Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #1  
No excuses, No regrets.

S/C/G: 278/190/175

Height: 5'9

Default Meal Planning for Singles?!

I am *attempting* to get a little more organized in my life...(bahaha, we shall see how long this lasts... ) But I would really like to start doing weekly meal planning (if not 2 week plans or month long.. whatever really) my mom did it when I was younger and it made things way easier. I just really am bad when it comes to shopping. I get a ton of stuff i dont need and forget what i do. So if I started planning I would be forced to make a list and forced to cook. (instead of going out or eating just random stuff)

My issue? Its just me! All the meal plans I find are for big families... or if they are made for a couple they seem to be either really expensive ingredients or super unhealthy. Does anyone know of a website or a book that is about HEALTHY meal plans for "sad single folks" such as myself?? (btw, that was a joke.. I'm single but very NOT sad about it. ha) I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just *real* cooked meals.

Thanks!!
La Vie Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/146.6/129

Height: 5'5

i live alone too... i'm not sure if you're working or in school, but I am in school, and so I tend to make a meal for 2 or 4 so I can have lunches or leftovers during the week. I really like Ellie Krieger's recipes from the food network (you can google her stuff). She is a registered dietitian and cooks with pretty "normal" ingredients that aren't too pricey. Otherwise, I have a subscription to the Cooking Light magazine where I post-it recipes I like, shop for those meals once before the week, and then stick to it (or try)!

Good luck!
lisa130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #3  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

i say keep it simple. oftentimes the things they make on tv have too many ingredients and are not feasible for the normal person.
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #4  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I like Ellie Krieger, as well. I try to spend one morning of the weekend watching the Food Network, and then I google the recipes and see what I can substitute in/out to make for simpler/lower-calorie cooking.

I cook in bulk and invest in good tupperware. Yes, most recipes are for 4+ - doesn't mean you can't just make it all and then freeze it for the week. Sundays I wake up early, go to the gym, then treat myself to breakfast. Usually during breakfast I go through cook books, find recipes that would save well. Crock-pot recipes are the best, and you can usually just google for them. Then I make a list, grocery shop, and before I start my homework, throw everything into the crock pot and 6 hours later I'm done, I just have to portion everything out.

I usually make 2 different dishes for the week - one for lunch, one for dinner, and then I usually mix it up. Chili is my favorite because it's filling and I can make it a little different each week, depending on the spices and beans that I use.

I've even started making breakfast in bulk (my own version of egg mcmuffins) so that I literally just have to grab my lunch bag in the morning and I'm ready.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #5  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

try the taste of home website (www.tasteofhome.com). they have lots of easy recipes, a variety of dietary needs sections, and even some 'cooking for 2' meals to minimize leftovers. and when you select recipes to add to your recipe box, you can create a grocery list for the items you're going to make... the list even tells you what department to find it in.

i'd say invest in some cheapy food storage and freeze leftovers. i did that when i was single and didn't know how to cook for less than 4 people. i've seen them with divided compartments so you can put two items in there. home made frozen meals are infinitely better for you than frozen meals out of a box. i found this worked really well with casserole style dishes.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #6  
Reducing

S/C/G: 161.4/143.0/130.0

Height: 5'3"

I'm also cooking for one. Usually at the beginning of the week I figure out how many nights I'm going to be eating at home and then on Sunday or Monday make a big one pot meal with enough portions for the week, and then divide it up so I have all my meals ready, and it helps with portion control.

I don't use many recipes, but my formula is some sort of carb-y base (whole wheat noodles, Israeli couscous, or grains like barley or quinoa) add some sort of protein (ground turkey, chicken sausage, beans) and a whole bunch of vegetables. It usually stores and reheats well. This week I did a Mexican barely risotto with jalapeno chicken sausage, zucchini, onions, and butternut squash topped with Mexican cheese blend.

