South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #1  

Default Almond Meal/Flour?

I'm wondering what you guys think of almond meal/flour on phase 1. I made pancakes with it yesterday AND today, sooo good! I'm ready to eat that for the rest of phase one considering eggs are yuck to me.

So in each recipe of pancakes it's 1 1/2 cup almond meal, I eat about 1/3 of what it makes - so thats me eating about 1/2 a cup of it. Would you say thats too much nut serving for a day? I'm eating it with turkey sausage, some SF syrup and a glass of milk then don't have any nuts for the rest of the day. My fiancee eats the other 2/3 of the pancakes then likes to have peanuts for a snack later.
boriqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #2  

Hi! I'm big on the almond meal pancakes From just my own experience though (others may have had different experiences) and I am on P2... I make them twice a week and my portion is about a little over 1/4 cup of the almond meal. I get about two decent size pancakes from that. I wont have any other nut servings the day I have the pancakes though and I am steadily continuing to lose approximately 3 pounds a week! Hope this helps!
anilom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

According to the SBD rules, anything that's powdered down to a flour is a no-no on Phase 1, but that doesn't make any sense at all to me. A nut is a nut is a nut. I'd go ahead and have the flour, especially as long as it's not causing any cravings for you. However, I do think 1/2 cup of it is a bit much for a serving. Try cutting it back to 1/3 of a cup, and see if that is still satisfying.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #4  

Thank you guys! I will definitely cut down the amount in the recipe!
Old 10-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #5  
I think I can...

I saw some recipes calling for almond meal I got so excited I ran right out to whole foods and spent the $10 (gasp) then I read the book lol. It definitely says no flours even those made from nuts on phase 1. I did bread a piece of fish with it on Friday though. I say closely monitor your weight and see if it triggers any cravings and if you're good then stick with it.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #6  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I think that is a great idea to cut back some of it... I wonder if you could puree some white beans and add to the mix to bulk it up a bit... a half cup of almond flour will have about 40g of fat based on bob's red mill brand... I know we don't really look at nutrition individually on this plan but I would say that is way too much for a serving of anything...
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #7  

I have some almond meal to use from tj's..can you give me your pancake recipe??
thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriqua View Post
I'm wondering what you guys think of almond meal/flour on phase 1. I made pancakes with it yesterday AND today, sooo good! I'm ready to eat that for the rest of phase one considering eggs are yuck to me.

So in each recipe of pancakes it's 1 1/2 cup almond meal, I eat about 1/3 of what it makes - so thats me eating about 1/2 a cup of it. Would you say thats too much nut serving for a day? I'm eating it with turkey sausage, some SF syrup and a glass of milk then don't have any nuts for the rest of the day. My fiancee eats the other 2/3 of the pancakes then likes to have peanuts for a snack later.
momtotwinzplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #8  

Yeah, I read somewhere they recommend no flours to cut down cravings on bready items. I feel like I'm doing okay on cravings so I'll keep using the almond meal - I feel like I can't get through a whole week of breakfast otherwise! I just can't do eggs too often, not my favorite!

And wow! 40 grams is alot! I hadn't even looked at the back of the bag! I lost 5 lbs on my first week of ph 1, so I'm okay with it, but I did cut down the amount I was using for pancakes.

And here is the recipe! Was kinda hard to get used to because of the grainy-ness, but I just told myself it was a mixture of cornbread and pancakes (I'm weird about texture!)

2 eggs beaten
1 1/2 cup almond meal/flour (this is the original recipe, I've cut it down a bit)
1/4-1/3 cup water (I'm at high altitude so it might differ for you)
2 packets splenda (not sure how much that is)
1 Tbs vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Mix together, should be the consistency of apple sauce. Let sit for 10 minutes in hopes the almond flour will soften up. Spoon onto hot griddle (I grease with a little Smart Balance) and cook until small bubbles appear and stay in middle of pancake. Flip, finish cooking, and enjoy! I use a little bit of sugar free maple syrup on top with turkey bacon.

I make pancakes often and find it's better if you cook these at a slightly lower temp then regular pancakes, because it takes a little longer for these to cook through.

These saved my Phase 1! Enjoy!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #9  

Thank you for the recipe!
momtotwinzplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #10  

You're welcome! Hope it helps you out like it helped me!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #11  
I think I can...

I have Bob's brand it actually has 14g per 1/4 cup. 40g you could just have cake lol.
I'm going to try these tomorrow.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote