Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Rockin' rOctober Running!

Fall is here and so is another month of running!

So bring your rockin' booties to the party and share your running stories. Short, long, beginner or master - we don't care as long as you RUN!

So I'm into my second week of my first marathon training starting Monday and today I'm in day two of a 4 day exercise rest and about ready to jump out a window! I must say though, even a day and a half in I'm feeling a lot better. My knees feel like they're healing and so does my arch. And my body as a whole is just feeling less run down. So I think I really needed an "official" rest. If I think about it, I don't think I've taken a realy rest for probably 2 years...dumb, dumb, dumb. I'm learning lots and lots about my body and one of them being - it's OK to rest! I'm not going to lose fitness or gain a bunch of weight with a short control rest period.

Anyway, my marathon training won't really take of for about 6 weeks, so really I'm jush plugging along and taking this time to lose the little bit of weight I gained back and get back into last year's goal pants and back down to my preferred racing weight. It's the perfect time of year for me, because my DH works less and my binging opportunities decrease which is the real problem anyway. My milage is also at a good point that will allow for my calories to be where they need to be. It is a little pressure though because I know that when my milage starts to ramp up, weight loss will be nearly impossible. I think I'll do fine though, I refuse to by any new clothes!.

Hope everyone is well, happy running!

Last edited by ncuneo; 09-30-2011 at 04:22 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

Oh yeah and I got new running shoes last night! I won't need them for probably another 150 miles, but they're waiting for me!
Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Ncueno-- if you artart rotating your shoes now (new one day, old the next.. old for long runs untill the new are totally broken in) you will get a MUCH longer life on the old shoes!! Its true... so give the new one s a try on your next runs, and then just alternate shoes every run after that... save a lot of money in th elong run
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #4  
Closet health nut!

Thanks MK, good advice.

BTW, did you check out my training schedule at the end of September's thread?

Oh and any good podcast recommendations for those long runs? I'm just finishing up a bulk of the Marathon Training Academy podcasts, but I've been listening at work.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #5  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

Hi runners! Happy oct.

I tried to maintain my training and byild distance today withnmy bum knee. It was a slight fail. I got to 4 miles and walked the .8 miles left home. I sgould have known when my body didnt wake up at it normal running time. By the time i got out there it was already too hot.

Im trying to look at the bright side, though, 1. I improved my mile time when i was running, and 2. I ran 4 miles!

Ncuneo- congrats on the new shoes! I love shopping. Im sort of dreading the day when i will have to get new shoes since mine are so comfy, but i think its the superfeet orthotics and not the shoes that make it easy to run..
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #6  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

ncuneo - just seen your 'goal pics' - congratulations on your half! I never realised you'd started running only a year ago and never realised that you've lost so much weight in the last few years. Wow, what a journey!!
Best of luck with the marathon training! It's more than i've been brave enough to tackle, but with your track record it'll just be another great achievement to notch up!

Belting it down with rain here at the moment, so i've settled for a gym visit in place of a run today!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #7  

Default Podcast Ideas

Hi, I haven't ever responded to anything before, been kind of lurking and learning from everybodies responses. I just started running in May and have done 4 5k's, plan on racing my first quarter marathon in 2 weeks and have been progressing pretty good....longest run has been 8 miles, planning on 9 miles tomorrow. Anyways, I seen the question about podcasts to listen to while running and I really like a podcast called "Running with the Pack". It's so informative and entertaining. I've listened to all the 2010 and 2011 episodes to date. Love, love, love the speakers comments and conversations and I forget I'm running sometimes...lol. Just wanted to pass that info on.
cyndeejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #8  
Closet health nut!

Thanks Ang! That thread is actually a year old and I'm coming up on my two year running aniversary soon. I don't actually remember the day I started running, I just remember deciding in November of 2009 that it was time to take my weight loss all the way and at some point between then and January of 2010 I started jogging small distances, by April of 2010 I was able to run 3 miles and decided to run my firt half marathon in May or June of 2010. Which leads me to today having completed 2 halfs and gearing up to train for a full. It's been a very full filling journey and almost more impactful to me than losing the weight. Running has become part of my identity and it gives me purpose, goals, a weight manangement system, and most importantly a way to relieve stress and forgo therapy LOL! Seriously, there are some pretty dark times in these past 2 years for me and my family and I do struggle pretty seriously with depression and aniexty, but running has given me something more than any therapist or pill ever could.

Anyway, not sure how I got on that sappy story. I guess running is just such a big part of my life now and so important to me, and remembering that thread from a year ago got me a little sentimental.

Today is the last day of my 4 day break, thanks goodness! I'm dieing! I'm ready to jump out a window from no exercise and I miss running like crazy! My knees feel really good and today I'm actually going to pick up a foam roller and start doing IT Band massage exercise and stretches to hopefully finish the healing and avoid the problem getting any worse. What I really should have done was take the "exercise break" back in April when the pain started. My foot/arch on the other hand (mild planter facitis) is better than it was but still the same as it's been the last few weeks. We did quite a bit of walking yesterday and it actually seems like walking bothers my foot more than the running...kinda weird. So I'm going to also start doing more stretches and massages of my foot, maybe some icing as well.

So I'm going to need to be very careful with my training to make sure I make it to the starting line in-tact. So tomorrow I have a nice easy 3 miler waiting for me to ease me back into the swing of things - can't wait!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I also have/had the arch problem - it really stinks!

So, I went and got a shoe sole formed especially for my foot and then I bought new shoes.

Now it is barely there.... for example, I used to get the arch pain after about 55 min. of running - it also hurt when I walked. Now I can go much longer before I notice it, if I notice it.

Also, the shoes you wear everyday to work, etc. can also influence it majorly.

It was pretty painful, I'd always squint through the last minutes of my run. But, my arch seems to have eventually adapted.

Sunday: Jogged 7km (45min) followed by 30 min. yoga. I know I've said this before, but let me just say again how wonderful it is to follow up running with a yoga session.... the muscles are already warmed up - its great.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #10  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

yeah, there's something about running that becomes a part of you. And i totally agree on the stress relief aspect. Running just gives so many benefits to health, both mental and physical, way above what you'd reasonably expect for such a simple pastime!!

I have ITB issues too, actually that's why i've never done the full marathon, or got much above 26km. As soon as i start training seriously it seems to kick in, or actually some shin splint thing was the culprit last time - which is a new one for me. Sigh.
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

3 miles today - running with my dogs. They usually start out a bit wild and unfocused, but when they get into the groove it is great. 3 is the longest I have run and I seem to have a mental block about more mileage. I really need to push for more...
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #12  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

ncuneo - Glad you are feeling better, and hope your foot/arch is doing well so you can start training. Your story is pretty inspirational. 2 years is not that long ago for starting to run. Good luck on your training.

jayohwhy - congrats on improving your mile time!

cyndee - congrats on training for your first 1/4 marathon!

unna - I like yoga too, but haven't done it in so long!

ange - I like running too, but i am finding it hard to increase my distance. I've been doing intervals, but perhaps I need to run more often. Any tips folks?

---
I ran 3 miles today. 2 miles were interval training which has helped me with increasing my speed. I found it harder to run today because I was up late last night. Happy running everyone!
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #13  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi runners....

I have run 2 half marathons in the past 2 weekends. I will never be really fast, but I did manage to bring the half on Saturday down to 2:07. My first half in March took slightly over 2:24, so I'm improving. I have another one next weekend, and I hope to just match my time.

I feel very lucky. No injuries this year, so apparently my training is successful. I have my first full marathon on Nov. 13th, with another close to follow on Dec. 4th. That is, if I live through the first one!

Good luck to all of you runners. I don't post much, but occasionally I get to read everyone's stories and I love all of the tips and tricks.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

hi everyone

Oh ITB issues.... yes I've got em. Two words: Foam Roller!!!

unna I think I have a mental block against doing any exercise after I run... but I am a yoga fiend and doing yoga after a long run sounds really nice.

milmin congrats on your halves! and no injuries!

For me today: 6K. It was hot and hilly, but nice
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #15  
Closet health nut!

I actually just got a foam roller yedyerday! How long after udi g it did you start to get real relief?

I ran my first run in 4 days this morning, just an easy 3, and I thought I'd rock it, but 4 days of and lazy eating and my easy 3 felt like he//. My body felt like lead...my knees feel ok and my arch feels ok too, so just continued easy running and some stretching and foam rolling I think.

Also, I've started a blog on runners world that will document everyday of my marathon training if anyone is interest. My user name is the same over there.