General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #1  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Default packable protein sources??

Hey everyone! So, Ive been trying to stick with a high-protein diet, (lots ofcarbs set me off for binges and make me super hungry!) but have a small problem, I usually leave for work around 9:00 or 10:00 A.M. and dont get home until 9 or 10 at night... I usually pack 1 whey protein shake and then have been trying to find good protein bars... sometimes Ill throw some canned tuna with mustard mixed in in my little lunch cooler, but theres only so much repetition I can take! I know nuts would be a good source also and I think they are great as snacks.. but Im looking for some MEALS!

What are some things I can bring along with me that are going to be good protein sources?? I feel like protein bars are so similar to candybars that I truly dont even feel good about one a day... any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! P.S. I dont have a microwave or fridge at either of my jobs..
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I like the Supreme Protein Bars ( I get them at Wegmans) and the Pure Protein Bars (WalMart/Sams, Target & Wegmans) Also, the individual wrapped cheese sticks or squares. I have found 2% sharp cheese for hubby that is individually wrapped. The Baby Bella cheeses also travel well.

Good Luck in finding some good tips.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #3  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

beans like kidney, garbanzo, black are filling & have ample protein, hard boiled eggs, pouches of salmon or tuna, Peanut butter or almond butter sandwich with a banana squished in middle, raw almonds, cheese sticks, jerky, fruit flavored greek yogurt with dry oats & grapes mix in...
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #4  
Jessica

I've thought about beans, will they go bad if I just put them in a container...? What about the fish? I usually just bring a can opener with a can of tuna when I have that... I have an insulated lunchbox, will that be enough?? Thanks again :-)
Old 10-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #5  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

At home I normally rinse the beans and keep them in ziploc bag or small Tupperware and eat em with a spoon at work. Tuna and salmon are sold on the shelf in a flat pouch style bag, right next to the cans normally & the convience is nice, tear open with hand, eat out of bag with spoon, no messing draining either, & they don't need refrigeration & yes all should fit in a small cooler. http://www.starkist.com/product/low-...na-water-pouch they even have small pacs of peanut butter, you can dunk an apple or pear into that with ease...http://www.jif.com/Products/Details?categoryId=276

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 10-07-2011 at 03:01 PM.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #6  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Chickpea salad! Love it!

Mix the chickpeas with some chopped red bell peppers, onions, celery, little olive oil mixed with balsamic vinegar, chilli and garlic powder and mix into the chickpeas. YUMMY!
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #7  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Oh I also do rice cakes with peanut butter and little bit of jam
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #8  

Greek yogurt is pretty high in protein. You can get small containers of it. Just pick the plain, and if you can't eat it that way, mix in some berries. I like to make beef jerky. Its easy. Use flank steak (its IS pricey but its the best cut for it) Cut the beef along the grain into 1/4 inch thick pieces by about 4 inches long and however thick the piece is. For each pound of meat, mix in 1 T sea salt and 1 teaspoon ground pepper, and a dash of garlic salt or powder. Mix well then lay the strips out in a single layer on a rack and put over a jelly roll pan. Put in a 175 degree oven for 8-12 hours until the beef is dry. Blot any fat off with a paper towel and store in an air tight container. It does not need to be refrigerated. Warning..its addictive! I have to hide it from myself to keep from eating it all...

When I cook dinner, I always make extra to put up lunches for my husband. I know you don't have a microwave, but if you have a thermos, you could make a protein heavy soup to carry.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #9  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

String cheese, almonds, greek yogurt.

I get the Chobani fat-free greek yogurt with the fruit on the bottom. I have an insulated lunch bag, as well, and the yogurt seems to stay fine in that.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #10  
Jessica

Thanks so much everyone! I can't wait to try all of these! I went grocery shopping today and bought a bunch of this stuff! I'm excited for the changes!
Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #11  
Re-losing found weight

S/C/G: 259/241/175

I know it's been a while since anyone has posted but I wanted to mention using canned chicken instead of tuna for a nice change. Macadamia nuts are wonderful for low-carbing. I don't know if you subtract the fiber grams or not but if you do then the individual portions of peanuts or cashews are good too. Other options are boiled eggs, string cheese, green beans, and perhaps get pre-made meats like rotisserie chicken or make up some hamburger patties (enough to get you through several days). These are all things that are just fine to eat without microwaving them.

Do you like salad? A chef salad or tuna salad on lettuce would be good. When low-carbing I have made things like tacos and spaghetti for my family and I only ate the taco meat and sharp cheddar cheese or the spaghetti meat sauce with some mozzarella. Once again, as long as it isn't stone cold by the time lunch time rolls around then it makes a filling lunch. You could roll the taco meat in lettuce leaves if you like lettuce.

Hope some of this helps!
Kellye
red65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #12  
Flex plan follower

S/C/G: 162.5/160.5/135

Height: 5'4

These are all awesome suggestions I'm not following a low carb diet but I have hard times with protein so I'm stoked I looked on this board. Good luck girls!
2SpareTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I love drinkable soups that you can have out of a thermos. I like homemade tomato soup, but you can also drink more protein-rich soups like split pea or pureed bean soups.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #14  

Supreme Protein makes good protein bars. Low in carbs, high in protein. Perfect fit. The peanut butter pretzel twist is amazing!
sam128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:57 AM   #15  

Height: 5'3"

A few tiger shrimp or scallops in a small container are part of my lunch on some days.

Last edited by canadianwoman; 11-11-2011 at 12:57 AM.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote