Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #1  
Amazing will be me

Default Does Your Gym make you want to scream sometimes???

Well ive had a bout a 3 week gap had some stuff going on and started back this week and im finding it terribly tedious. Not so much the gym........but its the flippin radio station they play its not very loud and the songs are repeated and not to mention the adverts it so flattens my motivation n i cant stop thinking i cant wait to get outa here.

So never used to feel that way but its soo hard to get motivated when slow songs are playing through the radio, they also have TVs which constantly have news 24 with subtitles. Its really starting to irritate me as it never changes.

I know the answer is ..........Buy an MP3 player ............which i am going to do.

Just feeling really un motivated but scraping through it day by day lol
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

Height: 5'6

Know what annoys me? Gym clients who plant their butt on the ONE machine of its kind in the place -- and check their iPhone for 15 minutes!! Or chat with a friend on the adjacent machine (also the only machines of their kind) and jabber away without using the machines. Or guys who set their towel/bag/water on the ONLY other weight bench! Aaaaaargh! OK, now I feel better.
crimsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #3  
fake it till you make IT!

S/C/G: 312/264/199

Height: 5'6

Ever think about going to the classes they offer there? WHEN I 1st joined the gym I would go in the mornings to walk on the treadmill and, while, I did have my mp3 player, i got bored so quickly, then I started going to the aerobics, spin and zumba classes & they are wayyy better!! Its loud upbeat dance music playing the entire time, a bunch of people around you doing it with you, so you feel accounted for, & its different every-time. You also burn double the amount of calories doing a high intense activity for a shorter amount of time then walking on the treadmill at steady pace for an hour. That gave me more motivation to keep going too!
You should check into that I think you'll like it.
tinkerbelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #4  
Amazing will be me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelll View Post
Ever think about going to the classes they offer there? WHEN I 1st joined the gym I would go in the mornings to walk on the treadmill and, while, I did have my mp3 player, i got bored so quickly, then I started going to the aerobics, spin and zumba classes & they are wayyy better!! Its loud upbeat dance music playing the entire time, a bunch of people around you doing it with you, so you feel accounted for, & its different every-time. You also burn double the amount of calories doing a high intense activity for a shorter amount of time then walking on the treadmill at steady pace for an hour. That gave me more motivation to keep going too!
You should check into that I think you'll like it.
yeah hun think im going to try out a spinning class this wee so fingers crossed it gives me more motivation
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/133/145

Height: 5'4

I just got back from the gym and what annoys and disgust me......is when women get on the elliptical or arc trainer next to me and talk NON STOP for the whole 30 -40 minutes they are on that dang machine......I want to scream to SHUT up this is my "me"time and no matter how loud I have my mp3 player can still hear the mindless chatter.

And when people do NOT wipe down their machines......ICK!!!!! sooooo gross
kat618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #6  

Height: 5'2"

Talking really loudly bothers me too. There are a couple of women in my early morning spin class who won't be quiet and get louder when the music gets louder. The instructor gets after them but they still do it. Very very annoying. Other than that, I highly recommend spinning. Burns so many calories.
Ladybug10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/160/130

Height: 5' 6"

Ah, a handful of the many reasons I do all of my fitness at home. I abhor gyms because I have very low tolerance for chatty/annoying people.
joltyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 249/241/175

Height: 5'7"

And when people do NOT wipe down their machines......ICK!!!!! sooooo gross

I'm with Kat618 - that's my pet peeve. I sweat too much to use my ipad. Last time I tried it, it fell out of my ears about 40 times. But I definitely wipe off my machine.
BuffJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Heavy perfume on someone at the gym. I don't normally get asthma, but a heavy scent will give me a temporary asthma attack. I don't understand why anyone would wear their perfume/cologne so heavy, but some do.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #10  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10 View Post
Talking really loudly bothers me too. There are a couple of women in my early morning spin class who won't be quiet and get louder when the music gets louder. The instructor gets after them but they still do it. Very very annoying. Other than that, I highly recommend spinning. Burns so many calories.
Never been to spinning but are they spinning hard enough if they still can chat? I doubt it.
I workout at home because I can't stand gyms and their people. When I workout I can barely talk, definitely not chat. It's all in the intensity of the workout.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:13 AM   #11  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsons View Post
Know what annoys me? Gym clients who plant their butt on the ONE machine of its kind in the place -- and check their iPhone for 15 minutes!! Or chat with a friend on the adjacent machine (also the only machines of their kind) and jabber away without using the machines.
THIS. Really, the weight machines aren't there for lounging; you can't have your 15 minute conversation standing up instead? And then there are the people who take a 5 minute rest between each of their 20 second sets. And the guys who get on one weight machine and use it continuously for 20 minutes. Argh. It's part of why I prefer going to gym late at night - fewer people to be annoyed by! LOL.

lucky8, if you're looking for an inexpensive mp3 player, I'd highly recommend the ipod shuffle 2GB. It's tiny, clips right on to your clothes, and costs about $50. It's perfect for workouts.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #12  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I admit I was never a gym person till I got over myself and my "everyone's staring" mentality and just sucked it up and went. And by "sucked it up," I mean my treadmill died in the middle of doing C25K in August 2010 and so I decided to actually use the membership to the fancy pants gym I'd gotten subsidized through work.

I'm not a fan of people whose friends accompany them to the gym but don't work out and instead follow them around to chat. It weirds me out when you stand that close to me and the treadmill I'm working on just so you can talk to your friend for his WHOLE workout on the next treadmill over. I can't get into the zone, when you're WELL within touching distance, something about that whole personal space bubble.

Also treadmill-related, friends who get on treadmills/ellipticals on either side of you and talk over your head. Even with earphones in, it's distracting and makes me want to offer to switch with one of you.

Also people who after their workouts feel the need to engage in gratuitous, butt/crotch-thrusting stretching/yoga poses with accompanying loud grunting sounds in the middle of the gym floor, directly in front of the ellipticals. Ok good for you and your excellent workout but there ARE less conspicuous areas for stretching. I stretch too but I don't feel like it has to be an invitation to bounce a quarter of my bum/marvel at my ability to fold into a pretzel with my throaty growls.

People who sing along with their music. I don't mean under their breaths either. I mean, off-key, loud, panting singing. The type of wailing that makes you take out your earphones out of concern that someone may be severely injured. I'm glad you're enjoying your workout and your music, but it's weird!

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 11-05-2011 at 08:04 PM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #13  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

You think the news is bad.. they play the FOOD NETWORK on one of the TVs at my gym. It probably doesn't help that I normally go right before dinner time either.
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote