Old 10-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 301.2/212.4/135

Height: 4'11

Wink I have diabetes and in a wheelchair

Hey, I have diabetes type 2 and wheelchair because I have cerebral palsy. I was wondering what is a good meal plan I can eat. Like right now I'm eating oatmeal, salad, wheat bread, ground beef that I get cook in the oven, Special K cereals, mashed potatoes with out butter or salt but I do mix it up with ground beef and low fat shredded cheese but I dnt eat alot. Am I doing good so far?
babygurl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #2  

Hi,

I think some more nonstarchy vegetables would be a good addition. I go to this site called www.diabeticlivingonline.com

The site is free and full of great ideas on food and everything else.

I think you could have a bit of butter on mashed potatoes once in a while.My docs tell me I can really eat most everything but just not all the time and never all at the same time.

Good luck

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #3  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I find it really important for my blood sugar maintenance for me to "eat to my meter." Basically, I'd eat a breakfast, then take my blood sugar reading 2 hours later and see where it was. If it was too high, I knew that whatever I ate had a tendency to "spike" me, and I'd avoid it. Once I found a couple breakfasts that didn't make my BG go too high, I just ate them, and went on to testing after lunch. Slowly, I built a repertoire of foods that I know I can eat that don't spike my BG.

I found that oatmeal spikes me, but a small serving (1/4 cup) of beans doesn't. That regular or wheat bread will, but high-fiber bread won't. That rice will but potatoes won't.

Each person is a little different. Your meter will tell you more than anyone can (even your doctor) about what affects your personal blood sugar.

I highly recommend the following site for information on how to eat to your meter.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

Last edited by synger; 10-20-2011 at 02:39 PM.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #4  

If I were you I would consider cutting the special K as it has a high sugar content however if your in america or something maybe it has a lower content. Its like 15 - 20% sugar in NZ
rogersgrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you have health insurance, it may cover an appointment with a diabetes educator. And if you don't have insurance, check with your local health department or United Way, as there are often free or reduced cost program.

My husband and I are both Type 2 diabetic, but our diets need to be extremely different, because I'm only on 500 mg of metformin (and my blood sugar has never exceeded 130, and on the metformin is pretty consistently under 115). My husband is on several diabetes medications (and was on insulin), and he has a harder time keeping his blood sugar within the normal range.

I follow an exchange plan. Exchange plans were originally developed for diabetics - the weight loss programs started using them.

For me, the exchange plan not only keeps my blood sugar stable, it also helps me eat a balanced diet and controls calories to help me lose weight.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote