General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #1  

Default Halloween Costumes

What is the deal with the makers of Halloween Costumes?! I mean come on...America is NOT full of thin people. We have real sizes, lumps, bumps and soft places so why are most of these stores filled with outfits that fit only the super skinny and why are they so slutty looking?! Even the "plus size" ones required a women with a real body to dress like their smaller counterpart and yes I get it, there are some women who don't care but I do. Any hello their "plus size" is a freaking joke. Someone needs to teach someone to measure right and another thing just because you add on a few extra inches of fabric doesn't make it okay to jack up the price.
So can you tell I went looking for a costume today?
Okay let me add this: If I could get away with it I would wear the tiny slutty costumes but since I can't I am just going to whine about it LMAO

Last edited by WinterCricket; 10-21-2011 at 08:56 PM.
WinterCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Well, first the plus size thing. Seems costumes and patterns are the only things that haven't gone supersized or taken up the trend with vanity sizing. It's confusing because you would expect a plus size to be for 14W and up, but really, it's more like what 'used' to be 14W and up that is today's 10-12.

Next, the slutty stuff. Yep. Tis true. I tried to find a bo peep costume as wer are going as characters from Toy Story and most bo peep costumes are slutty ones - bo peep?

That's why I make all our costumes. Much easier that way and you can be more creative.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The only costumes you can easily find in non-slutty form are witches.

Seriously, I HATE the fact that costumes, even those marketed to girls and tweens, have skirts up to, well, you know where. And there is no need, ever, to have anyone dress up as "Sexy Candy Corn" (seen it).

Here's a great example. When you get a picture in your head of "Little Bo Peep", what do you think of? Something like this, right?

Here's the "child" version of that costume:

And then, the adult:

This makes me more mad than I can say, and usually inspires a rant each Halloween, so I will be quiet for now. I have a standard, full length, with sleeves witchy outfit I wear every year, just so I don't have to go and get all fired up about this while I contemplate the wall of short skirts and thigh highs.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #4  
Run, run, run!

S/C/G: 204/160/???

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Well, first the plus size thing. Seems costumes and patterns are the only things that haven't gone supersized or taken up the trend with vanity sizing. It's confusing because you would expect a plus size to be for 14W and up, but really, it's more like what 'used' to be 14W and up that is today's 10-12.
It's true. I sew a lot and sizes run more to the UK or 'traditional' sizing, no vanity sizing in the sewing pattern department! It makes me feel huge. I much prefer going to Ricki's where I'm a size 6, but in what world am I a size 6?! LOL
PrairieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #5  
Determined

Location: Initial goal was 150ish. Kept adjusting down to 135. Recently set new goal to 125! BMI Normal Weight!

S/C/G: 185.5 / 132 / 125

Height: 5 feet exactly

Exactly!!

I stopped wearing halloween costumes as an early teen. Now as an adult, I find I need one for workplace parties every year (for the past 2 years).

I do fit into these sizes now... and, I feel like I can wear something slightly sexy. BUT-these clothes are way way way too far. No matter what my weight, I could be a model, perfect everything, and I still would never want to show my butt to everyone! How is this okay? Literally, I have tried this stuff on, and one false move, and there is a peep show for all to see!! Not to mention there is NOTHING work appropriate, and if I had kids, what kind of example would I be setting for them by wearing one of these outfits?

I know these outfits should exist, for ladies who LIKE to show their butts, or feel comfortable being a little "showy" sometimes. But shouldn't there also be an option for the rest of us who like clothing a little more "modest"...

Thank you!!! I thought I was the only one who gets so annoyed by this!! I wouldn't have worn this stuff as a tiny teenager. Can I pay extra for some more fabric to cover my butt please?!!? (for reference, see mandalinn's Adult Bo Peep!)
whiteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

That "child's" Bo-peep costume is sick! I can not believe that anyone would put that on there child. Soooo bad.

