Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 09:26 AM   #1  

Default Friday~ July 11

Hello everyone! It's a breezey cool morning here in Wisconsin, with the wind out of the north. I've been spending a lot of time researching the South Beach diet. It looks interesting and doable. Am waiting for the book as I ordered it used on Amazon.
Am not going to start for a bit as Roger and I are doing some traveling this next week.

While wandering around the forums and reading up on the SBD, I realized that there are still a lot of familiar "faces" after all these years. Pretty soon, there is going to have to be a retirement forum for us oldies. My, time does fly when we're having fun!

Am tired this morning as we stayed up later than usual last night. Roger had still another church meeting and it got ugly. He was so angry ! And he doesn't get angry, so you can just imagine how bad it was. To make a long story short, we're dealing with a retiring pastor and his wife who are not "playing with a full deck". I strongly believe that Pastor is suffering from depression and his wife is using that as a way to control him. She is very controlling and manipulative. It's a bad scene and hopefully they will fold their tent and fade into the sunset soon.

Have a good weekend everyone...
Old 07-11-2003, 09:46 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hey Tippy,

Good to see everyone lately and its good to see the boards active again.

Well I got stopped by 2 cops (at the same time) this morning.... YUP ! First time in 20 years. He said I was tail gating, which I was, everyone was going 25 mph in a 40 mph zone, and I was just following along not thinking it was bad. Well he didn't give me a 5 pt. ticket THANK GOD !!! but warned me and humbled me real fast

I wasn't embarassed for what I did, I was more embarassed by the fact that I got caught... OY !

Have a great weekend everyone !!

Hugs, Leenie
Old 07-11-2003, 09:47 AM   #3  

Just another Friday here. It is going to be a scorcher but I am thankful that I work inside.

I have been doing good this week with my Body Rx book and I fell like I am able to eat lots of things I like so I might actually get through this one.

Tip where are you guys going to travel to? I was just telling DH last night that we need to head to the east coast soon. We always go to the beach and that is fun but I think we need to see more things.

to all to come.

Leenie you snuck in. Hello to you too!
Old 07-11-2003, 11:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

good morning everyone...

Tippy, I'm really interested in that South Beach approach too. I've been doing Atkins for 2 months, and I am really missing the fruit and other things. I feel so much better, though.

I guess I should buy a book and do some reading on it. I remember years ago, in 1978, Weight Watchers had a great program that makes me think of South Beach (at least what I've heard of SB). I lost 44 pounds like no one's business on that program... 3-4 oz protein at lunch; 4-6 at supper.. two "bread" servings per day and none to be used at supper... and there were 3 vegetable lists... one was "free"; one was limited to 1/2 cup of any ONE veggie on the list; and one was "bread" exchanges. I wish I still had that old book.

Anyway, I'm in serious trouble.. I recognize the signs, and I think it's safer I switch than hop off the wagon here.

Leens, I'm so glad you never got ticketed. I keep waiting to be caught for speeding. I'm on the highway every day with my job, and I have a lead foot even with cruise control. That old song "I Can't Drive 55" comes to mind for me. Seriously... hub and I used to race dirt track modifieds... I have a bit of a competitive edge.

Kempy, is Body RX like a limited carb program? If nothing else over the years of up/down/up/up/up.. I've learned that carbs are what I really have to be careful with... double whammy when you suffer from SAD.

Hope everyone has a great day. Daughter got home from her national judo competition in the wee small hours of the morning.. we have today to run errands and tomorrow to get her laundry done and repack as she's off to a music camp on Sunday for a week.

~ bye
Old 07-11-2003, 12:08 PM   #5  

JM you can have a certian amount of carbs based on your weight. I really like the book though. It makes sence to me. I recommend looking into it. It is an eay read. On another thread that I am on a few of the women have done very well with it.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:13 PM   #6  

Good morning

It is a beautiful morning here....I am still having withdrawal effects from going off the Effexor. The last 2 days my eyeballs have been sore....DH said take them out & put them in a glass of water....lol!!!!....had trouble going to sleep last night & my face was beet red for about 3 hours in the evening yesterday.

Anyway....just checking in....going to go have coffee with DH on the deck now......see you later.

April
Old 07-11-2003, 12:53 PM   #7  

Talking What a lazy week we have had!

I slept in until 1030 this morning! Yikes........it has been a lazy week....I didn't work at all and I slept in almost every morning...other that I ran the girls around a bit......

Today I will do some housework, take some pics at swimming and maybe do a bit of work in the garden.

I work days Sat and Sun. Hubby is off with the girls.

We are selling our denali so my dd5 cried all afternoon yesterday......"It was such a good truck" So now we will have to go shopping for something new.

Well have a good day everyone........Klondike days start here pretty soon....and there are lots of events and festivals going on.

Bye for now!

Eliz
Old 07-11-2003, 02:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Default Good Afternoon Chickadees!

Hey there gang!

So good to see all the posts! I had to do payroll this morning and its been busy.

Tip, so good to hear from you girlie! cool and breezy huh? what in the world is that? lol The South Beach Diet is sounding interesting but I know very little about it. Wonder how much it is like Sugarbusters??? I am so sorry that things are difficult at church. Difficult people sure can make it difficult to do God's Work. I hope everything works out - try to keep everybody focused on the Lord - I know that is easier said then done when times are hard. ;-)

Leens, I don't know anybody that likes going 25 in a 40 ;-) don't ya just hate it when ya get caught. If you are like me, you don't get away with much. ;-)

Kemp? is it raining over there this afternoon? it is hot and humid over here too (of course) but now it has started raining so not quite so hot, just real steamy! I'd like to hear about Body Rx too. I never heard of it til you mentioned it.

Judomom - aren't teenagers a hoot, especially in the summer! they barely stop long enough to get their clothes washed before they are off again! I think I have to be real careful with carbs too - I know they make me hungry for sure!

April - wish I was sitting out on that deck drinking coffee or tea or cappucino with you - that sounds like fun! sore eyeballs doesn't sound like any fun at all! yikes!

Liz - I'm glad to hear that you are sleeping in and relaxing some this week. Everybody needs to do that sometimes and you certainly need a break more then most. :-)

I went to Walmart after work yesterday and bought Leslie Sansone's new 4 mile walk on dvd that takes 60 minutes to do. I am so excited (silly I know) but I am anxious to do it, just don't know when in the world I am gonna find an hour to walk. I have a busy weekend ahead of me with getting my youngest son to and from driver's ed several times and helping my mother with my grandmother, but I will let yall know just as soon as I tackle that 4 mile walk. :-)

hugs,
cathy
Old 07-11-2003, 02:39 PM   #9  

does anyone here take phentermine and an anti-depressant?
Old 07-11-2003, 04:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Hi amber, I don't but I have a friend that does. She was taking both pills in the morning and found they were counteracting each other out, so the doc had her start taking the phentermine in the morning and the anti depressant at night and she says it works fine like that.

I have taken phentermine in the past and I find it makes me very nervous. It does curb my appetite at first, but then I seem to get use to it. But I've never taken an anti depressant so I've never combined the 2.

hope this helps in some way

cathy
Old 07-12-2003, 01:44 AM   #11  

hi again

It has been really hot here today....but we don't have much humidity....so that is good.

I went shopping this afternoon....it was nice being in the stores....they are cool.....I even wore my shorts....I don't usually wear them away from the house....but it was so hot. Do any of you wear shorts to go shopping?....just wondering. These shorts are just a few inches above my knees.

I am going to read now....before I go to sleep.....One eyeball has been hurting for the last 4 hours....I too some Benadryl....I think it has helped....hopefully it will make me to be drowsy...so I can go to sleep....have been having trouble going to sleep since I went off the Effexor a week ago.

