Old 10-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #1  
(slim) shady

S/C/G: 193/188/155

Height: 5'2"

Question Importance of Low Carb to newbie meal plan & exercise?

I wasn't sure where to post this so I hope I'm in the right place and I hope I'm not duplicating a thousand threads.

I've been on plan for a month now doing WW/calorie counting and I work out nearly every day.

Obviously a lot of people say carbs are bad and that low carb is a really good option for weight loss. I don't really pay attention to carbs at all and I am wondering if I should start to?

I had good weight loss my 1st month, 9 lbs lost. I am strict about my WW points and logging all the food eat. My original thought has been - I will eat the carbs if it fits into my points but now I'm starting to wonder if cutting out carbs will help even more with weight loss.

Very often I have pasta for dinner (I hear some of you gasping). I measure out the 56 grams of Barilla Plus pasta, cook it, measure out my tomato sauce and enjoy. The Barilla Plus is high protein and has other good omega 3's and such in it. I figure if I am eating the serving size and counting the points and it's not making me go over my plan than it can't be that bad. What do others think? I have a feeling you will say to cut out the pasta! Its just such an easy dinner option but I can easily stop eating it if people think it's detrimental to weight loss.

I eat a lot of granola bars throughout the day that I am sure have a decent # of carbs in them but they are also high protein and high fiber and I eat a Thomas Smart Start English Muffin everyday usually for lunch because its only 1 point.

How do I do WW/low cal & do low carb at the same time??!! I'm not sure what to do - maybe I should start by not eating the pasta so much for dinner. I don't know if its hindering my weight loss - maybe I could be losing even more? I don't know much about carbs ...... what do others think??

As always I greatly appreciate all advice & support!
steinanwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:47 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinanwine View Post
I don't know much about carbs ...... what do others think??
My suggestion would be to read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution cover to cover. This will give you a complete understanding of the low carb lifestyle....exactly how & why it works.
You can't do something correctly if you lack the knowledge. Knowledge is power.
Unfortunately, low carb & programs such as Atkins have gotten a bad name over the years because most people make uneducated assumptions. Those of us on low carb don't sit and eat pounds of red meat, bacon & butter all day. Much to low carb nay-sayers surprise, salads, veggies and even lower carb fruits are staples when doing low carb. That being said, the only way of knowing exactly how any plan works is to do the research.
All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote