Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default VBLOC Therapy

I have been hearing more and more ads for lap band surgery. Seems every other ad on the radio is for some sort of band surgery. The other day I heard about VBLOC Therapy. They are doing some free clinical trials in my area. I haven't found anything negative about this on the web, perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

Do any of you know about it or have done it?

http://www.rechargestudy.com/

TIA.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

Interesting that this was posted today. I turned on my radio for the first time in months today (love my ipod!), and it was the first commercial I heard. I do not know anything about it, but I find it...odd...that radio ads are how they are advertising a new surgery for weight loss.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

this sounds like a new version of gastric pacing. there were some studies in the US about 10 years ago, but for some reason, they didn't work. HOWEVER, Europe has had a fair amount of success with the technology. So, docs in the US were/are confused about what happened.

other than that, I know very little. I have a friend who was one of the US subjects, and she had to have it removed - too much pain.

i'm hoping that there have been improvements since then.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

Wow. I can see why they are confused if it worked in Europe. I'm just concerned about having something implanted. I had an IUD once and it decided to go on vacation. I've never been in so much pain in all my life.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #5  

I am in the study.....just had the surgery on Sept. 29th....so far so good.
auddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Auddy,

Would you please tell us what all is involved? IU if you don't want to share but I hope you will.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/256/130

Height: 5' 3-1/2"

Auddy, I'd love to hear your story too!
disneyfan551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #8  

Default VBLOC therapy

I will have the surgery as part of the ReCharge study next Wednesday. I would be happy to share my experience and journey.
citizenoftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #9  

I've very interested to hear about this also.
WinterCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenoftheworld View Post
I will have the surgery as part of the ReCharge study next Wednesday. I would be happy to share my experience and journey.
Please do. I got my initial call yesterday and will have a phone interview from the nurse on Wed. So, please do share. Thanks for offering.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #11  
I wanna be a loser, too

So far I'm impressed however it is a bad impression. I took the morning off work for this phone interview which was supposed to happen at 10AM. It is now 11:30. I guess I'll go on into work. I didn't get a phone number to call them so I guess I won't be in the study if they don't reschedule and stick to the schedule.

I'm still interested in hearing about the experience.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #12  

I just had surgery done the other day for the ReCharge Study. I haven't been to the doc for post op followup yet, but so far things went well. I'm excited about it.
I put up a blog to chronicle my experience with it. I'll try to keep it up to date as much as I can. the site is VBLOC Weight Loss if anyone is interested.

Last edited by chubbyhubby; 11-06-2011 at 02:49 PM.
chubbyhubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thank you chubbyhubby. I just read it. Were you a little concerned about the size of it? The thought of something the size of an ipod being inserted into my body is a bit disconcerting. Please keep us up to date with your progress. Where do you live?

I'm still interested. We'll see if they left a message when I get home from work. I gave them until after noon to call. I'd forward my calls from my home to my cell phone but I'm in too many involved things at work to take an indepth personal call.

Last edited by cbmare; 10-19-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #14  
I wanna be a loser, too

Wouldn't you know it. I got home at 8 tonight and there was a message left at around 12:30. Over 2 hours late. At least they left a message. I'll call before going to work tomorrow and see what they have to say about not calling in the time they blocked off.

Last edited by cbmare; 10-22-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #15  

yeah, the size was a little bit of a concern, but not too much. Now that it's implanted, initially it is visible. It's outline can be seen around my skin and I can feel it there. I think it's more obvious now because it is a new incision. I think once the healing settles in, my body will incorporate it better. There's going to be some initial swelling with any wound, and I don't think it will be a big deal later. Right now it's definitely apparent to me though. I can feel it. My youngest daughter get's a kick out of touching it.

If you have any more questions, please let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
Thank you chubbyhubby. I just read it. Were you a little concerned about the size of it? The thought of something the size of an ipod being inserted into my body is a bit disconcerting. Please keep us up to date with your progress. Where do you live?

I'm still interested. We'll see if they left a message when I get home from work. I gave them until after noon to call. I'd forward my calls from my home to my cell phone but I'm in too many involved things at work to take an indepth personal call.

Last edited by chubbyhubby; 11-17-2011 at 12:16 AM.
chubbyhubby is offline   Reply With Quote