Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/134.8/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Outdoor runners - pants?

I am looking to move my exercise outside but it's getting colder.

I've been looking around online and I see all sorts of pants and tights geared to cold weather, outdoor running/ walking from a multitude of manufacturers.

I am looking for tights, full length, that would be appropriate for weather from 20 - 50 degrees and that do a good job of not holding moisture on/ near the skin.

Any recommendations for ones that are particularly good?

Thanks.
jessper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #2  

I just came back from a resale shop in my area. I did see a lot of lined outerwear for jogging.

But my club just installed a new treadmill and elliptical.
So I am not going to buy any lined jogging suits.
But I am also curious as to what are the good brands.

I've finally lost 52 pounds. And it took me only 4 years to do it!
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #3  

Any of the proper athletic brands will be okay (so, not the Target or Walmart version of athletic wear). You'll need wicking for sure; whether you'll need wind protection depends on weather.

IME you're not looking at one pair of pants or tights to go from 50 to 20, though--that's too big a temp range for any one garment. (For me, personally, midweight tights are fine from freezing to around mid-40s, when I move into shorts or lightweight tights.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #4  

Thanks. I'm definitely looking to move up from just that Target stuff - working out in the gym, it hasn't really mattered much. Going to head to the big sporting goods store this afternoon to poke around but it sounds like I'll be wanting two different pairs, be they tights or something else for the lighter stuff!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #5  

IMO you can separate the tights vs. pants decision from the "which ones" decision-- both tights and pants come in a range of weights and you can go with whatever feels best to you.

Something it occurs to me that I should have mentioned earlier (sorry) is that if you're choosing tights, specifically, pay attention to how you feel about zippers at the ankle. They always irritate me, but most tights have them. I learned this one the hard way.

Another worth-mentioning-- you may be surprised how much perceived warmth a pair of wicking undies (Moving Comfort is the brand I see most often) adds.

Let us know what you find!
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #6  

Thanks for the info - I did get one lighter pair for non-extreme cold - and they do have zippers but I didn't even realize they were there until I took them off. Very comfy and the zips were flat but flexible. I'm contemplating a second, heavier pair, too - they have sort of a very small fleece lining on the inside for when it's colder. Going to see how the first pair works out and then if need be, go for the other ones.

Thanks again!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/187/150

Height: 5'6"

I have a set of nike cold gear top and full length tights that are really great. I tend to use them when it gets to 40 or so and have been comfortable in snow, <10 degrees
lobon is offline   Reply With Quote