Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 06:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default July Bootcamp Challenge

Come on in! This thread is not for the faint of heart. This challenge thread is for those who want to make a commitment to setting goals, formulating plans to achieve those goals, and just plain work your butt off!

Set the goals of your choice. Pick a diet plan of your choice. Pick the exercise of your choice. Pick the method of accountability of your choice whether its a food journal, personal coach or Fitday.

Its a fact that if your set your goals, make a personal commitment to achieving those goals, and are personally acountable each day, you will be much closer to achieving what you want than if you just flounder through unfocused on a daily basis.

That's what this thread is all about. Its about being focused and leaving all the personal stuff at the door. No whining, no griping, no negative stuff. Bad days happen and in boot camp we just pick ourselves up and move on.

State your goals and how you're going to achieve these goals and lets be able to post positive results on July 31st.

Be realistic as this will be a short challenge.

And let's HAVE FUN!
Old 07-06-2003, 07:05 PM   #2  

Here's my goals:

1. Break past the 250 barrier. (I'm at 255 today)
2. Improve my cardio endurance to 45 minutes on the bike/airdyne/spinner or doing the 3 mile WATP (this is in addition to the 1.5 mile dog walk as I consider it his exercise)

Here's my strategy:
1. WW with a South Beach twist.
2. Journal faithfully and measure out portions for accuracy.
3. Plan each weeks menu and food lists.
4. Avoid the salty peanuts.

For the week:
I will go back on SBD phase 1 for the first four days of the week with the exception of shredded wheat, milk and a small fruit at breakfast. I just can't see another egg for a week.

I will either ride my bike (heat permitting) or the spinner for 30 minutes twice this week and do the airdyne for 25 mintues twice this week.

I will get in the mornings and do my upper body with the 8 lb weights twice this week and once with the 5 pound weights.

Old 07-06-2003, 07:45 PM   #3  

Hi Terri...way to go with starting the new thread. I am all for it.

My "short term" challenge goals are to
1. Kick my butt past the 180 mark. I have been stuck at 183 for a couple of weeks now.

2. Pick up the pace on my weights and resistance training. Aerobic activity is way okay, but I have been slacking off on the other and it is showing.

3. Get serious again. I am at a plateau because I am taking in more calories than I am expending, plain and simple.

I have picked up a new book by Jim Karas called "Flip the Switch" and it has been filling me with motivation and new ideas. This is not as hard as we make it sometimes. Eat it, burn it and lose it!!
Old 07-07-2003, 09:56 AM   #4  
this time I mean it!!!

S/C/G: 355/336.2/190

Height: 5' 8"

Smile Great Idea!

Terri - the new thread is a great idea, and I like the thought of a monthly challenge too.

So here are my goals for July:

Lose 10 pounds - that would make me 290 at the end of the month.
Food - 1650 cal - 60% carb, 20% protien, 20% fat (based on the evil trainer's food plan).
Water - 160 oz/daily
Cardio - 4x week
Trainer - this is a tough month with he and I both out of town for almost 2 weeks - I'll just take this one as it comes.

The big goal - I'm spending 5 days in LA next week, my goal is to watch/log what I eat and do my cardio daily. I've already found a 24 Hour fitness in the area.

Here's to a successful July Bootcamp!

psm
Old 07-07-2003, 04:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Can I join? I have a birthday coming up on July 29 and I want to break the 140 mark and hopefully be 139 by my b-day (currently 146). I am working very hard to lose & shape up as I'm getting married on Maui on October 25th.

Here's my plan...

1. Daily exercise (45 to 60 minutes) alternating cardio and strength training
2. Yoga at least once per week (in addition to above exercise)
3. Ice skating at least once per week (in addition to above exercise)
4. Eating small, frequent lower-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian meals
5. Drinking lots of water

I'm also using FitDay. So far today I've completed 45 minutes of strength training (I did The Firm Tough Tape 2 DVD workout) and here's what I've eaten so far today...

6:30am - 2 hard boiled eggs with 1 Tbs shredded cheddar and a glass of V8
8:00am - 12oz glass of non-fat milk
11:00am - handfull of peanuts
12:00pm - small green salad topped with cottage cheese & roasted bell peppers
Old 07-07-2003, 06:23 PM   #6  
this time I mean it!!!

Talking Welcome Genesis!

And Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

psm
Old 07-07-2003, 07:16 PM   #7  

So far, so good....well okay, it's only been one day, but what the heck.

Food was good today, did the aerobics thing this a.m. and will be working with free weights tonight. I will be doing the upper body tonight, and the lower body at the gym tomorrow.

