Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #1  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Default Hard time restarting... take 2!

Since the other post was closed when it hit 500 posts, I figured I'd just start another one here. Have at it!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #2  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

Wow....over 500 posts on our last thread. We sure are a talkative group aren't we? Hoping we can add at the finish of this thread that we are all at goal and maintaining....Wouldn't that be marvelous? Not sure if I like that word, but something like that.

A coach mentioned to me today, to tell myself that wouldn't it be great to not have a New Year's resolution to lose weight? How about a New Year's resolution to be maintaining. Think I'll go with that idea. Simply marvelous. There's that word again

Speaking of dogs, I got home late last night and it was already dark. Headed out the door with the pups and a flashlight and did our walk. A little spooky walking out in the country when it is pitch black out and the coyotes are howling in the distance. Let's just say we walked rather quickly. Almost a jog by the time we got done. Also, my puggle is on a diet too. She is rather round in the middle. I keep her diet food in a closet and last night she wasn't in the room with me and I couldn't get her to come to me when I called for her. I got up and caught her inside the closet with her nose in the bag of dog food chowing down as fast as she could. Did I mention she a lot like me?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I had a post ready for the other thread too but it was locked before I posted.
Iowa, we have coyotes all around us too. Hard to convince the kitties they can't go out after 10 pm. They don't go out of our backyard with its very high fence anyway and I don't thing the cayotes would get in but you never know.
Your dog reminds me of one of our kitties. They are almost 14 so one would expect they would not be a limbre as they used to be. My daughter put a bag of dry catfood on an open shelf four feet off the floor the other evening. When I got up in the morning all the other things on the shelf garbage bags etc were knocked to the floor and the bag of food was all clawed but she couldn't open it.
How she got up there heaven knows but I guess where there is a will there is a way.

I like that idea of never having to resolve to lose weight again!

Here is what I was trying to post in response to some previous posts on the closed thread.

Rosemary I was thinking about responding to your post since yesterday as I could really relate to it.
Then I came back and it wasn't there and I thought I made it up myself because I was getting in a bit of the same funk.

But I read on and see that it actually was here.

As I said, I can so relate to what you said but wanted to tell you not to lose sight of what you have done already.
I am assuming your stats are correct? If so you have given yourself an incredible gift on the way to health. What a difference to your well being to have lost 118 pounds!
I also can relate to overcoming the carb addiction. Low carb is the only way I can lose weight, But before I always regained immediately when I came off low carb plans so I hope this works long term.

Liden thanks for asking about me. I'm here, just having a little think. I do not fit the regular IP profile, in that I'm not losing a ton of pounds a week.

This is partly due to my age (64) and partly due to my slowly working my way down from 205 pounds most of my adult life. At 5'1" that is very heavy. I have done it very slowly after I finally realized I can't handle wheat. By slowly I mean over years.
I also am not fitting the usual profile in that I am not losing sizes rapidly either. I have lost 21 pounds since beginning IP the 1st of August. I wore size 14 petite when I started IP which was down from the size 20 petite I wore a few years ago. But up to last week I could not wear size 12 petite pants comfortably. But this week the size 14 started flapping and some of the size 12 fit nicely. So I packed up all the size 14s for the Goodwill and will just keep plugging with the size12s until they all fit.
As I said I always have lost very slowly but I think I have fallen back into my bad dieting practice of cutting back too far. I think I will stick very closely to IP protocol (although I use alternatives now) until the end of November and phase off for December. That will allow me to do phase 3 during my Christmas break as have a full breakfast will be tough during my work time with my huge commute. If that doesn't help I can go back on phase 1 in January.
Going hog wild at Christmas won't be likely as we don't have many family in this area and have low key holidays.
Well enough about me!

Well this is about me too actually. Linden what is a good month to visit Hawaii? My daughter is a nurse and usually takes vacation time in January to escape part of our brutal winter. But as our brutal winter can seem like it goes on the 8 months she has some flexibility. I have always been tied to the school schedule so anytime I get off is in the most expensive travel months. She wants me to go to Hawaii with her after I retire in July. Is January a good month or are other times better?

I hope things are progressing well with the new baby's impending arrival, such an exciting time!
I hope everyone is doing well, all we can do is keep on trucking!

