Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default elliptical and weight loss

I wanted to try something different then my recumbent bike so I pulled the elliptical out. I can ride the bike for 60 minutes on level 6 (built up to that) but was only able to do about 20 minutes on the elliptical. I thought I was in better shape.
Has anyone used and elliptical and lost weight? I am watching what I eat and also looking into a heart rate monitor to make sure I am within target and calories burnt.
I get discouraged easily as I am a slow loser. I know that is suppose to be good, but I like to see results for what I am doing.. Little support at home which doesnt help, so I need to keep myself motivated. I want to do the dirtygirl mud run next year which is a 5k run with obstacles in the mud.
any suggestions? motivating words?
mgruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #2  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 213/195/150

Height: 5'9''

My motto is, as long as you are moving your body, whatever the exercise, that is a good thing! I used an elliptical machine as my main exercise machine when I was in college, and I lost 15 lbs in a summer.
Jessica Committed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165.9/ticker/100

Height: 4"10

I love the elliptical machine. You can definitely loss weight using it. The most important thing is to use something that suits you and you feel comfortable with.
puzzledpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

The fact that you were not able to do the elliptical for as long as the bike makes me think that it's more of a challenge and more of a challenge for your body would make me think that you're burning more calories (per minute, not necessarily overall), which should boost your weight loss efforts. I think it's great if you can mix it up and keep your body guessing....at least that tends to work for me. I have used the elliptical throughout my weightless journey (along with calorie counting) and I really love it because it's low impact on my bones/muscles/joints but is still intense. That said, I also want to mention that I do other forms of exercise and keep active throughout the day as much as I can.

The fact that you're challenging yourself is really great! Don't give up! If you find that all this effort is not yielding visible results then maybe you could examine your diet. Just a thought. Everyone's different so I hope I didn't come off as preachy or anything.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

The elliptical is a burner! Remember though, it is not weight baring and you will still want to hit the pavement, even if it is just to walk. Good luckand enjoy the journey.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Bellamack, can you please explain why it's important to hit the pavement? I do walk a lot but I think it's good in the sense that I'm just active as possible throughout the day....not from a weight baring perspective. I also do some weight lifting. Thank you.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #7  

For me the elliptical machine is the best. You are training all of your muscles while you are on it + it's fun. And if you want results you should do an interval training. Just try it for sometime with normal speed and then go faster for a while... until your hearth rate gets up. Then, again slowdown for a while and when you're ready try harder again. This way you are not bored with your workout and you'll get your results faster. You might start with 30 minutes and then just start adding more minutes when you get used to it.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #8  

Thanks for the replies. Today I did 20 min on the elliptical and then 20 minutes on the bike. I will keep changing it up and working up my endurance on the elliptical. I am watching input more and more and trying to cut back.

Its hard for me to hit the pavement daily as I live in the country with no sidewalks or streetlights. I use to go out at 5am and when I got home, but its pretty dark out there now. I use to use a flashlight, still scary. I do outside walking etc on weekends during the day.

Its an uphill battle, but I am determined this time. Its 45 pounds.. I can do this... little by little. I tell myself even if the weight doesnt come off, at least I will be healthier.. but I will not give up!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

For me, the elliptical doesn't translate to other exercises, i.e. running ^_^. I think it's a good exercise to rotate into your exercise regimen once a week (easy on the joints) but I don't ever really finish it feeling like I've gotten a good workout.

Regarding weight loss, it doesn't matter what exercise you do- it matters how hard you work. If you are eating reduced calories (fewer calories than your body needs every day) that's what will help you lose weight. Exercise is 'icing on the cake' (pardon the poor metaphor )- it helps you burn a few extra calories on top of the deficit you are creating by eating less.

In other words, weight loss doesn't hinge on exercise- it hinges in diet. Exercise is fabulous but really make sure your diet is in check first and foremost.

I also live in a country with no sidewalks and few streetlights- eek! It's hard staying in shape here. Way to go on your determination. Don't be discouraged if you are a slow loser- there are lots of us here! Good luck
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 219 / 180 / 119 - update

Height: 5'2

Lost 45 pounds by using the Elliptical !
letsgethealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

Height: 5'6

If you crank the elliptical up high enough (my target heart rate = 140) then it's a very good workout for weight loss. Running is the best IMO, but until I'm a little lighter, the elliptical is much easier on my knees and bouncy front-flab. When I hit 125 I'll go back to running. But if you don't get your heart rate up, it's a pretty mild workout.
crimsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #12  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Heyy!! I've lost all of my weight so far on the elliptical.

I don't own any other workout machine nor do I have a gym membership, so yeah, I'm in love with it. As hard as it is, the hour I spend on it has been working out for me.

Good luck!
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 AM   #13  

You look AMAZING!! You looked great before weight loss. I agree I wouldnt go to 135. MY current goal is 140, but I am also large frame so I reevaluate once the weight comes off.

I just ordered a bodybugg so I can see what I am actually burning

thanks