Oh and was laughing at the "Sexy Candy Corn"

How come nobody makes costumes anymore? When I was a kid I only wore homemade costumes and my mom was a full time working single mom who was not crafty (didn't really sew or have a sewing machine) One year I was Little Bo-Pepp and my sister was the sheep. For my costume my mom found a blue dress with puffy sleeves at a second hand store and sewed a wide ribbon around the waist. Stitched some ribbon on a straw hat and pulled the sides down and tied it under my chin so it looked like a bonnet, then she tied a ribbon on my dad's shillelagh and put white stockings and shoes on me! i loved that costume

Oh and for my sisters sheep costume she took a white pillow case and cut a hole in the end for her head and one on each side for her arms, she then glued cotton balls all over it. I can't remember how she made that head piece but it was like a baby bonnet that she tied ribbons around the corners to look like ears and glued cotton balls on it. she then put her in white leggings and long sleeve shirt with black shoes and gloves. She looked so cute and she was only about 3 or so
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I didn't make up the sexy candy corn, by the way:

and the variation, the "candy corn witch":

mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #8  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I can't sew, and I don't have a sewing machine, anyway. It's sad because my mom made all of our costumes when my brother and I were little. I wish I knew how to do that.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #9  

I am so glad I'm not the only one here! All my kids are teenagers so they wouldn't let me try and make them a costume if I paid them. Use to make them all the time. For me, this is the first time I have wore a costume in 14 years lol I guess I was more than naive thinking I could just run into party city. So I just purchased some pieces here and there and put it together...I guess I shouldn't have waited till the night before huh? My girlfriend is getting married and it's a Halloween themed...how cool is that?
As for the type of costumes they are marking towards kids! I'm with you all...it's disturbing. I was looking on the one wall till I notice it was for juniors. Why does a pre teen need a sexy kitty outift?
If I could have found the sexy candy corn outfit I might have tried it out hehehe
I was about 2 seconds away from cutting some holes in my sheets and going old school!
Edit to add: The party city commercial came on and I saw a corn outfit..it was on a little girl but I saw it lol

Last edited by WinterCricket; 10-21-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #10  

This is reminded me, one year my mother (I got her crafty DNA) was having a hard time putting something together for my little sister. Finally she pulled out the box of Halloween stuff and started slapping stuff together, putting it on her and sent her to the school party as a "what cha ma call it" and did you know she won first place? Now that is what I miss in costumes... originality!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #11  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I noticed that the majority of costumes for women are the "sexy" variety. It's one of the reasons I've made my own costume this year. I've always done this as when I was plus size I needed a costume that properly fit me and now that I'm in regular sizes most of the options are just...revealing!

No thanks, I'll keep making my own.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

If you like Ren Faire or steampunk style attire, you can buy the pieces of a costume that looks more elegant than slutty (not that slutty is hard to find, just that there are non-slutty options). I know it's late in the game, and you can't just walk into a costume shop and pick one up cheap, but whenever I go to a costume party, I reuse a Ren Faire or stumpunk outfit that I've put together (by which I mean, bought the component, not made myself) during the year. You can probably find complete outfits as well, but I like searching for individual pieces.

Last edited by yoyoma; 10-22-2011 at 09:19 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

That candy corn outfit really takes the cake! Thanks for including the photo; I certainly believed you, but could not get a mental image.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #14  
Run, run, run!

S/C/G: 204/160/???

Height: 5'4"

Making costumes is so fun! I made this Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp style) last year with things I found at a thrift store. I made the hat from scratch though. I got way more attention when we went out than the girls in the slutty costumes (even at that size, probably 175lbs).

I also put together a zombie bride costume. Zombies are easy to do and a good way to destroy some old clothes that don't fit anymore so you don't go trying to wear them again!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hatter.jpg (15.9 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by PrairieGirl; 10-22-2011 at 11:25 AM.
PrairieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #15  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I don't think I've ever in my life bought an actual Halloween costume for myself. I really, really want a Star Trek uniform (yes, yes, I'm a geek) but I found a place that will make them to your measurements on ebay and am waiting to hit my goal first before I order one. Then I'll probably just go with that ever year.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote