Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 313 / 225.25 / 135

Height: 5'4

Default Gym Membership!

I have a few questions regarding some generic info on gym memberships. My boyfriend and I are weighing our options as far as which gym in town we'd like to go to (there are three options total). What are some key things I should take into account regarding fees or other information? One has some really bad reviews and based off that and the fact the price is higher across the board we're writing it off at the get go. One is a community center but since we aren't married it costs us $240/person vs $270 for a married couple (maybe I should just con him into getting hitched right? LOL). The other option is a more lock and key 24 hour gym that seems to have a lot more equipment. They run $19.99/mo so for the price its going to be the same per year per person as we'd have to pay at the community center more or less. Community Center DOES have a pool but the boyfriend isn't a swimming fan. We'd like to workout 4+ days a week and timeframe is of no consequence at the moment between the gyms.

We're both close to 300 pounds, I'm 5'4 he's 6'2 (I think) so he holds the weight a bit better then I do. The 24 hour gym also has spinning classes which I've heard things about. I'm a pear shape so my hips and thighs are my major problem area. The Community Center offers Zumba classes which is another thing I've looked into. I'm not a social butterfly and I think that the Community Center equipment is a bit older/outdated vs what little I saw of the other gym. Also, in college I had that stigma when I went to workout there that the gym was just for sports jocks keeping fit and felt very out of place. We've been to the community center twice now and I don't feel that way as much but has anyone ever been negatively met by a gym when you are packing a few extra pounds? (it seems redundant as crap to me that people would think this way but I definitely felt it in college =|)

Do any gyms ever give great promotional fees or couples sign-on discounts of any sort, or is $19.99 what I'm looking at aside from getting married/community center/sub-par equipment. I've checked the 24 hour gym's facebook page and it seems they give a free month here and there if you find it (tends to only last a week).

Any other advice as I attempt to contact this other gym about details? Is there any conduct as a 'gym-newbie' that I should be aware of going into this? lol Probably some silly questions but this is uncharted territory for me haha!
KD1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I think the best gym for you is the one that you'll use. I've read that proximity to your house greatly increases going to the gym. Mine is a mile from my house and between my house and office, so that has held true for me.

I negotiate pretty hard on fees. Most gyms would rather get you for a lower amount than not. Also, all those Groupon/Living Social type sites often have gym discounts.

I would try to see if you can get a 30 day trial at one of the gyms you like to make sure you really will go and like it.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLess View Post
I think the best gym for you is the one that you'll use. I've read that proximity to your house greatly increases going to the gym. Mine is a mile from my house and between my house and office, so that has held true for me.
This, a million times, this!!!! I use the local community center and it's actually a tiny bit more expensive than some of the other gyms around here but the location is most convenient and they offer child care at hours I can use. It's on the route between my house and my college so I drive by it every single day. I've worked it into my morning routine so that I don't know what to do with myself if I don't go!!! Just pick one and DO IT!!!! You'll feel so much better once you get your heart racing a few times a week.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

Proximity does make a difference. Being comfortable also makes a difference. I upgraded my gym membership so i could work out at two gyms partly because I was so uncomfortable by one of the personal trainers that is a major creep. You just do what feels the best for you. I also have an elliptical at home and lots of work out stuff so I technically don't have to be at the gym at all. Something about the whole working out atmosphere. Gym classes are only scary if you let them be. People are pretty nice!!
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #5  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

A lot of times if you don't sign up right away, the membership salesperson will offer you a 1 or 2 week free pass to give you time to try out the facility and give you more time to make up your mind. It can be a great way to really get a feel for the place, try the equipment/classes you'd want to do at the times you'd normally be using them, see if this is a place you could see yourself long term.

As was already said, comfort and proximity are both important. I joined a gym that was more expensive but made me feel more comfortable. It's associated with our local hospital (a lot of gyms in the suburbs here are) and that really seems to have encouraged a diverse range of ages and sizes and classes for all different levels.

Close to my heaviest weight, one time I was about to start an exercise class and another chick in it gave me an exaggerated up and down disgusted look, but... shrug? Everyone else has been super nice and supportive before that and since then, and life is too short to quit getting healthy because one person wanted to give me a snotty look. Obviously if the total vibe is unwelcoming it's another thing, but if you happen to run into one exception that feels the need to put their disapproval on you, you give them way way too much power if you let it impact your weight loss journey.

Last edited by Somni; 10-02-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #6  

Thanks all for the replies We're going to get in contact with the 24 hr gym and see if we can get some sort of trial period!

Last edited by KD1234; 10-02-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #7  

Signed up for a gym today! We went with the 24 hr one. It had a two person discount and he gave us a month free! Price for two of us was $244.41 for 7 months and after that it will be $189 for 6 months afterward . Classes are included as well and they have zumba and spinning which were the two I wanted. Also kickboxing and a few others. I think we did good!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #8  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

reading this thread has me excited about joining the gym again. How do you like it? The last gym I was at was with a hospital and never had a problem with snotty people at all .. We have a new 24 hr type gym a lot closer than the other gym I used and it's way cheaper. I shop in the same plaza along with using a dry cleaners there so the it's to far to drive excuse wouldn't work. Also I'm sometimes up when most of the world is sleeping and it would be nice to be able to sneak in a workout before most people start their day. I never took any of the classes though... was always scared I wouldn't be able to keep up. I would just pick a machine and go at my own pace. Once I'm in better shap I would like to make that a goal.
Losing4another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #9  
Sufferer of abibliophobia

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD1234 View Post
Signed up for a gym today! We went with the 24 hr one. It had a two person discount and he gave us a month free! Price for two of us was $244.41 for 7 months and after that it will be $189 for 6 months afterward . Classes are included as well and they have zumba and spinning which were the two I wanted. Also kickboxing and a few others. I think we did good!
Good for you!! I was going to vote for the 24hr one. The gym I go to doesn't open til 7am on weekends, and it's really a PITA that I can't go earlier before my kids wake up. You never know how nice it is to go to the gym alone until you have kids! I do, however, realize that I am lucky to have a gym with a family fitness room.
pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #10  

So far so good! They have a ton of equipment both strength and cardio and I am considering doing zumba classes til I shed a bit more weight. I tried the spinning bikes and my bum is kinda large on top of the soreness it's going to put on my crotch region lol. Should I wait to do that? Or just go for it? Lol. I haven't gone at night yet but I HAVE had urges to do so! This gym has a daycare and spa attached during business hours. I feel SO great after a workout too!