Old 10-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/183/117

Height: 5'4"

Red face does zumba work?

Can you really lose weight and get in better shape with zumba? And how hard is to follow along too? I don't want to spend 55 dollars on something that isn't worth it.
My therapist suggested it. she says she is in better shape now after just two weeks. All advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
blueice10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1''

I do zumba classes at the ymca. I really like it. I will say if you're taking classes try different teachers to find one you like. i felt silly at first but it's fun and you sweat a lot. I would say just try it. I know some people have zumba videos but I've never done one.
teacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 212/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2"

I've been wondering the same thing myself. My sister-in-laws mother goes to classes and she said it's so much fun. I'm not too concerned with the fun factor. I just want to know if it works.
jamber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/142/130

Height: 5'2

I started doing Zumba on Oct 17 and weighed myself yesterday, I started out weighing 165.6 lbs and yesterday I was 153.4 lbs. I was doing it 5-6x per week for the hour long but I had to stop for 4 days and those 4 days I had to eat fast food all meals. So it definately works but the extent that it works is how much you dedicate yourself to it and how much effort you put in to the workouts. I would use ankle and wrist weights after a week or two just to keep the intensity a little higher.
np1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 157/137/135

Height: 5'5

I've been doing the DVDs for a few weeks now and I love them. I prefer the classes since they seem to be a little different and more upbeat because of the energy in them, but the DVDs are pretty great. If you don't like dancing, then they probably aren't for you.

It does come with a "basics" that breaks down the moves step-by-step. It was too slow for me so I just jumped right in and I learn as I go. I'm pretty sure I look like an idiot, but I have fun. I wear my heart rate monitor and I burn almost as many calories doing the Cardio Party as I did when I was going Insanity, but I have more fun.

As far as results, I've noticed some tone and some inches have come off. I do strength training and HIIT, and then do Zumba as well. To me, it was worth the money.
kittysae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/147/135

Height: 5'4''

Zumba is great! It may take a while to pick up on all the stos and routines but just remember that everyone there started at the same place you are! A lot of places in my area let you pay per class so there is no commitment really. I would try researching different places that offer them individually. You'll grow to love it, even if you've never danced before! Such a great way to switch your workouts.
LSUgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #7  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

i do Zumba at the Y, too. Ditto to people saying try different instructors. You may love hip-hop an someone else may love salsa or indian-style dancing. It varies a lot, so keep trying until you find the style you like.

That being said....ZUMBA rocks!!! I am a complete addict now. The best part, for me, is that it can be as challenging as you want it to be. It's up to you how high you jump, how low you dip, etc. You can do the same routine 6 months apart and it will be totally different with output.

Also, if you really give it your all, Zumba is great for toning.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #8  
Candi

S/C/G: 307/304/200

Height: 6'0"

I LOVE ZUMBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fell (not in zumba) and had to quit because I bruised some ribs pretty bad. It is one of two exercises that I have ever broken a sweat doing and totally enjoyed every minute of it. I suggest you give it a try. I felt really good after every class and am looking forward to getting back into class. It is considered exercise and I believe you can lose weight doing it. My instructor is young and gives the moves for all levels (beginnger, intermediate, advanced). Spend the $55 and get it moving.
Candi44 is offline   Reply With Quote