud of them!

I’ll be back later ... gonna run and do some cardio early, hit the grocery store (gym and grocery store are side-by-side — totally convenient), and then do chest later this afternoon.

Meg
Old 07-14-2003, 07:27 AM   #2  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default You go girl!!

Hey Meg!! What a great and inspiring post!! Although I am ending my day.... I will wake up tomorrow and when I want to roll over and stay in bed.... I will think... 'hey... Meg did not get that comment about her muscles staying in bed on a Tuesday morning... get out there and be proud of your muscles too!!".

*yawns* time for sleep for this little Maple Leaf... I updated the bike club's website to keep myself busy and out of the kitchen... I am in week 12 (day 2 done) and I have never struggled like I am day to day right now. Thank goodness we cooked a bunch of meals yesterday and all I had to do was put some rice/chicken/veggies into the microwave, otherwise I would have been in trouble again!!

Have a good Monday everyone!!

Nola.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:28 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Good Morning Meg! and of course ALL the LWL's too

Yes I too feel like it will be a awesome day... I have several things to do, like take my "mole children" out of the house to do something! But every time I take them out it's gotta cost $$$, argh!!!! I guess I should look at it that University will cost much more $$$ than taking them out to lunch and to a museum once in a while in the summer.... Fortunately they still enjoy hanging with their parents who take them everywhere...

I have several "goals" for today too... 1. Considering that it's been sooo hot and I've been biking alot, I still don't get my quota of water in /day!! So that is my main goal today... 2. STAY OP!! for gawd sakes Ilene!!!!! I went on a carb binge yesterday... I was craving breads! Imagine with margarine on it too!!! I must have eaten at least 4 slices of bread and several buns... Altho all were WW it was still too much.... 3. Because I was sooooo off program this w/e I must stay below or near 1300/day for a couple of days to make up for my lack of discipline this w/e...

Now Meg and girls, keep me honest will ya's?!!

I had a great leg workout this morning.... I know my hammies are gonna be screamin' later... gotta go take some glutamine....

Later all keep OP everyone!! (I AM talkin' to myself ... really )
Old 07-14-2003, 07:31 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Good Morning Nola!!! We seem to have posted at the same time... Hang in there girl we KNOW you can do it... Are you taking a week break after your challenge?
Old 07-14-2003, 07:38 AM   #5  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Good morning early birds! I just loaded the kayaks, gf and I are going paddling and swimming today. Not officially an exercise day but active nonetheless. I increased my weights in every single exercise last week so I feel proud of that accomplishment. Just finished the third week of lifting the BRX cycle 3, I believe I will do those 3 cycles one more go around after a week off to rest. Still experimenting with diet, but I feel like I am in a good place there as well. Hope everyone has a great week.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:44 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Meg -- “still going to the gym, I see — you’re getting awfully muscular”. I was outside watering the garden thinking about you and your neighbour's snotty comment... Wouldn't you just love to retort: “still NOT going to the gym, I see — you’re getting awfully FLABBY”... But I would never be able to actually say that and I know that you are too much of a classy woman to say it either, BUT we sure can THINK it....

I just had to come back in and post that... I can be soooooo catty sometimes... (in my mind that is...)

Hi Ledom.... Hope you have a great kayaking day!!! and BTW that IS a w/o!!!
Old 07-14-2003, 11:00 AM   #7  

Meg sometimes I think that people who aren't doing anything for their weight issues want to bring us down with them. I think you have done great and I wouldn't doubt she is just jealous. I think women with muscle tone is great.

Ledom I have never been in a kayak b4. Is it fun? We usually stick to motored boats down here. We have to outrun the gators.

Illene all I did was eat yesterday too. I did try to make it all of the foods that I was supposed to be eating but I don't think I stopped all day. I htink it was b/c I was bored. Hubby left for Denver and I didn't have anything to do. It was really hot outside so going out was out of the question.

I have been having a good day so far but it is only 10 AM right now so I still have a ways to go. The boss still isn't back so lunch is going to be a scramble and so will working out. He sure does know how to mess that up deosn't he.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

hello all,

To quote Eminem "Guess who's back? Back again."

It has been a long while since I have been on here. Some of the time I was on vacation with the kids - Six Flags in Atlanta - and a bit of the time, I was really busy at work.

Sad to say it, but the rest of the time, I was too embarassed to get on the site and post because I had fallen off the wagon and right into the vending machine/baskin robbins/potato chips habit again. I am so disappointed with myself. I have gained back 10 of the pounds that I worked so hard to lose and I also know that even before the 10 pounds showed up on the scale, I was losing muscle and adding fat back as well. I haven't seen the inside of Ballys in forever, nor did I go to Courtsouth while I was in Tennessee. I have been too embarassed to go.

So today, a week after my 36th birthday, a week after I dreadfully missed my goal to be at 130, I am getting back on track. so far today, I have had an eggwhite omelette with 1 slice wheat toast, plain, lowfat yogurt, and celery stalks. I refuse to make eye contact with the vending machine. I will go to Ballys and use the stuff that my money is paying for and I will NOT be ashamed. Okay, maybe I will be a little ashamed cause I know I won't be able to lift the same amount that I used to, but I will suck it up and go anyway.

Oh yeah, the obese woman with the obese dog was jealous as HECK! If I lived across the street from you, I would be jealous too, but I wouldn't be ignorant enough to say something that dumb. Instead, I would have asked for help for me and for poor poochie!
Old 07-14-2003, 12:15 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Good morning y'all!!!

Hey - new killer website look! Love it!!!

Oh Meg - I hear ya - it's what Mike Fumento called "the Crab-Bucket Syndrome" in his book The Fat of the Land - if you have a bunch of crabs in a bucket - and one tries to climb out the rest of the crabs will grab him and pull the would-be escapee back into the bucket. Misery loves company, y'know.

It was SO nice this weekend - way too nice to stay home...so guess where I was? (yes with the horses...but also spending quality time with hubby...and my nieces).

I've decided to take this week off from weights - haven't had a break in awhile - still doing cardio though - but since the weather is so wonderful...doing hillwalking again. The mornings are glorious - there are all sorts of creatures walking about at the crack o'dawn...deer...racoons...possums...kittycats...an d the occasional skunk (okay, I'm keeping a distance from them!). I've just felt devoid of energy lately...my body telling me to give the weights a rest for a few days...ya know...

Tiki - welcome back! (funny you should mention Baskin-Robbins...guess what Jim and I shared yesterday...along with some cheese pizza (thank God the new pizza place downtown sells it by the slice as well as the pie...). But I'm ready to start a nice clean week...no weights but eating clean...
Old 07-14-2003, 03:05 PM   #10  
Student of the Hoof

Good afternoon folks! Meg, what a great story... I think I'm the kind of person who would have jumped up, started flexing, and said "yeah, LOOK at this, isn't this AWESOME!?!" I already show off my traps to anyone who will look. I'm sad.

Mrs Jim, something delightful happened this weekend that I think you might relate to.. I am now the proud lessor of a lovely young quarterhorse mare! Ostensibly for my daughter. She's a darling bay with a disposition like a great big puppy. My daughter will be starting her first english lesson this Wednesday, she's only ever ridden western before, so this will be an interesting change for her. I told her all those squats and lunges we've been doing will come in handy, for sure!

I'm not sure how I managed it, but between eating somewhat decently and exercising my fanny off last week, I managed to correct the damage done the previous few weeks of being in la-la-land. Now I just have to make PROGRESS. I managed to shave a couple minutes off my 2 mile run in the last week or so, which is absolutely a thrill for me. I'm holding steady on the weights for a couple weeks till I feel like I'm ready to push harder.

Tik - it's nice to see you back... and please don't feel bad about bailing on the healthy stuff for a while. I think we all have times where it just gets to be too much, but then we get right back on track again and make it work.

Happy Monday!
Old 07-14-2003, 04:21 PM   #11  

AAUUGGHH!! I just came across the can that we get our peaches for the smoothie bar out of and I was not happy. I order then and I thought it was the no sugar kind but to my surprise they have peaches, corn syrup and sugar as the ingre. Of course this is after I had a breakfast of a Lean Body shake with peaches. I am so mad!!! I hope I didn't blow it too bad. It was an honest mistake so maybe my body won't revolt to bad. I am doing too good on this thing to screw up now.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:32 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Tik -- Welcome back girl!! And now that you're here just get back on that wagon and come along with us again.... We all fall every once in a while, but the important thing is to get back on again and stop beating yourself about it... So again welcome back...

Kempyd -- I doubt that that little bit of sugar will make the difference in the whole picture of things... but I know how annoying it can be when you just don't want that sugar in your diet....

The kids and I went mini putting it was fun... we went to Pizza Hut for lunch but I only had the salad with chicken and did like you Karen no croutons and fork in the dressing... It did the trick...

Later all...
Old 07-14-2003, 04:40 PM   #13  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Hi there ladies!

I'm having a wonderful day. After a couple of weeks of not finding my groove and cheating like crazy, I'm back together again. Determined not to take a break until my Cute Boyfriend birthday in September.

I had my housewarming party this weekend and it was so much fun!!! I was really happy at the turn out and my folk dance group even performed. It was great.

Meg - You rock. I'm so glad that you took it in stride because I know I would have! Since you can't see any of my muscles yet, I'm always saying, "Here! Feel my muscle!"

Kempyd - Don't you HATE when that happens. For me, it's salsa. No salsa should have sugar, yet they do all the time. You won't believe how many jars of salsa I've had to throw out because of added sugar. Like 15g!

Ilene - you keep me OP, and I'll keep you OP You can soooo do it.

Kanola - Hang it there girl!!!

Tiki - Welcome back! Happy belated birthday. Who could ask for a better birthday present than not giving up!
Old 07-14-2003, 05:05 PM   #14  
mox

Unhappy Like Tiki . . .

Hey everyone -- Like Tiki, I'm also back on the board. I've been fighting one wierd thing after another since I got back from my great vacation in May, all of which has really sapped my energy and my will power.

First, I had to suffer through a pretty nasty vaccination regime because there was a (very very very) small chance I had contracted a virus (not SARS) on my trip. The vaccine left me feeling headachy and generally out-of-sorts for a number of weeks. Chocolate became too great of a comfort!

Then, my blood pressure shot up because of these meds. I'm still working on that one.

Finally, I pinched a nerve in my back about 6 weeks ago that has left me hobbling -- my doc says no leg weights and to try to go easy on anything that puts too much pressure on my back. I've been doing the eliptical machine twice a week, but that's about it. Does anyone have any ideas -- other than Aleve -- for dealing with the pinched nerve thingy?

Historically, I've generally been pretty healthy, aside from the weight issue, so all of these health-related things have been a bit hard to take. They've really made me appreciate good health, though. I'm eager to get back to an exercise regime!

I'm really glad to see that everyone else seems to be doing well and are generally OP. Because I've been in and out of the office a lot, I haven't had a chance to spend time on the board. I hope that my schedule lightens up a bit (but I always say this . . . )

Take it easy, and I'll check in later.

Peace, Mox (down for a while, but not out of the game yet)

Old 07-14-2003, 06:23 PM   #15  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey Tiki & Mox! Nice to see you again.

Had an ok weekend myself... just ok...

JC
Closed Thread