When I do use recipes I've had good luck with stuff from the Weight Watchers website, and my go-to's are the New Best Recipe cookbook, and Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. Neither one are specifically geared towards healthy eating, but it's easy to make substitutions and cut down on oil where necessary and they're great to have around to reference.
Ms GenghisCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I also make soups/chilis and freeze them in individual one-cup containers so I can grab and go for lunch or dinner.

I make spicy beans, different curries, etc and portion those out and freeze. When I'm ready to eat them, I cook an individual portion of instant brown rice to add to it.

Burritos are great - I use low cal/high fiber wraps and make 6-8 burritos (usually chicken/bean sometimes rice, veggies) add my measured cheese, then I wrap and freeze on a sheet pan. This way you can take all of them once they're frozen and put them into a big ziploc bag in the freezer.

I make zucchini/turkey meatballs, freeze them on a sheet pan, then when they're frozen, I put them in a bag so I can grab the amount of frozen meatballs that I want.

When I make casseroles, I make the full amount and freeze. When they're almost completely frozen (four hours or so), I cut them into the right number of servings and put them in a baggie in the freezer.

It's easy because then I have a lot of meals and I can just grab which one I want. I only need to cook 2 meals or so on the weekends and I just keep rotating them.

Oh, and my favorite recipe spot is http://www.skinnytaste.com

Last edited by Munchy; 10-12-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

I echo the "freeze stuff" suggestion... Just be sure to label everything with a date otherwise you end up with a freezer full of mystery meals (It's like food roulette: Hmmm, is this apple pie or beef?)

I'm not very good at this, though. It does take some time and effort at first, but gets easier once you get the hang of it (from what I remember back when I used to do it a few years ago...)
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

do you have any favorite meats, veggies, fruits, etc? usually i just end up using the stuff i know i like to eat, like eggplant, spinach, and sausage. if you have spices and condiments, it helps liven up your dishes some . eggplant can be grilled, baked, sauteed, and the same goes for a whole bunch of other ingredients! so even though you eat the same foods, you're eating them a whole new way, which makes life less boring. you can try google recipes, just put in the ingredients you have and google will spit out recipes that fit your ingredients! i also agree with what other ppl said about freezing your extras-- also means you have less cooking to do later on =).
abejune23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:38 AM   #10  
No excuses, No regrets.

S/C/G: 278/190/175

Height: 5'9

You guys are rock stars!!! Thank you so much for all the advice. I'm def going to do the make and freeze thing... now to figure out what to make! haha. I have a few things I want to reply back to specific people and ask questions but I am about to drop dead-I am SO TIRED! So, I will get back on tomorrow and do that when I am more awake.

Thanks again!

Xoxo
La Vie
La Vie Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

One of the best things about being single and cooking is you don't have to worry about a picky boyfriend or kids!

Chili with lots of veggies is always easy and stores nicely for a week.

I've also been the roasted vegetable queen as of lately. You can basically roast any vegetable and bring out its amazing natural flavors - and it is super simple. Just cut up the vegetable, spray it with oil (natural), salt it, and bake it for 30 - 45 min on 400. Even if you get home late, you can just pop the veggies and even a protein (like salmon in tin foil) in the oven while you shower and then its finished and super healthy.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #12  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unna View Post
One of the best things about being single and cooking is you don't have to worry about a picky boyfriend or kids!
Oh my god YES. I can eat whatever I want (and whenever I want). I love it.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 239/see ticker/110

Height: 4ft 11inches

i agree with them above just because its for 4+ doesnt mean you cant cook it and freeze it or refrigerate it for lunch or leftovers or whatever.... or you could always cut the recipes in half.... use half of everything in the recipe that narrows it down to 2 culd be lunch and dinner for you... check out kraft.ca you can type in 3 ingredients you have in the house and it will give you a list of recipes to make... you have healthy living recipes as well on the website.... and again if its for many just cut it in half. good luck
candice1022 is offline   Reply With Quote