Pat

Last edited by patns; 11-11-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #4  

Just dropping in to say howdy & thank you to Marionm for starting a new thread... it's a great day today & tomorrow will be even better!!!..

hugs
Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #5  
Started IP 7/7/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom View Post
Wow....over 500 posts on our last thread. We sure are a talkative group aren't we? Hoping we can add at the finish of this thread that we are all at goal and maintaining....Wouldn't that be marvelous? Not sure if I like that word, but something like that.
We'd have to stop talking for me to make that goal, but I'd love to see the rest of you do that as long as you promise to come back and check on me by February/March when I hope to make my goal.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #6  

Enjoyed reading all the posts. Good luck with your weight loss journey, all!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #7  
Health vs. Madness

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 1st attempt 270/151/150

Today isw Veterans Day and my husband and I went to the downtown festivities. We live in a small community of less than 5,000 people. Well, actually we live in the country 3 miles from this small town and they had Veteran's Day things going on tonight. My grandson plays in the high school band and he was so cute. My husband is a Viet Nam vet and he always likes to go.

Pat and Iowamom - we have coyotes, too. They must live everywhere. They don't eat people though, but they do eat cats. My cat is inside and outside and she can jump our six foot fence. She jumps up to the top of the post and then down to the other side. She is 11 and I don't know how she has managed to stay alive this long.

Yea - my attitude is a lot better today. This is just a way of life. I don't have to like it, I just have to accept it. That I can do. I had a turkey burger that I chopped up onion and green pepper and grilled with portebella mushrooms. I just drizzled the mushrooms with olive oil and sea salt and grilled them, too. It was a great dinner. What we eat is very good. Have a great night, got to go and order a Great American Girl doll for my 8 year old granddaughter.

Linden - Has your baby arrived yet?
Old 11-12-2011, 02:59 AM   #8  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemary2612 View Post
Linden - Has your baby arrived yet?
NO! I thought maybe he was holding out for 11.11.11 -- smart as his father. No soap, as they say. And he's only 4 days late; but the doctor thought he'd be at least a week early. I didn't fret like this for my own child.

Iowa, that about the puggle is a scream -- the image is so vivid. Maybe not so amusing about the coyotes. or hawks, if you have them and small animals.

Marion, I'll be around. More on that latter.

Last edited by Linden; 11-12-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:17 AM   #9  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post

Liden thanks for asking about me. I'm here, just having a little think. I do not fit the regular IP profile, in that I'm not losing a ton of pounds a week.

This is partly due to my age (64) and partly due to my slowly working my way down from 205 pounds most of my adult life. At 5'1" that is very heavy. I have done it very slowly after I finally realized I can't handle wheat. By slowly I mean over years.
I also am not fitting the usual profile in that I am not losing sizes rapidly either. I have lost 21 pounds since beginning IP the 1st of August. I wore size 14 petite when I started IP which was down from the size 20 petite I wore a few years ago. But up to last week I could not wear size 12 petite pants comfortably. But this week the size 14 started flapping and some of the size 12 fit nicely. So I packed up all the size 14s for the Goodwill and will just keep plugging with the size12s until they all fit.

Well this is about me too actually. Linden what is a good month to visit Hawaii? My daughter is a nurse and usually takes vacation time in January to escape part of our brutal winter. But as our brutal winter can seem like it goes on the 8 months she has some flexibility. I have always been tied to the school schedule so anytime I get off is in the most expensive travel months. She wants me to go to Hawaii with her after I retire in July. Is January a good month or are other times better?
Pat
Hey Pat, it looks as though you had a good think. If it will help at all, here's my slow loser information. I have 4 years on you and even when I was at your start weight I'm sure I didn't fit into a size 14 petite skirt or pants. But it's hard to tell when one only wears skirts (elastic band, gored or A-line, from Chico's) all the time. Even though I've lost 20" I suspect you are smaller, i.e., thinner not just shorter. Although probably can't be sure about that about tops which are now mediums easily. We started at just about the same time, I on the 7th of September, and you've lost 2+ pounds more than I. Something definitely to be thankful for.

About when to visit Hawai'i. It really depends on which island or whether you're going to be based on the windward (mauka) or leeward (kona) side of an island. All islands have volcanic ranges running down the middle. The trade winds cross the Pacific, sometimes bring rain (always fresh air) which keeps the windward side lush. But the trade winds hit the mountains, dumping lots of water and then leave the leaward side dry, somewhat arid, with only lava rock showing for ground unless ground is cultivated and, at sea level, and watered. (Biggest rainfall is about 300" a year, way up the volcano.) This generalization applies particularly to the Big Island because, well, it's bigger. (Define bigger? 72 miles across by 112 long. NOT big, but if you added all eight of the other islands together they don't quite add up to the square miles of the Big Island.)