I have a question about shopping....it seems about every month or 2.....I just have to go look in the stores.....I don't usually buy much.....but I take my time & look at things....do any of you do that?

April
Old 07-12-2003, 04:04 AM   #12  

Guess it's actually Saturday morning now...seems I'm always a little off once I find computer time.

Had a depressing day today. Couldn't sleep due to the heat last night and my tooth was aching from a root canal, so was too tired and depressed to go to work today, which isn't good. I did see my therapist today, which always helps, but she will be gone all next week on vacation. She usually calls me at least once while she's gone, but I told her she really didn't have to because she'll be with her whole family and new grandson...but she said she wants to. She is so sweet.

Talked to my almost ex for awhile tonight. We talked about a lot of things. I told him how much I miss him as a husband and my best friend for the past 31 years. He says he misses me too, but doesn't think it can work out. I didn't even know there were problems until he filed for divorce in January. So I've spent most the night crying and trying to stay away from the ice cream, which I've done so far! I have to spend the day over at the house tomorrow going through my stuff so we can put the house up for sale...I'm not looking forward to that at all. We've live in that house for 16 years, and it's about the only place the boys remember, so it's sad.

Monday is when I plan to get back to Curves and start counting calories. I can't use this divorce as an excuse to get fatter and ruin my health! I guess I kind of want to show hubby that I can survive without him, whether it's true or not!

Hope you all have a nice weekend!
Old 07-12-2003, 08:46 AM   #13  

Angry Hang in there Keatherwood!

I Really admire how hard you are working at this! Please hang in there and keep doing what you are doing.....a lot of people could not be as honest about things as you are being.......hope you are feeling better today and that things aren't too rough at the house!

Eliz
Old 07-12-2003, 01:47 PM   #14  

Keatherwood

I feel so bad for you....about your divorce....did I miss something....why are you getting a divorce? I see it was your husband who wants the divorce.

The counsellor I saw last winter told me....don't make any decisions when you are in a depression....it's funny...or not.....it seemed to happen that when I was in a depression.....I wanted to leave my DH of 38 years......many times...she told me that when woman are in a depression they want to flee....when I feel good I don't feel that way....my DH has been so good to me through all this.

But with you it is the opposite.....he is getting the divorce...so hang in there....maybe try not to buy the ice cream...then it won't be there to tempt you.

April
Old 07-12-2003, 04:10 PM   #15  

If I didn't make decisions while depressed, I'd never be able to make one...I've had severe chronic depression since I was a child...but I know what you mean. I have times when I'm better, and times when the depression is really bad. Luckily I have been seeing the same therapist for 12 years and see her twice daily, so I can run things by her, and she can help me sort things out when I'm really down.

Nope, I didn't want this divorce...in fact never saw it coming. We will have been married 26 years next month and dated for 5 years before that, so I've been with him for 31 years. He has stuck with me through infertility (we were able to adopt 2 boys), years of being hospitalized due to abuse/mental health issues, etc...and has been wonderful. We never really fight and had never discussed divorce. I have finally been doing much better. Went back to school and got my BA plus an advance paralegal certificate, starting working 2 years ago, etc....life was looking better. We are having problems with our 2 sons..17 and 20. The older one has some disabilities, but has decided he can't do anything, which isn't true. He isn't working, doesn't drive, has been in and out of drug treatment, etc. He is living with my husband. The 17-year-old is a senior this year...he will actually graduate early in December...but he is also an alcoholic and struggling with that...he is living with me. But things were still looking better. Then on Januaray 13th...when I was in the middle of a very deep depression...he said he had filed for divorce and within 2 weeks I had moved into an apartment. I've never lived alone before, paid bills, anything. So it's been rough. The divorce isn't final yet as we are still going back and forth on how much he has to pay me each month, and for how long. He makes about 5x's what I do. So...I've been doing a lot of late night pity eating. Of course I say I'm buying the ice cream, etc...for my son. But he can always drive to the store if he wants something, so I know it's just an excuse!
Closed Thread