Welcome Genesis. Sounds to me like you are doing great so far. Nothing like a wedding in Maui to keep the motivation going.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:00 PM   #8  

Hi Genesis! Welcome to the group! Looks like a great plan and great goals for everyone.

I just finished 31 kick-a$$ minutes on the spinner with my Johnny G video. I wasn't sure if I could make it that long - but woohoo, almost to the end!. No more spinning while watching Friends.

Food has been good today so, so far so good here too!

Let's kick booty this month. We ROCK!

Old 07-08-2003, 12:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome! Unfortunately I slept through my alarm this morning & missed my usual morning workout, but I am going ice skating this evening so I guess I'll just count that as my daily exercise. I usually skate for an hour and a half so I figure that's good enough. My legs are so sore today from yesterday's strength workout! No pain no gain!

Here's a link to my FitDay journal: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=Tiny%5FD

Last edited by Genesis; 07-08-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:29 PM   #10  
The ever shrinking woman!

my goal is so small compared to some others, but still my goal nonetheless

I want to be under 120 pounds, I am only 5'4", and I just prefer to try to stay at the low end of my healthy weight range. SO, I need to lose 4-5 more, and instead over the 4th I gained a few I think...

I NEED to work out at least 3 times a week, and I need to STAY AWAY FROM CHOCOLATE AND ICE CREAM , hahah!

so yeah, by the end of July, I want 122 or lower if possible. My goal is by the end of August which I think is pretty reasonable. I had SO much motivation when I started dieting at 165 pounds, and I need to get that back, somehow.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:31 PM   #11  
this time I mean it!!!

Talking Monday....

Had a really good monday! Did well on the food, water, did my cardio, AND worked with the evil trainer!

Plan for today - same as yesterday, except no evil trainer.

psm
Old 07-08-2003, 08:10 PM   #12  

Tonya, don't worry about your goal being smaller than others. We all want to be our best, and yours is no different than anyone elses. Congrats on the loss so far....awsome!!

Went to the gym today and did lower body. Even tried some machines that I had never tried before. Actually, I am feeling a new sense of renewal, after being down for a few weeks. Just one of those cycles I guess. My new book is helping and is reminding me of what my goals were and that I can attain them.

Off to my muscle conditioning class tomorrow which is usually BRUTAL, but gets easier each time I go. Wish me luck!!
Old 07-08-2003, 09:34 PM   #13  

Hi Tonya,

Welcome to the group. As Simcoe said, it doesn't matter how big or how small your goals are. Its all about becoming more fit and healthier.

Today was another good food day. I've been logging it into Fitday - wow, that's time consuming - but it helps to know the mix of what we're eating. I did 35 killer minutes again on the spinner. I'll be going for our walk here pretty quick.

I won't be able to post tomorrow night. Keep up all the great work.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:41 AM   #14  
this time I mean it!!!

Angry Tuesday

Did pretty well yesterday, only it was so hot here I couldn't force myself to go and do my cardio. Did VERY well on food and water tho!

Welcome Tonya!

Hope you all have a great (and not so very HOT) Wednesday!

psm
Old 07-09-2003, 09:47 AM   #15  
Hardcore UFOs

Hi there everyone,

Would it be OK if I jumped in a little late? I like that this group is a little more "cozy", and you seem like nice folks!

After a couple months of maintaining a 50+ pound loss, I've gained almost 20 pounds in about a month's time! (Scary!) I used to come here regularly and I'm happy to be back... the support here is amazing.

Anyway, I'm pulling up the old bootstraps and nipping this in the bud (well, it's pretty much bloomed now, I guess). I started back up again on Monday, full force, and I'm happy to say that it's been going well, and fairly easy. I guess I just need to remind myself how much better I felt when I am eating healthfully and exercising regularly. I still want to lose at least another 50 pounds, beyond that I'll see how I feel.

So: my starting weight on Monday was 275. By the end of the month, I'd like to see 260. I know that seems like a lot to lose in a short time, but I know my body and I'm pretty confident that these "new" pounds will come off pretty quickly if I do all the right things.

I haven't started exercising regularly again yet. I'm going to try to get at least one session in by the end of the week, and from there on out, exercise at least 3x a week. I work out with aerobics tapes as well as Pilates and weight routines.

As far as food stuff goes, I keep track on FitDay and try to keep it at around 1500 cals a day, 30% fat, 20% protein and 50% carbs.

Good luck to everyone! I look forward to getting to know you better!

Amy
Closed Thread