Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/142/130

Height: 5'2

Default New and looking for advice

So I just recently decided to lose the baby weight that I gained during my pregnancy and I did lose it but now I am motivated to lose more weight but I am looking for advice on how I can do so mostly from home. I have a 2 year old son with special needs and he is on life support in my home therefore I hardly have the opportunity to go to the gym. The name of workout DVD's that have actually worked for you would be great!
np1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/227/155

Height: 5'8"

I have a lot of friends suggest p90x, or others from that series.
It's a 90 day challenge, and you don't have to push as hard as they do on the videos, but if you follow along with their cardio work outs you can actually make quite a bit of progress. (I know I did. I especially liked the ab ripper x one.).

The guy in the video is funny, and adds in commentary as you do it that just makes it more enjoyable for me.
Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy View Post
I have a lot of friends suggest p90x, or others from that series.
It's a 90 day challenge, and you don't have to push as hard as they do on the videos, but if you follow along with their cardio work outs you can actually make quite a bit of progress. (I know I did. I especially liked the ab ripper x one.).

The guy in the video is funny, and adds in commentary as you do it that just makes it more enjoyable for me.
I actually ordered it and just received it today, do you have any tips on how to benefit the most from the videos for maximum fat loss? How soon did you start noticing a change and where you doing it daily? Thank you
Old 11-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/227/155

Height: 5'8"

when I started doing it, I was doing it with my little brother and his friend (Their both skinny mini's, age 15-16) and they could do a lot more than I could.. which was in some ways really motivating and in other ways it wasn't.. I wanted to be able to do push ups the normal way really bad, and after about two weeks of pushing myself on those I could really tell I had improved in that sense. As far as the physical seeing changes, it took a bit longer but they do definitely happen if you continue to work at improving.

Another way I saw good physical improvements visibly was I was following some online workouts by a girl named Zuzanna at bodyrock.tv
She posts some interval workouts that she does, shows you how to do them and they are straight out of her home. They're about a half an hour long and they were fantastic.

Last edited by Rainy; 11-09-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #5  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

First of all, I just wanted to say how sorry I am that your little one is on life support. I'm also the mom of a 2 year old, so I can't imagine the sadness and stresses that you must be faced with every day.

I haven't done it myself, but I have a couple of friends who swear by the Turbofire workout dvd's. They have seen some massive results in pretty short time.
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/196/135

Height: 5'7"

I do almost all of my workouts at home and I've actually found that for me, they're more effective than going to the gym.

For cardio, I play dance dance revolution and do the Insanity workout dvds. My heart monitor tells me I burn about 550 calories doing an hour of ddr, and around 600 calories doing an insanity workout (about 40 minutes).

I have kettlebells and dumbbells at home for strength training, though I prefer doing bodyweight exercises. For example, I usually do 4 sets of 15 push-ups, 4 sets of 7 modified diamond push-ups, 4 sets of 30 lunges (15 for each leg) and 4 sets of 20 for both sit-ups and side leg lifts. Those 5 exercises make my pecs, triceps, lats, abs, quads, hamstrings, hip flexors and butt really sore. I really only use the weights for bicep and back exercises, because I can't do pull-ups yet.
cammieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:19 AM   #7  
Super Squish

S/C/G: 290/254/170

Height: 5'

Youtube has some great Zumba videos from instructors. I have a hand full bookmarked that I go to regularly.

I have the Tae Bo DVDs, some Zumba DVDs, and some various DVDs from Wal Mart (a country dance, 2 Dancing With The Stars, kittycat Dolls DVD, and one from 'The Firm').

I also have a stationary bike in front of my television.

They're all very helpful. Good luck.
Princess Squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #8  
sun

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Hey Honey,

First off I am so sorry about your son ...hugs. I am a special needs mother as well. My dd has cerebral palsy and is a quadriplegic. So I know the stress of staying at home and caring for an ill child.

A dvd I liked was Lindsay Brin's Post Natal Bootcamp. Its quick just half an hour and its jammed packed. Or I bought a treadmill at walmart and its ,my go to workout. half an hour on the treadmill.

I also started a Nov accountability thread and you are welcome to join me in trying to stay on plan. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-s...hread-nov.html

you can do this!
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #9  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I've found some workout videos on Netflix streaming if you have that. I can't say which ones I like better since I just discovered them a couple days ago.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #10  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

P90x is a great workout DVD. I'm on week 7 and I feel stronger than I have ever been. Other great workout DVDs are the ones from Jillian Michaels. Her workouts are short (30 minutes +/-).

I am sorry about your son. I cannot imagine what you are going through.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I agree with Princess Squish - you can try out most workouts first on youtube before you actually buy them.

I don't typically work out inside at the moment, but at one point in time I did - I had a stair stepper and it was super great for working up a big sweat.... its also not as loud as a treadmill (in case you need to be quieter for your son).
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Hey Honey,

First off I am so sorry about your son ...hugs. I am a special needs mother as well. My dd has cerebral palsy and is a quadriplegic. So I know the stress of staying at home and caring for an ill child.

A dvd I liked was Lindsay Brin's Post Natal Bootcamp. Its quick just half an hour and its jammed packed. Or I bought a treadmill at walmart and its ,my go to workout. half an hour on the treadmill.

you can do this!
I am sorry to hear that .... my son has Cri du Chat syndrome along with Epilepsy, in June he stopped breathing for 10+ minutes so now he doesn't know how to regulate his body temp.

I just moved this weekend and right across from my house their is a small gym that I discovered this morning so it should be a lot easier to go to.

I will deffinately join your accountability report