Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Default I failed...I think

So, last week I posted that I was going to meet my mom & dad for a convention. Everything went great and they gushed over my weight loss...YEAH. For the first time in more than a decade, I was able to fit my mother's skinnier suits. Several of my mom's friends said I didn't look like myself.....Now the bad part.

We ate out everyday...at buffet restaurants. I did okay but not great. I only exercised one day (out of 4). I ate a light breakfast and good snacks but other than that I didn't do so good.

Back on the wagon today...I exercised this morning and feel sore already. Just had to confess. I don't know how to handle buffets. I always feel like I have to get my moneys worth.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

You didn't fail It was only a few days, your back to exercising, and you ate healty most of the time, with the exception of the buffets...Those are seriously my major weakness too.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

That isn't failing - that's succeeding. Why? because you didn't let those few days of being off plan throw you off your plan. In real life we will have up days and vacations, and special occasions. And it's OK to have those special days - we just have to temper our eating inbetween. So, be proud of yourself for getting right back to it when you could.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You can consider it failure - or you can consider it a successful diet break where you purposely ate off plan to allow your bodies hormones a little time to reset. Also, everyone should take a little time off from exercise now and then to allow your body to just rest.

How ever you want to define it - the faster you get back on track the better.

I have a heck of a time with buffets too.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #5  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Ditto on what they said. We'll have a lifetime of these occasions, so consider it practice.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 148/143/120

Height: 5'0"

I look at buffets like I'm paying for the variety of food, not the amount of it. At another restaurant I might pay $10 for a single entree w/ two sides. At the buffet for $10 I get to try several different entrees and sides (in smaller portions). I can have my favorites, as well as discover new dishes. Maybe thinking of it that way would help you too? Just a thought, for what it's worth. And I agree with the others, I think you did good. It's hard for me to splurge on one meal and eat healthy the rest of the day, but you did that with breakfast and snacks. Good for you!
untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #7  

"I look at buffets like I'm paying for the variety of food, not the amount of it."
I like that... gonna have to use it.

I usually consider all the ways in which frequently gorging myself at buffets actually will result in me losing money (not to mention health) in the long term.

I also deal with buffets by talking... a lot.
Gabriel Aidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 148/143/120

Height: 5'0"

[QUOTE=Gabriel Aidra MD;4100130]"I look at buffets like I'm paying for the variety of food, not the amount of it."
I like that... gonna have to use it.

Feel free! I grew up w/ parents & grandparents who considered it a waste of money to go to a buffet unless you ate a ton of food. I figure it's a waste if I leave feeling miserable cause I'm stuffed. I usually go through once and get a bite of everything I want to try, then maybe a second trip for a little bit more of the things I really liked. So it's as much or maybe a bit more food for the same price I'd pay someplace else. Only drawback is no leftovers versus a regular restaurant where I might be able to turn one meal into two. But on the flip side of that, if I don't like my meal at another restaurant, I've wasted my money, whereas at the buffet I can just get something different.
untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #9  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Strongly agree that this is NOT a failure. Most peopl who lose a significant amount of weight do go off plan occasionally - well, I know I do, at least, and even after all this time and all this weight, still more often than I'd like! But the measure of success isn't perfection and flawless adherence to your plan in all circumstances. Rather, it is consistency - getting right back on plan as soon as the eating opportunity that tripped you up passes.

You are remaining conscious of what you are doing and you are getting right back on track. That IS success. Just keep doing that and the weight loss will follow in time.

You may even be surprised at how forgiving your body is. You say you were "okay but not great" with controlling your eating. Think back to how you might have handled these same eating opportunities in the past, before you went on plan. You have probably eaten a lot, lot less than you would have in the past. That, too, is a success.

Be proud of yourself, learn from the experience, and above all, dust yourself off and get right back on plan.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #10  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

you didnt fail... you realized your errors. and now your learning from it. Thats wonderful! Vacations are tough on everyone it knocks you off your routine. Now you know its something you need to work on. Or make a decision to be on vacation fully. Its up to you.
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Definitely agree with the others here - you didn't fail. Life happened - this won't be the last time that something like this will come up and it likely won't be the last time you stray from your plan. That doesn't mean failure. Failure would be using it as an excuse to NOT get back on plan - but you're not doing that. You got right back on plan so it's just a little bump in the road.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:40 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/110

I hear you about the buffet problem girl!

You did SO well though, def not a failure!!!
goodbyefatness is offline   Reply With Quote