Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #1  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Default Holiday Challenge

As the holiday season approaches, I don't want to gain any weight. I want to lose weight. Sort of the gift to myself. I thought perhaps I wasn't the only one out there that might feel like a good old fashioned challenge might be helpful. I'm competitive with myself to stay on plan and making it a challenge, especially acknowledging it publicly, will make me more successful.

What I'm proposing is that each day we post a short note saying whether we are successful that day (night posters) or were successful (day posters) the previous day. Doesn't matter what life style you're following, just that you've stayed on plan. I know that Turkey day I won't be in my calories but that post I just won't get a "way to go", but that I will posted that I counted my calories and posted them. Whatever way of keeping yourself accountable would work. For me, it would be posting my day's calories. For WW followers, the day's net points, for low carbers, posting the carbs. Or just saying the wagon didn't leave you in its dust. Or if it did toss you off, getting cheers for you to jump back on.

My thought is that there are lots of support threads that we get into our lives and thoughts. This would be mostly just quick posts with "atta girls" and the such.

I hope you join me as I'd not like being the only poster. I'd hate for it to be a blog. There's 89 days left till the New Year and not a pound is going to be added to my body. In fact, my pre-resolution is that pounds will be deleted.
Marie
Old 10-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

This is a great idea, Marie. To be accountable here, daily, makes a person think twice before going over your calories/points/etc., but more importantly, gives you a place to wag your own tails while OP, and a chance to encourage others while facing the holidays!

Last edited by Jane; 10-04-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Sounds good Marie
Old 10-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

10/5/11

My goal is to eat more vegetables. So far, no progress - maybe tonight. I will do better on Friday (will be finished with antibiotics at end of day, Thursday.

10/5/11

NG yesterday. Today is the last day of the antibiotic. I hope to start moving toward my goal tomorrow.

10/7/11

First day without antibiotic! Feeling good. Ate some squash and some snap peas - no gastric problems.

10/8/11

Making butternut squash; had an Amy's vegetable shepard's pie (has beans instead of beef); making a vegetable stew with a bunch of veggies.

10/9/11

Ate butternut squash - yummy.

10/10/11

Ate vegetable stew over whole wheat pasta.

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 10-10-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #5  
Lifelong Journey Member

Yesterday was a good day plan wise. Pretty much in every other way a bad day. I had a NSV when a co-worker offered me a brownie when I was so upset about a work problem. I looked at her, seriously contemplating it, and then said "No. I'm not going to eat my anger away". Pretty cool. I had 1050 calories, not including fruits and veges. My calorie limit is 1200 so I was under the goal. I think on a bad day, that is a success. And I've already ellipticalled this morning and morning cals are on track.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #6  

Yesterday was on plan for eating. I had an early court appearance so I didn't work out but I walked 2 miles at a brisk pace in the evening.

So far I am on plan with breakfast - although my blood sugar was too low to workout this morning so I ate half of a banana before. I did 60 minutes of walkitout.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #7  

On plan with eating all day yesterday, even with being in a bar for pool league. I had a chicken breast sand. (I left the bun) and a green salad. Two glasses of wine that I planned for.

No workout this morning so counting this as a rest day. My goal for the day is to push water to help with inflamation.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #8  
Lifelong Journey Member

Rie, way to go on the choices. I like the idea of chicken without the bun and planning for wine. That's my method too. Plan for the good stuff so you can enjoy it without guilt. When I'm eating off plan, I have loads of guilt. Eating on plan, like yesterday gives me no guilt when I have the planned goodie (aka mocha). I must say I feel so relieved to be eating on plan again.
Marie
Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #9  
Lifelong Journey Member

Today was a good day on plan. Stuck with my goals and enjoyed the calories I consumed.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Today was a good day on plan. Stuck with my goals and enjoyed the calories I consumed.
Marie, you can't ask for more than that!

Yesterday was good for me - walked about 45 min, had chicken and veggies for dinner and lost a pound today. I've packed a healthy lunch for today with chicken, cabbage, and celery with peanut butter.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #11  
Lifelong Journey Member

WebWoman, your dinner sounded like mine yesterday. When I realized it was too cold out to use the BBQ, I wrapped my chicken breast in foil after I'd dumped a little picante sauce on it. Then baked the foil pack in the oven. The picante flavor seeped into the meat and it was great. I will say your lunch sounds bad to me (except the chicken). Deathly allergic to peanuts and I hate celery and cabbage. Form an objective point of view, you packed a mighty healthy lunch.

And CONGRATS on losing a pound!!! Great job. I don't weigh but I know I feel better. When my clothes fit better I will post that victory.

I'm doing well so far today. I need to run to the store to buy an apple to go with my lunch since I ate the one I had for breakfast. I can tell its the end of the week and getting to be grocery time.
Marie
Old 10-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #12  

Hello Challenge friends!

HUGE workout this morning. I didn't know that I had it in me! Tee Hee

I was on plan for eating yesterday. Ds tried something new on the BBQ (we don't really care about the weather): grilled eggplant. I really enjoyed it but ds and dgs didn't. So, I put it in the soup that I am making.

I have always eaten a large green salad or a large portion of cucumbers before my meals. It fills me up and keeps me from eating calorie/carb dense foods. Getting a little tired of that so I am trying something new: I am making a big pot of soup today with "free" veggies like onions, celery, and eggplant. I am flavoring it with some beef that I will remove after cooking and I loaded it up with a bunch of the tomatoes from the garden. I am letting it cook down and then I will portion it out and freeze some. I told ds that I want to have a cup of soup before every supper to take a break from salad for a while. I figure, same concept, just different format. What do you think?

It sounds like you are both on plan. Cool on the Weight loss and the good eating. Later.

Rie
Old 10-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #13  

Hello Challengers!

On plan yesterday. I had popcorn at the movie but I planned for it and ate very sparingly. I got the soup done last night and it is wonderful!

I got in a good workout this morning despite not feeling really well.

I hope everyone is well today.

Rie
Old 10-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #14  

Just saw this and think it's a good idea as the holidays are always a difficult time for me when it comes to eating. I'm OP today. My L&G meal was 2 veggie burgers and 1 3/4 c steamed broccoli (with just a little salt...I love broccoli!). Tonight I will have two MF meals each around 100 cal/1 carb eat so I should end up just under a 1000 cal for the day.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #15  

HI. I'd like to join in.

I teach third grade. Every summer I lose about 15 pounds, and I swear I won't gain it back. But then school starts and I don't have time to go to the gym (I also have orchestra two nights a week). The weight does not come back right away, so I get complacent. Then suddenly after Christmas I am ten pounds heavier, and by the time school ends the 15 pounds are back.

I want to keep it from happening this year.

I did lose the usual 15 pounds this summer, and started school at 130 pounds. Right now I am 129.

I have joined a challenge to get down to 127 by Nov 1. My other goal is 600 minutes of cardio in October. So far I have only done 70 minutes. I started on a brisk walk early this evening and when I was about a quarter mile from home it started to rain ightly. My walk turned into a hard trot as I ran for home in the rain!

Annie in Texas
Closed Thread