General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Steve Jobs has passed away

I saw this last night but wanted to share with you chickies. The personal computer wouldn't be where it is today without Steve Jobs. His ideas and innovations have influenced us all in some manner.

Mac rumors has a great write-up with links too various articles and quotes from lots of people.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/05/...s-passed-away/

Apple's website announces the sad news that Apple co-founder and former CEO Steve Jobs has passed away. Jobs was 56 years old, and had been struggling with complications related to pancreatic cancer over the past several years. Apple leaves the following message on their website in tribute to Jobs:
Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.

If you would like to share your thoughts, memories and condolences, please email [email protected]

Apple's board of directors released this statement:
We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today.

Steve’s brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.

His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts.
From Robert Scoble: "Flags half staff at Apple headquarters. Sad day in Cupertino."

Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Speech, where he addresses his mortality. An inspiring speech, excerpt from Observer.com.
No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Statements and Reactions

Steve Jobs' family has issued a statement:
Steve died peacefully today surrounded by his family.

In his public life, Steve was known as a visionary; in his private life, he cherished his family. We are thankful to the many people who have shared their wishes and prayers during the last year of Steve's illness; a website will be provided for those who wish to offer tributes and memories.

We are grateful for the support and kindness of those who share our feelings for Steve. We know many of you will mourn with us, and we ask that you respect our privacy during our time of grief.

Tim Cook
Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.

We are planning a celebration of Steve’s extraordinary life for Apple employees that will take place soon. If you would like to share your thoughts, memories and condolences in the interim, you can simply email [email protected].

No words can adequately express our sadness at Steve’s death or our gratitude for the opportunity to work with him. We will honor his memory by dedicating ourselves to continuing the work he loved so much.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Laurene and his children during this difficult time.

President Barack Obama
Michelle and I are saddened to learn of the passing of Steve Jobs. Steve was among the greatest of American innovators - brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it.

By building one of the planet’s most successful companies from his garage, he exemplified the spirit of American ingenuity. By making computers personal and putting the internet in our pockets, he made the information revolution not only accessible, but intuitive and fun. And by turning his talents to storytelling, he has brought joy to millions of children and grownups alike. Steve was fond of saying that he lived every day like it was his last. Because he did, he transformed our lives, redefined entire industries, and achieved one of the rarest feats in human history: he changed the way each of us sees the world.

The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve’s success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented. Michelle and I send our thoughts and prayers to Steve’s wife Laurene, his family, and all those who loved him.

Microsoft Cofounder Bill Gates
I’m truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs’ death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.

Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives.

The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come.

For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it’s been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely.

Warren Buffett
He was one of the most remarkable business managers and innovators in american business history.

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg
Steve, thank you for being a mentor and a friend. Thanks for showing that what you build can change the world. I will miss you.

Disney President Bob Iger
Steve Jobs was a great friend as well as a trusted advisor. His legacy will extend far beyond the products he created or the businesses he built. It will be the millions of people he inspired, the lives he changed, and the culture he defined. Steve was such an "original," with a thoroughly creative, imaginative mind that defined an era. Despite all he accomplished, it feels like he was just getting started. With his passing the world has lost a rare original, Disney has lost a member of our family, and I have lost a great friend. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Laurene and his children during this difficult time.

Google Chairman Eric Schmidt
Steve Jobs is the most successful CEO in the U.S. of the last 25 years. He uniquely combined an artists touch and an engineers vision to build an extraordinary company... one of the greatest American leaders in history.

California Governor Edmund Brown
Steve Jobs was a great California innovator who demonstrated what a totally independent and creative mind can accomplish. Few people have made such a powerful and elegant imprint on our lives. Anne and I wish to express our deepest sympathy to Steve's wife, Laurene, and their entire family.

Dell Founder Michael Dell
Today the world lost a visionary leader, the technology industry lost an iconic legend and I lost a friend and fellow founder. The legacy of Steve Jobs will be remembered for generations to come. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to the Apple team.

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Steve lived the California Dream every day of his life and he changed the world and inspired all of us.

Former Yahoo and Autodesk CEO Carol Bartz
It’s the ultimate sadness. First of all, it’s a young person who was revered, sometimes feared, but always revered. In a way, it’s kind of prophetic; everyone was hoping he could be on stage yesterday. He was a very special person, and he didn’t get to where he was by having people like him all the time. He got to where he was because he had a vision and a purpose. It’s easy to try and please everyone, but he kept to his principles.

Google Cofounder Larry Page
I am very, very sad to hear the news about Steve. He was a great man with incredible achievements and amazing brilliance. He always seemed to be able to say in very few words what you actually should have been thinking before you thought it. His focus on the user experience above all else has always been an inspiration to me. He was very kind to reach out to me as I became CEO of Google and spend time offering his advice and knowledge even though he was not at all well. My thoughts and Google’s are with his family and the whole Apple family

NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg
Tonight, America lost a genius who will be remembered with Edison and Einstein, and whose ideas will shape the world for generations to come. Again and again over the last four decades, Steve Jobs saw the future and brought it to life long before most people could even see the horizon. And Steve's passionate belief in the power of technology to transform the way we live brought us more than smart phones and iPads: it brought knowledge and power that is reshaping the face of civilization. In New York City's government, everyone from street construction inspectors to NYPD detectives have harnessed Apple's products to do their jobs more efficiently and intuitively. Tonight our City – a city that has always had such respect and admiration for creative genius – joins with people around the planet in remembering a great man and keeping Laurene and the rest of the Jobs family in our thoughts and prayers.

New York Times Publisher Arthur Sulzberger, Jr.
Steve Jobs was a visionary and a wonderful friend of The New York Times. He pushed the boundaries of how all providers of news and information interact with our users. I am among the many who deeply regret his passing.

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson
We are saddened by the passing of Steve Jobs. Steve was an iconic inventor, visionary, and entrepreneur, and we had the privilege to know him as partner and friend. All of us at AT&T offer our thoughts and prayers to Steve’s wife, family, and his Apple family.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi
Steve Jobs was a visionary who changed the way we live, an innovator whose products brought joy to millions, a risktaker who wasn’t afraid to challenge the status quo, and an entrepreneur who led one of the most creative companies of our time.

His sage advice was respected by policymakers on both sides of the aisle. His courageous fight against cancer brought strength to many. I hope it is a comfort to those who loved him, especially his family, that so many grieve his loss and are praying for them at this sad time.

News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch
Today, we lost one of the most influential thinkers, creators and entrepreneurs of all time. Steve Jobs was simply the greatest CEO of his generation. While I am deeply saddened by his passing, I’m reminded of the stunning impact he had in revolutionizing the way people consume media and entertainment. My heart goes out to his family and to everyone who had the opportunity to work beside him in bringing his many visions to life.

Google Cofounder Sergey Brin
From the earliest days of Google, whenever Larry and I sought inspiration for vision and leadership, we needed to look no farther than Cupertino. Steve, your passion for excellence is felt by anyone who has ever touched an Apple product (including the macbook I am writing this on right now). And I have witnessed it in person the few times we have met.

On behalf of all of us at Google and more broadly in technology, you will be missed very much. My condolences to family, friends, and colleagues at Apple.

Softbank CEO Masayoshi Son
I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Steve Jobs. Steve was truly a genius of our time, a man with a rare ability to fuse art and technology. In centuries from now, he will be remembered alongside Leonardo da Vinci. His achievements will continue to shine forever.

John Lasseter, Pixar and Ed Catmull, Disney
Steve Jobs was an extraordinary visionary, our very dear friend and the guiding light of the Pixar family. He saw the potential of what Pixar could be before the rest of us, and beyond what anyone ever imagined. Steve took a chance on us and believed in our crazy dream of making computer animated films; the one thing he always said was to simply 'make it great.' He is why Pixar turned out the way we did and his strength, integrity and love of life has made us all better people. He will forever be a part of Pixar’s DNA. Our hearts go out to his wife Laurene and their children during this incredibly difficult time.

George Lucas
The magic of Steve was that while others simply accepted the status quo, he saw the true potential in everything he touched and never compromised on that vision. He leaves behind an incredible family and a legacy that will continue to speak to people for years to come.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Wow, thanks for putting all of this up.

I heard the news just minutes after it broke because I was driving and had the radio on (with the news station turned on). I was incredibly shocked to hear it and it's clear the world has lost one of it's great innovators at a young age. One can only wonder what Steve Jobs might have come up with should he have been given more time.

Even if you're not an apple fan and hate their products, you can't help but admire how much Steve Jobs changed the world with the innovations at Apple. It's clear we wouldn't be using our smartphones, laptops and mp3 players the same way without him, but most importantly the way we receive information would be quite different.

As an Apple fan, yesterday was a terrible day. As I use my iGadgets, I hope the man who invented them rests in peace.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Also windows was heavily influenced by Macs. Microsoft wouldn't be where it is tody if it weren't for Apple.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey, nelie. I worked at Apple back in the '80s. It was a fabulous place to be. I'm sorry that Steve has passed away--he was a tremendous innovator and risk taker. Not every idea he had worked out, but he never stopped coming up with new ones. He changed the way we live today.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #5  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

RIP oh so talented man. I loved this apple tribute to Steve, showing his face shadow in the apple bite, is so so AWESOME! I'm very partial to all my apples, BIG, BIG fan today, tomorrow & hopefully always!
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Photo...ForumSoftpedia

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 10-07-2011 at 07:34 AM.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

This made me smile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SteveJobs.jpg (33.4 KB, 17 views)
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

It just makes me angry that Phelps and that bunch of jackholes are going to be at the funeral.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

I was a little shocked to hear it. I knew he had a lot of health problems, but... gosh... he was only 55! Made me sad to read.

He really did have a lot of great ideas. My husband and I were talking just a couple weeks ago about some of his motives and inventions. About how one of his big dreams was making a flat handheld computer of sorts to be used for various things...

...ie The Newton. Now. The Newton didn't do so hot, but Jobs didn't give up on his idea. Because the iPad turned out to be exactly what he'd hoped the Newton would've been.

I'm glad he got to see one of his big goals become reality before he passed away.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm sad the Westboro folks are going to be there, too. That said, it speaks to the wide adoption of the technologies he created that Shirley Phelps-Roper announced that they'd be doing so using Twitter for iPhone.

The link below takes you to view a screenshot of the tweet. I find anything they talk about to be disturbing, so click at your own discretion.

http://cdn.ientry.com/sites/webprone...cs/blah123.jpg
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Once again we have given phelps and his so called church way too much attention by even posting of them...

It is no secret that Steve Jobs was not a Christian but as someone who is and someone that learns from the Bible on a regular basis I will say they are not doing what God instructs Christians to do...

and that is to...

treat all people with love and if someone is not interested in the Gospel then walk away....

in reality phelps and his people should just walk away...

go...go...please go!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #11  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

I find it very ironic that one of them tweeted from an IPHONE about the "evils" of Steve Jobs...
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #12  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I am devastated that Steve is gone. I knew he was very ill but it is still a shock. He passed way too early.
Here is a good article talking about how/why I feel so sad: http://www.macworld.com/article/1628...ls_so_sad.html
josey is offline   Reply With Quote