Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Default November Turkeys

Here's a new thread for the month, with apologies for the "Turkeys." Just couldn't resist it.

I don't have much new to report--I'm just continuing the tendonitis rehab and am considering deep tissue massage. The IT band and hamstring of the affected leg are both really tight. My trainer did some massage and it helped, so I might go see his massage therapist and see if that helps. The acupuncture has reduced the knee's swelling.

I'm also trying to go more paleo in my diet this month and see what that does.

I hope others are doing well.

Rhonda

Last edited by Tejas; 11-01-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Turkeys are awesome! One of my favorite things to eat. Still working out, doing my thing. I'm doing a lot of my workouts from home with a few heavy lifting at the gym. If I can talk myself into purchasing a bar and plates in the next few months while in Columbus I may actually be able to do it all at home. Really would love a dedicated space for it though. That's the largest deterrent for me right now. I've got a great spot for the kettlebells outdoors though.

Last couple of days I've been hit with the cleaning/organize life bug. Maybe it's some primitive need for winter gathering...anyway. It's a beautiful day in Fairfax and my front windows are all clean, the Halloween stuff is put away for another year. I better keep pressing on while I still have the enthusiasm for these kinds of things....may not hit again till spring.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #3  

That particular "bug" hasn't hit me, but I did put away all of the Halloween decorations as soon as the last trick or treater left the porch last night. I did really well not eating any of the treats.

Good luck on finding the space, Lydia. I've got KB, stretching, etc. space, but no really good space for bars and plates.

I've decided not to continue with personal training in the new year at the rate I am now. I've learned a lot over the last two years and may sign up for only a one hour a week session, or pay as I go. It's very expensive at two hours a week. I'd feel better if it all went right to the trainer, and not to a corporation keeping much of it.

Last edited by Tejas; 11-01-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #4  
Workin' It

I had to give up parking in the garage to have room for my workout stuff.

Rhonda, thanks for keeping this thread going!

I'm on a deload week this week - I tend to go too hard for too long, hit a wall, stop for a week, go too hard again. So I'm trying an official deload week to see if it helps me.

On the upside - I hit a PR on my squats. 160lbs. I was absolutely stunned.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Hope you guys don't mind me popping in again with a question for you

I've been having some pain/instability in my right knee. Have been RICE-ing it and doing some PT.

I'm worried about doing squats with it. Instead of real squats today I just did 5 bodyweight squats, holding in the squat position for 1 minute at a time. I feel more comfortable with this sort of static exercise rather than the dynamic up/down motion of a real squat.

Question: If done for long enough and with proper form, do these types of static/holding squats mimic the effectiveness of dynamic/real squats?

I just did as many as I could before my quads were fatigued. Would be open to suggestions/recommendations as I try to continue strengthening my quad/muscles around it without injuring my knee.

(Note: I know going to a PT would be ideal, but I live in a medium-sized city in India where sports medicine is virtually nonexistent. My appointment for pain in my ankle a few months ago was with the head of orthopedic surgery at the top hospital here and I had to ASK for a physical examination of the ankle. Ended up leaving with a prescription for a drug that is outlawed in Europe and the US... yikes. So I don't have access to sound PT advice here unfortunately!)

Thank you guys!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #6  

Indiblue, see if this site helps you:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/

My orthopedist said "if it hurts, don't do it. If you lose function, stop." And, on squats, don't go lower than 90 degrees.

I don't know how the various squats compare. Just do what you can do, and nothing that hurts. But, others might have better advice about the types of squats.

Good luck.

Last edited by Tejas; 11-04-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: corrected information
Old 11-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #7  

After months of rehab on the knee. I added deadlifts back in to my routine! I used the T bar and added 90 pounds

I'm optimistic, and love deadlifts.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Thanks Tejas! Congrats on your knee and return to deadlifts
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #9  

I think my trainer has lost his mind.

I start a new program today. Here it is:

17 exercises for warmup, activation, mobility, stretching and core.

9 exercises for strength, and they are:

Snatch, 2 sets of 10
Trap Bar deadlift: 2 sets of 10 (112 lbs.)
TRX push up: 2 sets of 12
Plate Lateral Squat: 2 sets of 10 (25 lbs.)
Push up holds: 2 sets of 8
Single-legged deadlift: 2 sets of 10
Overhead barbell pressl 2 sets of 10 (at 55 lbs.)
Squat and lift: whatever I can handle
Pull up (assisted) parallel grip: 2 sets of 10

He must want to be spending more time with me!! How will I do all that in an hour? I'll report in!

Last edited by Tejas; 11-07-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #10  

I made it through one set of the squat and lift at 25#, then had to stop.

But that's not too bad for the first day back on a "real" (non-rehab) program in about 2 months.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #11  

OK, I've done the new routine twice. I didn't finish it on Monday, but did on Thursday. All is good!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #12  
Kallos Sthenos

So uhm...how long does it take you to get through your warm up. Wow. For some people, that would probably BE their workout. Congratulations on completing the workout on Thursday. Hope you continue on the road of good health here and remain injury free....just take it easy when you need to. And roll, roll, roll, before and after. Are you feeling sore?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #13  

I've seen a T shirt that says "my warmup is your workout." I want it. I get through the pre-strength in about 20 minutes, then do the strength portion. The foam roller is my best friend. I feel sore 24 hours after a lifting session, but it's not debilitating and eases during the next 24 hours.

My knee has not hurt with the return to heavier work. I've also been having weekly acupuncture. I tap dance an hour a day four days a week, and that takes a toll also. We have a lot of performances coming up between now and Dec. 10. That will be a test!

Last edited by Tejas; 11-12-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #14  
Kallos Sthenos

That's a great t-shirt. I think I've seen that somewhere before but I can't recall where. You absolutely could wear that!

This is also great news that you haven't had recurrent problems. What an endorsement for acupuncture.

I've been kind of busy lately putting new programs together and raking leaves. It's been a beautiful fall here so it helps make the job a little easier.

I've also added a little more running into my workouts since late summer and fall. The challenge here are the hills and my neighborhood is just a constant rise and fall all around. The first time I ran just once around the perimeter of the neighborhood I was too fatigued to do much else for about an hour. Now, I can sort of run it three to four times with stops and starts but hills are getting easier. It's not something I LOVE to do though and kind of make myself do this at least once a week.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #15  

Raking leaves I know all about that. There are about 15 oak trees on my lawn. It's an endless task.

I wish I could run, Lydia. It just feels so free. Of course, that's when you're not having to look for stones, depressions in the course, etc.

I've got pain in the scapular area. I think it's from the OH presses and my chronic neck issue (C5-6 degeneration). I might have to do fewer of those for a while. Ibuphropen helps but I prefer not to take much of anything.