I Googled Hawai'ian weather to see if I remembered the exact months of the rainy season and found this: http://gohawaii.about.com/cs/tra5vel...n_to_visit.htm I checked it out and it seems quite accurate, for a generalization. Should point out that the Big Island has never taken a direct hit from a hurricane although the northern islands have been devastated. Tsunamis, earthquakes, and active volcanos are the BI speciality. Another consideration, Kauai, Maui and, especially, Oahu are often referred to as the traffic isles. Plunk a million people down on a tiny island, all going around and around which is what you do on a volcanic island, and you've got TRAFFIC. But in one way, it's cheaper to stay put on Oahu because you don't have to pay to fly to a neighboring island. But hotels on Oahu and, particularly, Maui, and Kauai, are much more expensive AND also have greater discounted seasonal prices than the leeward side of the BI. Five star hotels on the kona side of the BI are breathtakingly expensive.

When to go? November, late December, and January can be quite rainy, but not on all sides of all islands. But you WILL get rained on. Ask Woolberger. Temperatures are lower, too. 78F or a bit lower is probably the average high in winter, again depending. 82 is a lot more comfortable if you have beautiful trade winds. Honolulu is almost invariably 5 or more degrees warmer in high density areas than other cities. Personally, I'd travel In April, May, September, October again depending on where you're going. Avoid major events like spring break, the Honolulu marathon, Merrie Monarch, and the Ironman. But honestly, it's really hard to go wrong. Just remember, if it gets to 56, which it does for a few days every so often, there are no furnaces anyhere at sea level. As you go above 4,000 feet, there tends to be some kind of heat. Often wood.

Sure hope this helps. Oh, and you'll want a car if you want to sight see, unless you spend the whole time at a resort or in Honolulu. Public transportation isn't great, although there is some. And this shop is open for continued consultation.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #10  
Health vs. Madness

I want to go to Hawaii - I was there many years ago when My husband was in Viet Nam. We met in Hawaii on what they call Rest and Recuperation (R&R). We didn't rest and I don't remember the island much except that we had a hurricane while we were there. It was a small one.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #11  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

This isn't diet related but wanted to give you ladies a view of life on the farm. It's not Hawaii by any means. Darn it. Just when I thought it was safe to go outside after the coyotes the other night, I let my pups out into the garage last night for their last potty call. Before I could get to the walk thru door to let them into the fenced in area, they discovered a skunk inside of the garage. Had it cornered and all **** broke loose. Needless to say, I didn't get to bed until the wee hours of the morning since it was neccessary to bath them both.

I can't seem to get the smell out of my mouth and nose today. Might be an interesting day for eating. Right now, I can't imagine eating anything.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #12  
Started IP 7/7/2010

Quote:
This isn't diet related but wanted to give you ladies a view of life on the farm. It's not Hawaii by any means. Darn it. Just when I thought it was safe to go outside after the coyotes the other night, I let my pups out into the garage last night for their last potty call. Before I could get to the walk thru door to let them into the fenced in area, they discovered a skunk inside of the garage. Had it cornered and all **** broke loose. Needless to say, I didn't get to bed until the wee hours of the morning since it was neccessary to bath them both.

I can't seem to get the smell out of my mouth and nose today. Might be an interesting day for eating. Right now, I can't imagine eating anything.
Oh no! That's kind of makes me feel sick thinking about it. Hopefully it will go away quickly!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:

OMG!!!!

What a job!

One time I went on the back deck and threw a cold cup of coffee over and was shocked to see 3 animals scatter, our two cats and a skunk! I couldn't believe it didn't spray me. So I goggled cats and skunks and it said skunks like to hang around with cats because they like to eat small mammals and can't kill them themselves. Plus that cat food is very appealing to them.
But dogs can't resist the excitement of the hunt.
I so hope you have got the smell out but it will take a while I'm sure. As my father used to say, That will turn you off your feed!

Last edited by patns; 11-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #14  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Holy H___, as you say. It sure isn't Hawai'i. I remember complaining about a particularly repellant coffee someone was brewing in the staff lounge and said It smells like skunk. And a work study asked me What's a skunk? I was going to write more but The Computer has decided to make type about size 105 so I'm getting about 10 words on a page. Until someone can figure this out? Help!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #15  
Health vs. Madness

My empathy for your skunk situation is flying your way. So sorry -
Closed Thread