Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #1  

Default How Can I Get My Girlfriend To Lose Weight

Hello everyone. I want to get my girlfriend to lose weight because I'm afraid she is going to develop health problems. I need a woman's perspective on this. I love my girlfriend and don't want nothing happening to her. Please don't tell me things like I can't change her and all that. I know I can't change people but I know there must be a way to do it. So tell me what ways would you think would work best.
confusedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #2  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

You can't. She'll do it if and when she's ready. Leave her alone and love her unconditionally.

BTW This is probably not going to end well.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #3  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

it's not your job to get her to lose weight. she will decide when she's ready and you telling her to might hinder the process.

if you begin to be focused on your health, it might bring her to look at her own health too.
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #4  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedman View Post
Hello everyone. I want to get my girlfriend to lose weight because I'm afraid she is going to develop health problems. I need a woman's perspective on this. I love my girlfriend and don't want nothing happening to her. Please don't tell me things like I can't change her and all that. I know I can't change people but I know there must be a way to do it. So tell me what ways would you think would work best.
You can't change her. You can talk to her and set a positive example, but in order for a person to change, the person has to be ready.

Have you shared your concerns with her?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

Dude... this post is forum suicide.
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

There is no way this can be real.

You know you can't change her but there must be a way to get her to lose weight? Seriously?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #7  

Thanks for the responses everyone. You are all right.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #8  

@JohnP I'm saying like what can I say to her to inspire her or something like that so that she can change it
Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #9  
Striving to be better

S/C/G: 313/218/160

I have been on my weightloss journey since june. My husband is very overweight and until recently has refused to eat healthy. We would eat two completely different meals. Now, it is different. This happened because I have never mentioned anything like dieting to him. I just kept on my merry way of exercise and eating right. One day I told him I really needed a workout partner would he help me out. Slowly we started to do fun workout things like walking orshooting hoops. As time passed I changed slowly the types of foods he ate. Baked instead of fried and I never made enough food for seconds. As he saw a change in his body he decided to workout more with me. Subtle but it worked.
Pag0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

The best and only thing you can do is be a great example. Cook and eat healthy foods and encourage her to join you. Go for a walk or play a sport and encourage her to join you. If you make her feel like it's all about losing weight she's going to resent you and get defensive. I understand wanting your gf to be healthy, and I don't think you should be criticized for that. Just know that telling her she needs to lose weight and nagging her about it are not going to work.
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #11  

Yea I dont want her thinking anything bad. I love her just the way she looks. Shes my angel . But Its going to break my heart to see her develop a preventable disease. But if that happens I will be there to love her and support her. Hopefully it never goes to that
Old 10-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

How bout printing off this thread and showing it to her? Radical but ...
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #13  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

has she mentioned a desire to lose weight to you? if she's not interested it's not gonna happen. she has to want it. and your mission - if she decides she wants to lose weight - is to support her, encourage her, and cheer her on.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

If I were you, I would inspire her. When you are with her, choose healthy foods. Eat what you would want her to eat. Do you excercize at all? Why not invite her on long walks or ask her to start jogging with you because YOU want some support, etc.

I think healthy habits are contagious. I know it is in my household. My husband has slowly started eating very healthy over the past 6 years. We both inspire each other to make better decisions. When I want to pig out and I see him eating a lean turkey burger with veggies, it makes me second guess my choices. He is a good role model for me, and I am to him as well.

My husband has never once come out and told me I should lose weight. It would of BROKEN my heart if he did. But he knows I've been trying to lose weight for the past 4 years. Him saying anything would of been like pouring salt into a fresh wound.
The best thing he did, even though he didn't need to lose any weight, was inspire me through his own actions.
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #15  
No description available.

Aww, confused, I feel like we've all been a little tough on you. We get this question often, and sometimes it's not motivated by love and caring.

You seem to care a lot about your girlfriend and are in it for the long haul. Stick around here for lots of great food and exercise ideas. Do you cook for her?

Continue to love her but also know that she may decide to change on her own. Set positive examples. Try not to judge her. Hang in there.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote