Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/220/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Protein Options HELP!

Hello! I have a huge list of allergies and im trying to come upwith some protein options that won't land me in the hospital. All of the things that im NOT allergic to seem to be really high in fat or expensive. I can't have any kind of nut, soy, beans, peas, (legumes) or dairy. Right now i eat alot of eggs and i can't afford boneless skinless chicken breasts. I can't have deli meat due to my fibromyalgia (the processed stuff causes way to many issues). Is ground beef my only option??? I went and bough some pork chops but i could only afford 4 and that lasted me and my husband about 2 days. I feel very stuck. Any advice???
SaraJane24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:23 AM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Hmmm..have you tried rice protein? you can get rice protein shakes..and egg protein shakes.. what about fish? like tuna? and salmon? thats high in protein? ground turkey?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

What about broccoli and spinach? Those are loaded with protein.

Seitan could be a decent option too.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 262/220/175

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the ideas! I will look into all of those! I don't know why but i never thought of canned tuna, thats cheep! fantastic thanks guys!
SaraJane24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

You can also get canned chicken (never tried it). Ground chicken, ground turkey - chicken and turkey bacon. Canadian bacon is also relatively low in calories and high in protein - least the stuff I picked up at Costco was.

What about getting a pre-cooked chicken? I pick them up at Costco for $7.50 and can usually feed the two of us - plus the dog - two or three meals. I also use the cooked chicken in a lot of recipes that called for pre-cooked chicken, saves me a lot of time. Some grocery stores will even sell yesterday's cooked chicken for $1-2 off - just had to reheat or add to your cooking.

Thrifty foods (I see you are in BC too) often have reduced meat because it is close to it's date. Just take it home and freeze it right away if you are not going to use it that night.

I am not sure what kind of budget you are on so sorry if some of my suggestions are too much.

As for chicken breasts, you can also buying them with skin and bones and remove the skin yourself.

This sounds expensive but overtime it is not - sometimes I picked up a box of frozen chicken boneless skinless chicken breast at Costco, I think it is $30 for the box but you get a lot of them in there. They are not that great on their own but perfect for adding to recipes. A box probably lasts me a few months - but I don't use them everyday.

I buy a lot of my meat at Costco - sorry if that is not an option for you, it is expensive to buy it but it lasts me forever.

Last edited by sotypical; 11-02-2011 at 01:33 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

greek yogurt, fish, protein shakes. chicken thighs aren't too bad and are usually cheaper than the chicken breasts.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

turkey! also, tuna and salmon canned isn't too expensive and loaded with protein. I also drink protein shakes to make sure I do get enough protein in my diet when I work out.
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote