Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/173/130

Height: 5'0"

Default Leg Exercises for Weak Knees?

Hi everyone,

I sustained a medial knee injury earlier this year while hiking, so I've been rather hesitant to put too much pressure on them. I took some time off from doing too much leg work for a few months, I guess just hoping that it would help the knee muscle heal.

I've always enjoyed doing exercises that incorporate body weight and/or weights while moving. Often in the past I would do squats (traditional, plie, box, summo), lunges, and wall sits. However, when I recently started incorporating a few of these into my workout again, I found that these exercises are still causing a bit too much strain on the inner part of my knee. This is pretty upsetting for me because quads are actually one of my favorite muscles to work out, but I don't want to further mess up my knees either.

I would love to get some suggestions of exercises that aren't too hard on the knees but still give the quad/glutes a decent workout, preferably that don't require a machine since I don't currently belong to a gym.

I would also appreciate any tips/suggestions on strengthening the knee and muscles around it as well.
willowtree27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 7''

Why not go see a physio and get it professionally seen to? I had an operation after tearing my cruciate, lateral and medial ligaments 3 months ago and have found my physio invaluable.

If money is an issue then go see a physio once and see what they recommend, then do it yourself...
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 329/178/165

Height: 5'6"

Gaiam has a good DVD called "Strong Knees" that teaches safe exercises & stretches to strengthen your knees. It's very informational. I'd look for it at the library or rent it -- I think Netflix has it.

Knees are my weakest link, and I wanted to start running, so I went to a trainer and that has been a great help. She really helped me correct my form so I was strengthening rather than injuring myself.

Be well!
Selkie1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I was going to suggest wall-sits, but I see that you've already been doing those.
Really it would be best to consult with a physical therapist.
In some states you don't need a doctors referral to see one.

Also, injuries take alot of time to heal. I've had a shoulder injury for over a year now. It's better, but I still can't do things that I was doing pre-injury.

Consider going to a PT for advice.
Good luck
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Physical therapist! Seriously, after my knee surgery, they helped me to tighten up what needed to be tightened so that my knees had the support they needed to allow me to work into full lower body workouts. I can't recommend a good physical therapist enough when it comes to working through an injury.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Physical therapist! Seriously, after my knee surgery, they helped me to tighten up what needed to be tightened so that my knees had the support they needed to allow me to work into full lower body workouts. I can't recommend a good physical therapist enough when it comes to working through an injury.
Double Ditto the Therapist, worth every penny... A PT helped with my shoulder injury also and when I feel it getting weak again I just do the exercises he recommended and I feel fine...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #7  
KakeJ

S/C/G: 295/195/175

Height: 5'91/2"

I sustained a medial knee injury earlier this year while hiking, so I've been rather hesitant to put too much pressure on them. I took some time off from doing too much leg work for a few months, I guess just hoping that it would help the knee muscle heal.

I am biased of course since I work as a PT. But you need to avoid impact for a few months and isolate and strenghten the muscles around the medial ligament or is it the medial meniscus? You did't specify. Ligaments are not muscles, nor is the meniscus. If you haven't been seen by an orthopedic, please do so, let them send you to a physical therapist based on the diagnosis. Noone on this site can advise on excercises or what you are feeling without a full diagnosis. Please see the Orthopedic.
kakeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeJ View Post

I am biased of course since I work as a PT. But you need to avoid impact for a few months and isolate and strenghten the muscles around the medial ligament or is it the medial meniscus? You did't specify. Ligaments are not muscles, nor is the meniscus. If you haven't been seen by an orthopedic, please do so, let them send you to a physical therapist based on the diagnosis. Noone on this site can advise on excercises or what you are feeling without a full diagnosis. Please see the Orthopedic.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote