Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/256.8/115

Height: 4'11"

Default First Day at Gym = Disaster

Went to the gym for the first time today (not my first time ever, just my first time since I started trying to get fit).

First of all, I told my mother I would go with her three days per week. I have a habit of thinking things will always be different, so I agree to do things with her, and then I somehow end up in tears. I went on the treadmill next to her and she kept telling me to slow down b/c my heart rate was too high. It was slightly higher than my target heart rate zone (6 BPM higher), but I was not hurting and I didn't feel like I was overdoing it.

So then I got off the treadmill and tried to do the recumbent bike. The first one I got on, I managed to do it without looking dumb and then realized there was an out of order sign on it. I couldn't get the second one to adjust right (I am only 4'10" so the seat has to be all the way up), so I tried to do it the way it was set and I couldn't. So I tried to get off of it and my damn shoe got caught in the pedal and fell off. I felt so stupid and like everyone was probably thinking "look at that stupid fattie caught in the pedal!" Really, I don't think anyone was looking, but still...I felt dumb.

I'm not going to quit, but I am feeling pretty discouraged right now.

Last edited by medigal; 10-03-2011 at 08:32 AM.
medigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

*hugs*

Don't worry about it- first time I went on a treadmill I lasted TWO freaking minutes- how pathetic is that?
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
*hugs*

Don't worry about it- first time I went on a treadmill I lasted TWO freaking minutes- how pathetic is that?
Thank you SO much for your support. It really means a lot to me, and it helps. I think I was the treadmill for about 13 minutes -- I know I'd gone more than 0.6 miles, but my mother was bugging me, so then I got off and tried the bike. The bike problem is REALLY what threw me over the edge.

I need to find better shoes. I have spina bifida and my feet stick out to the sides, so I always get blisters when I wear shoes that hit my ankles. I have backless Skechers, which are super comfy, but 1) they were sliding around while I was on the treadmill and creating so much friction, my feet felt like they were on fire; and 2) that's why my shoe fell off on the bike -- there was nothing keeping it on my foot!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: S/C/G --- 240/236/140

Height: 5'5"

Same thing would probably happen to me. I have never been to a gym in my life, and I have no idea how to use 90% of those machines!
KellyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #5  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

You know what? Don't even worry about it. I am constantly fighting with equipment in the gym! Sometimes it really is my fault, but sometimes the equipment is just broken or stuck or something. And don't even get me started about the ragtag spin bikes in the cycling room... those things are constantly falling apart! One time I got off my bike probably 5 minutes into class and switched bikes because I couldn't get the adjuster on the handle bar to tighten. I was just standing there setting up the second bike as everyone else is pedaling furiously around me. It did occur to me that I might look a little funny, but it made the next 55 minutes so much easier to have handlebars that weren't wobbling around everywhere!

I could really go on an on about silly things I've done at the gym... iPods flying, shoes that won't clip in, weight machines that no matter how hard I yank will not adjust to where I want it. My point is that we've all been there! Don't let it discourage you! And you're probably right that no one was even looking anyway.

The thing about your mom... don't let that discourage you either! Ask her in the nicest possible way to mind her own damn business and/or don't go on the treadmill next to her. Showing up and doing it is a victory, you don't need someone cramping your style the whole time!

You'll have to report back when you go to the gym next time and tell us about how much you kicked a$$!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

I'm joining our local Rec Center tomorrow and they insist that new members have an orientation with a trainer their first time. They will show me how to use the machines, adjust them, what they're good for, etc.

Could you ask that someone help you use the machines your first time so you know how they work? I think they'd want to so people don't get injured.
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

Default (((hugs)))

Everyone has issues when they first go to the gym. Let it go. It gets easier. Good for you for going and keep up the good work. You'll be a gym rat in no time! So many people think they are being looked at, but they're not. How about scheduling a session with a gym employee to show you all the equipment and how to set it up properly for your height?
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #8  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

We've totally all been there. I fall off my spin bike at least once a month.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #9  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Don't worry! It's really tough to start going to the gym. My roommate and I recently started going, and we're constantly doing clumsy things and generally looking ridiculous. I'm often on a stairmaster about to die next to someone moving twice as fast. Whatever you do, don't stop going because of that stuff. It'll only make you feel worse.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

It is tough to get into a routine and learn all the new equipment! Keep in mind that that learning curve is for everyone!

Honestly, it would not work for me to go to the gym with anyone. Not even my mom or a close friend. Maybe someday it will, but right now I like picking my own machines and not worrying about what someone else is thinking or doing. Is it possible that your next few visits can be solo while you figure out a routine and what machines you like and dislike? I think it would really help you.

Last edited by djs06; 10-03-2011 at 12:38 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #11  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Don't stress it!!! We have ALL been there. I'm a former college athlete and the first time I went to my local gym I couldn't figure out how to turn on the treadmill. I sure felt stupid too having to ask someone else but I figured it out and now I use it just fine.

Plus, there is ALWAYS some sort of equipment malfunction. You just learn to deal with it and move on.

Maybe try and go to the gym by yourself next time so you don't have the added stress of your mom looking over your shoulder? It really doesn't matter about your heart rate (the fat burning zone thing is a myth) so just the fact that you ARE doing something is amazing, keep up the good work!

Oh, and like others said, no one else is paying attention... well, except for the time when I pinched my figure with a dumbbell and started saying a lot of really colorful words loudly.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #12  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Hehehe that's why I'm doing my workouts at home! I'm so clumsy I would fall and trip over everything! Haha.

Tomorrow is a brand new day, it will go better next time! *hug*
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #13  

Thanks, everyone, for making me laugh and feel better. A solo trip to the gym to have an employee show me how to use everything would be good, and I can do that tomorrow.

The HR thing -- my mom wasn't trying to say I wasn't at the right HR to burn fat, she thought it was too high as in dangerous for me. So even though I was grumpy this morning (I have raging PMS and it was 6:00 AM), I can't be mad at her for being concerned.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #14  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

Hey we've all had those moments.

One time I was walking through the parking lot towards the gym, wearing flip flops (change of shoes were in my bag), digging in my bag with both hands to find my membership card, when suddenly I tripped over my feet and fell flat on my face. Gave myself a bloody nose, plus a black eye emerged the next morning and lasted for WEEKS.

Yep, gave myself a freaking black eye on a patch of pavement that couldn't get more flat and smooth if you tried.

It'll be better next time! Just maybe work out away from your mom to minimize that added stress and see if they offer some kind of equipment orientation. Most gyms seem to!
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #15  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/130

Height: 5'7

Awe
Sweetie, we all have those days! Once, my ipod fell off the treadmill when I was jogging, people thought I fell off, they all turned and looked at me scared. I was mortified. But I just kept going. Once I tripped over myself in a Zumba class. Those classes are ALWAYS full. That was terrible too. But I just got up and laughed about it. The class made sure I was okay, then they laughed about it with me, and we all got back to our workout.

Don't stop going because you fell. Gotta get back up and keep going!
TheLindsy is offline   Reply With Quote